Author Topic: 52 Games Challenge *2016*  (Read 67314 times)

maximo310

Re: 52 Games Challenge *2016*
« Reply #105 on: March 07, 2016, 02:26:10 am »
Updates from last week:

15. Fire Emblem Fates (3DS)- Chp.7 Birthright/Chp. 7 Conquest- Haven't gotten too much time to play it this week, but so far, I'm liking how the use of strategic elements on maps has gone up, the pair up mechanic isn't broken like Awakening, and they decided to go back to the damage formula present in the older Fire Emblems(FE 1-6) meaning that its more of a challenge this time around.  This seems to be a verygood improvement from Awakening, and since I'm doing Conquest line first, the maps will continue to be challenging w/ varied objectives.

16. Night Striker (Arcade Taito Z Board/PS2)3cc completed- A pretty solid looking Space Harrier clone with some pretty decent music, although it has a lot of repeated enviornments/bosses despite the 26 zones ( named A-Z like Darius). I just wish I had a better control setup cuz my keyboard's d-pad is not good for dodging those nasty missiles. Available on Taito Legends PS2, and import ports on the Saturn/PS1.  7/10

17. Liquid Kids(Arcade Taito F2 Board/PS2) 1cc completed- Cutesy platformer similiar to stuff like NewZelandStory and Bubble Bobble. This one has a very fair difficulty curve compared to some arcade platformers I've seen; has some good scoring mechanics with killing more enemies in a row generates additional points+ items. Defenitely reccomended for any platformer fan, also on Taito Legends for PS2. 8.5/10

« Reply #106 on: March 07, 2016, 02:55:35 pm »
My ratio kind of died after playing Fallout 4 for a week, but i'm sitting at 27 beat out of 38 played.

More than half way there.

« Reply #107 on: March 07, 2016, 08:37:50 pm »
My ratio kind of died after playing Fallout 4 for a week, but i'm sitting at 27 beat out of 38 played.

Damn, that's not bad! I'm almost on pace to finish up at exactly 52 by years end (at 10 finished right now)

kashell

« Reply #108 on: March 08, 2016, 08:05:20 am »
After I got back on Sunday, I did some power gaming through a couple of games. The first was Glover. I didn't finish it, but I got to a good point in which I said, "That's enough." The review for that is on my page.

The second was Shenmue. Damn, what a game. It had truck-sized ambition and a look that rivals the stuff seen on the current gen. I'll probably end up watching a video for Shenmue II since I don't have an original Xbox.

« Reply #109 on: March 08, 2016, 08:25:59 am »

Damn, that's not bad! I'm almost on pace to finish up at exactly 52 by years end (at 10 finished right now)
I'm gonna try to concentrate on beating some of the games I've already started with.  Hoping to finish RCRDX today.

After I got back on Sunday, I did some power gaming through a couple of games. The first was Glover. I didn't finish it, but I got to a good point in which I said, "That's enough." The review for that is on my page.

The second was Shenmue. Damn, what a game. It had truck-sized ambition and a look that rivals the stuff seen on the current gen. I'll probably end up watching a video for Shenmue II since I don't have an original Xbox.
N64 Glover I assume.  You should play the PSX version and hate it even more.

Shenmue was on my wishlist, because I have Shenmue II, but when they announced Shenmue III it went from a $15 game to a $40 game.  I knocked it off my wishlist because I just don't care enough to deal with those shenanigans.  When games jump more than 100% of their asking price overnight, I just decide it's not a game worth having right now.  Phantom Dust is a good example I think.

telly

« Reply #110 on: March 08, 2016, 09:02:44 am »

Interested on what you think of Shenmue. I've only played it a little bit and I've heard so many different opinions about it!
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #111 on: March 08, 2016, 10:12:11 am »

Shenmue 2 is slightly better than the first imo, especially the story and characters. It is well worth the $40 asking price on ebay, especially if you enjoyed he first one.

kashell

« Reply #112 on: March 08, 2016, 11:13:20 am »
I don't have any intention of purchasing an original Xbox, so the chances of me playing Shenmue II are close to zero.

I actually liked Glover; I just got tired of it and the camera started to irritate me. If things were slightly more polished, I could see it being a game I go back to just to kill time. I heard the PS version was terrible.

« Reply #113 on: March 08, 2016, 11:19:08 am »
I don't have any intention of purchasing an original Xbox, so the chances of me playing Shenmue II are close to zero.

I actually liked Glover; I just got tired of it and the camera started to irritate me. If things were slightly more polished, I could see it being a game I go back to just to kill time. I heard the PS version was terrible.
I had Glover 64 on my wishlist a year or so ago and my wife decided to buy Glover for me...

She bought a loose disc Glover PSX.  I was dumbfounded.  I had no clue there was a PSX version, I wish I still didn't know.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #114 on: March 08, 2016, 11:39:08 am »
I play games way too slow to hope to clear this. We're already 2.5 months in and I'm at like 2 games finished.

« Reply #115 on: March 09, 2016, 12:19:04 pm »
Finished 28 last night.  So 28 beat out of 38 played I think.

Now that I'm more than halfway through with the 52 game challenge, I've made some observations about myself.

Prior to taking part in the 52 games challenge, I would strictly play games based on whether or not I actually wanted to play the game, occasionally I would play for achievements.  So I would maintain a gigantic backlog and I would spend more time deciding on a game to play than actually playing games in most cases.  But when I did pick a game, I would play it until I was bored and never play it again, or I would play the game fairly thoroughly until I was tired of playing it.

But now, I'm noticing that I'm knocking out more backlog because I'm not thinking about what game to play, I just play something.  But on the other hand, I'm also basically speed running these games, doing very little side stuff and just playing to get the credits to pop.  There are exceptions, quite a few games I liked so much that I spent way more time than necessary to pop the credits.  But a game like Retro City Rampage DX, I played through it very quickly, did 0 side missions, and just ran through the story and wiped my hands of it.  A game like Fallout 4, Rise of the Tomb Raider, Capsule Force, Party Hard, etc... completely random games, I spent tons of time on these games doing tons of side stuff and trying to unlock everything.  Without the 52 challenge, I may not have played Capsule Force or Party Hard, but I would've played Fallout and Tomb Raider regardless.  I definitely wouldn't have forced myself to finish RCR without this challenge.

tl;dr I'm bursting through backlog like crazy, at the cost of putting a lot of effort into the games.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 03:43:44 pm by ctracy87 »

« Reply #116 on: March 09, 2016, 02:38:42 pm »
Yeah, creating arbitrary goals for myself is definitely one of the best ways I have found to power through games (or spend time playing something that I'm starting to find dull).

rayne315

« Reply #117 on: March 09, 2016, 06:19:46 pm »
My Gf finally beat her first game this year and has added it to my post on page 1. We are also going back and forth editing it to make it look better.
GF: We?! You mean me!!
Rayne: What are you talking about babe? I edited it too. Plus you had a typo.
GF: Guys don't believe this weirdo, if it wasn't for my fixes his posts would look terrible
Rayne: Help! She's trying to take over my account!! Tell her to stop!!
GF: You love me. I find the best finds. Who basically got you your Gold PS4? Who found a .hack game for 50 cents?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 07:35:27 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

« Reply #118 on: March 09, 2016, 07:47:39 pm »
My Gf finally beat her first game this year and has added it to my post on page 1. We are also going back and forth editing it to make it look better.
GF: Guys don't believe this weirdo, if it wasn't for my fixes his posts would look terrible
GF: You love me. I find the best finds. Who basically got you your Gold PS4? Who found a .hack game for 50 cents?
Your girlfriend is weird.

kashell

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2016, 08:09:37 am »
Your girlfriend is weird.

Who cares if she's weird as long as she this comment has been removed because it might offend some participant's delicate sensibilities.

I restarted Resonance of Fate last night. I'm thinking about making that my next trophy quest. I played it when it was first released and really enjoyed it. After going through the refresher tutorial courses, I'm thinking I might be able to get the platinum since there are some exploits available that I didn't know about.