Author Topic: Old stock photos DO exist!  (Read 906 times)

tripredacus

Old stock photos DO exist!
« on: January 22, 2016, 11:22:57 am »
Going through the Game Gear section, we can now see that stock photos, or weird/incorrect hybrid photos for boxed games apparently DO exist. Of the games already in the database with photos of game releases that apparently do not exist (only time will tell) have included such games like Battletoads, Jurassic Park, Lost World and a couple others.

Here is an example. Pac-Attack on game gear:
http://vgcollect.com/item/8840

EDIT submitted, so if you see this thread later, here is the original pic that was in the db.

A cursory glance, one thing sticks out here. The namco logo is black. Here is what an actual scan of Pac-Attack looks like:

Logo is a different color, and the VRC Rating box is a different color. 4 lines of text instead of 3. There's a reason for this. The original image in the vgcollect database is a Genesis box with the system logo replaced!

So if you are doing any db work, looking at dupes, etc. Keep this in mind that weird stock photos do exist online. It would be nice to know the source of these images.

Re: Old stock photos DO exist!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2016, 11:37:51 am »
Good to know   ;)

aliensstudios

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2016, 11:45:54 am »
Wow, this kind of thing never even crossed my mind. I've been doing a lot of edits/submissions for stuff in my collection but am trying to reference the real thing as I do so. Good to know, I'll keep a look out for stuff like this.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2016, 01:42:27 pm »
Yeah I ran into that recently when I was adding something to my collection.

Heroes of Mana has this image show up a lot (most likely thanks to Amazon):

However, when I was adding it to my collection, with my game next to me, I noticed that there's actually a white line going around the ESRB rating:

Also, good catch on that Pac-Man! That's so funny that someone made that hybrid image, but it happens, I suppose. Sometimes good lighting isn't available for a decent photo, and people might piece things together, hoping that no one will notice the difference...  ::)

Pretty easy to miss, especially with the cover art being on the smaller side!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 01:44:26 pm by desocietas »
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2016, 02:01:15 pm »
Dont know if the US has the same, but here i saw that Super Smash Bros for the 3ds changed the Nintendo Network sign, on the top right, to the Amiibo sign.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2016, 02:02:53 pm by fazerco »

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2016, 02:08:05 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if all later printings of SSB have the amiibo symbol.