Author Topic: Doom 3 BFG Edition for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3  (Read 1869 times)

htimreimer

Doom 3 BFG Edition for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
« on: May 31, 2012, 05:56:05 am »
to quote kotaku:("DOOM 3 was enthusiastically embraced by gamers worldwide at its release," id's technical director (and Doom co-creator) John Carmack said in today's press-release. "Today, the full experience has been enhanced and extended to be better than ever, and is delivered across all the platforms with a silky smooth frame rate and highly responsive controls. New support for 3D TVs, monitors, and head mounted displays also allows players to experience the game with more depth than ever before. We think shooter fans everywhere will love it."

The Doom 3 BFG Edition will include the original game with "greatly enhanced graphics" and a checkpoint save system, the already-released add-on Resurrection Evil, the new solo expansion, copies of Doom 1 and Doom 2 and...

Oh my god, there's more:

"DOOM 3 now features the new armor-mounted flashlight, allowing players to illuminate dark corners and blast enemies at the same time.")

http://kotaku.com/5914239/new-doom-3-for-xbox-360-and-playstation-3-supports-head+mounted-displays

Re: Doom 3 BFG Edition for PC, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 03:48:53 pm »
I dont know about this.... I'd rather Doom 4...

jobocan

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:01 pm »

Yeah, all these HD versions of old games is starting to get a bit annoying. I'd rather see the effort put on new stuff with all these remakes of games that aren't that old being a bit more dispersed.

amauriel

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2012, 05:09:34 pm »

Yeah, all these HD versions of old games is starting to get a bit annoying. I'd rather see the effort put on new stuff with all these remakes of games that aren't that old being a bit more dispersed.

I'd agree, but then I remember what a beautiful job they did with Ico and Shadow of the Colossus in HD, and all is pretty much forgiven.  The 3D mode for Colossus is the best 3D I've seen for any game so far...I actually feel like something is missing if I play it in 2D now.
"You can buy everything, except love, friendship, and exp. points."

ffxik

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2012, 05:29:15 pm »
So.  Are we going to get to actually spend some time in Hell this time?  Or.  Is it going to be just more space station genericness

jcalder8

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:40:11 am »
Considering they are calling it BFG edition I would expect at least a model of a gun.

I'll pick it up when it drops far enough but there just isn't anything that makes this a must have for me.

kirbysuperstar

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2012, 05:05:33 am »
So.  Are we going to get to actually spend some time in Hell this time?  Or.  Is it going to be just more space station genericness

Did you not play through the entirety of Doom 3? You went through it for a few levels and then back there again at the end to fight the Cyberdemon. I haven't played through all of Resurrection of Evil yet, but I assume you go there at some stage.

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2012, 11:36:58 am »
I think I'll pick it up for some of the extra features, but honestly I agree it's starting to get old because not to be mean or anything, I like Doom 3 enough, but Doom 3 isnt good enough to warrant a re-release. I mean at least the Silent Hill HD remake is somewhat worth it, with arguably the two best in the series....
But how much room do I have to talk when I have a lot of versions of Street Fighter and want that new collection
haha

psydswipe

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »
I think I'll pick it up for some of the extra features, but honestly I agree it's starting to get old because not to be mean or anything, I like Doom 3 enough, but Doom 3 isnt good enough to warrant a re-release. I mean at least the Silent Hill HD remake is somewhat worth it, with arguably the two best in the series....

The Silent Hill HD Collection is largely considered weak as they messed with the games. I've never played them though so I couldn't say how bad the changes are.

I'm not a big Doom fan, though I do own the original on 32X and the third on PC. I don't think I ever played the second. I also don't often go back to older games to replay as I usually have enough newer games I want to play so most HD collections don't interest me unless they have games I never had the chance to try and still want to.

killerchameleon

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2012, 12:17:11 pm »
I agree so many new games to play it’s hard for me to go back and play a game that I’ve already beaten even if the graphics were enhanced some.  Unless I’ve never played or beaten it I rarely pick up re-releases, they would have to add a lot of extra content for me to justify buying it again.

ffxik

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2012, 11:56:47 pm »

Did you not play through the entirety of Doom 3? You went through it for a few levels and then back there again at the end to fight the Cyberdemon. I haven't played through all of Resurrection of Evil yet, but I assume you go there at some stage.

How much time was spent there in Doom when you take all episodes into consideration?  A handful of levels just don't cut it.  Yes I have played through it.  Makes me sad that the two games packaged on the expansion are still by far better.  I'll probably grab it, sometime later.  Just to see what was added.