Author Topic: Digital platforms for PC gaming  (Read 697 times)

xploitocelot

Digital platforms for PC gaming
« on: December 05, 2015, 01:05:01 pm »
Hey guys, when are we giving the welcome to Origin and Uplay? Steam and Gog.com are not everything! :)

Re: Digital platforms for PC gaming
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2015, 02:37:22 pm »
Very good point! There's Impulse too.  8)

karyann

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2015, 06:35:37 pm »
Just to set the context: I'm no PC expert, so I'm not putting my vote in, merely gathering statements to help the decision-making :)

This had been previously discussed by Foxhack, who was our PC expert. His answer is old, though (dated 2012), and things change a lot in that kind of time span. However, he had a valid point, so I think it's good to think about it once more.

I know most people hate it, but since most new EA PC games are Origin only would it be possible to add Origin as a platform?
Not quite...

We have a catch-all PC / Digital Download category in which we've been adding games. Steam has its own platform because of the insane amount of games it has, and sometimes, they have exclusive content.

Most of the time, digitally distributed games are exactly the same across all stores. The only difference is the storefront. So digital games go in that category. If the item has exclusive content - like the stuff from GOG, then you add it with the store name in parenthesis. But if it really doesn't... well, you just add it like a normal game. Take for example, Crysis 2.

http://vgcollect.com/item/29594

I added a generic entry, but when I added it to my collection, I typed "EA Origin download version" in my personal notes. This is the same game that's available at lots of other places, but since I got it at Origin, I mentioned that in my notes.

Also, we don't have a specific Games for Windows Live category either. Origin and GFWL (much more than Origin) are more game DRM than actual platform.

If they really are just a storefront with no difference to the games, the implications would be multiple entries for each individual game, with no difference other than the platform. This could be akin to how some games are exactly the same between, say, PS4 and XBOne, though.

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2015, 02:58:02 pm »
He was right in that some sites just act as a retailer. Once you give them the money, they allow you to download the game directly. Sites like Direct2Drive used to operate like that where you would get an EXE installer and that was it. You don't tend to see that as much today unless it's a small company. Today most games are integrated into Steam or other platforms as a form of DRM. For example if you got onto Amazon and purchase a download title it will require you to activate the product through Steam or other service.

I would say Origin is in a similar league to Steam. It's more than just a retailer. Most big budget EA games require you to have Origin running.

xploitocelot

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 11:39:54 am »
Moreover guys, there are cases with old releases when even if the game is the same, the gaming platform does not offer the same stuff INSIDE the game (and I am mostly talking about languages). As an example, at GOG.com you will find PoP The Two Thrones in 3 languages, while with Steam (here in Europe) or Uplay do offer 5 of them.
Anyway, we are not talking here only about retailers. We are talking about real gaming platforms with an specific app for installing in you system, platfoms with their own servers for online multiplayer gaming.

I'm not talking about places for buying keys, but when we recognize Steam and GOG as individuals for PC gaming, we should give the step to give its place for Origin and UPlay already.

I cannot give any opinion about others, but I'm quite sure about these two! O.o