Author Topic: What are the most expensive NA Game Gear games?  (Read 12156 times)

jcalder8

What are the most expensive NA Game Gear games?
« on: April 23, 2013, 04:01:26 pm »
My wife loves the Game Gear so I am thinking about trying to get all the games for the system, just loose I don't need boxes and such. I'm just wondering what the most expensive game is for the system that I'll need to keep an eye out for.
Thanks

sin2beta

Re: What are the most expensive NA Game Gear games?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2013, 04:04:24 pm »
My wife loves the Game Gear so I am thinking about trying to get all the games for the system, just loose I don't need boxes and such. I'm just wondering what the most expensive game is for the system that I'll need to keep an eye out for.
Thanks

Mega Man. It's not rare, but it is sought after by Game Gear collectors and Mega Man collectors. It's the only game I fear will give me grief while going for the complete set.

Everything else is pretty cheap. I haven't paid much for any including Shining Force and Crystal Warriors. There are not many Game Gear fan or collectors.

EDIT: I will add a bit more information since I see you are entertaining a complete set idea.

Expensive games (don't pay over $15 for any except Mega Man, as far as a good price for Mega Man... I'm still sorting that out):
Mega Man
Earthworm Jim
Crystal Warriors
Tails Adventure
Shining Force

Rare games (but not expensive):
Urban Strike - (So rare I began questioning if it was actually released or not pops up on ebay every couple of months. Sells for 10-15)
Rise of the Robots
Fantastic Dizzy
Kawasaki Superbike

Fantastic Games:
Halley Wars (personal favorite)
Tails Adventure (Gargoyles Quest basically)
Streets of Rage 2 (SOR 1 is bad)
Shining Force
Crystal Warriors (similar to Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, etc)
Tempo Jr.
Ninja Gaiden
Shinobi
Fantasy Zone
Revenge of Drancon
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 04:16:35 pm by sin2beta »
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

jcalder8

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2013, 04:20:57 pm »
Thanks. I didn't think there were many high end games. I'm in no rush so I was just getting a feel for it.

sin2beta

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2013, 04:39:15 pm »
NP. Also, definitely don't be in a rush for Mega Man. It is horrible. It's a crappy port of several of the earlier Mega Man games mashed together. To play on the small screen, they zoom in on Mega Man. Mega Man games demand to show you the full screen. The original games always do that pause as you move to a new screen so you can see of the enemies and obstacles behave. This port misses that and it makes the levels horrendous. Several poor porting choices were made by the ironically named UK publisher "U.S. Gold". They are the LJN of the Game Gear.

htimreimer

Re: What are the most expensive NA Game Gear games? versions
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2013, 06:51:43 pm »
NP. Also, definitely don't be in a rush for Mega Man. It is horrible. It's a crappy port of several of the earlier Mega Man games mashed together. To play on the small screen, they zoom in on Mega Man. Mega Man games demand to show you the full screen. The original games always do that pause as you move to a new screen so you can see of the enemies and obstacles behave. This port misses that and it makes the levels horrendous. Several poor porting choices were made by the ironically named UK publisher "U.S. Gold". They are the LJN of the Game Gear.
so the gamegear version has the similar problems to the dos versions
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 07:07:48 pm by htimreimer »

sin2beta

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2013, 07:05:34 pm »
so the gamegear version has the similar problems to the dos versions,

LOL. I had never seen the DOS version. But yeah. Although the DOS versions look like a LOT more are wrong than the zoom in.

I found this video. It actually compares the GB and the GG Mega Man game. It gives a good analysis. The important part comes at 9:26.

htimreimer

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2013, 07:25:31 pm »
so the gamegear version has the similar problems to the dos versions,

LOL. I had never seen the DOS version. But yeah. Although the DOS versions look like a LOT more are wrong than the zoom in.
out of morbid curiosity i do recommend people playing it at least once, the dos versions makes the gamegear and the gameboy versions look like the original three mega man's , its that bad and it even herder that originals because its so badly ported, its abandonware and for good reason

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2016, 12:32:41 pm »
I just missed this Mega Man yesterday on Ebay. Someone picked that up as soon as it dropped. They got a good price on the loose cartridge. I've been holding out for a complete copy (if I am really crazy I'll grab a sealed one if I can save up enough), but that was a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-MAN-I-Sega-Game-Gear-System-US-Gold-Cartridge-Only-/252260647729?hash=item3abbe80331:g:MYkAAOSwCypWoP1Y

sin2beta - did you ever end up picking a copy up since a few years ago (even though it is a poor port)?
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

Warmsignal

« Reply #8 on: January 22, 2016, 01:01:57 pm »
I've got Mega Man on the Game Gear and I like it. Yeah, it's zoomed in, but there's less lagging. It almost feels like playing Mega Man in fast motion after being used to the NES games.

sin2beta

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2016, 09:39:30 pm »
I just missed this Mega Man yesterday on Ebay. Someone picked that up as soon as it dropped. They got a good price on the loose cartridge. I've been holding out for a complete copy (if I am really crazy I'll grab a sealed one if I can save up enough), but that was a steal.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/MEGA-MAN-I-Sega-Game-Gear-System-US-Gold-Cartridge-Only-/252260647729?hash=item3abbe80331:g:MYkAAOSwCypWoP1Y

sin2beta - did you ever end up picking a copy up since a few years ago (even though it is a poor port)?

That wasn't a bad price.

Nope, I have not picked it up. It will be the last game I buy out of stubbornness I think. Even $35 is kinda high for what I (personally) think of the quality of the game. I believe, it will be a game I buy as the last one to just complete the full set.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: January 22, 2016, 11:12:54 pm »

That wasn't a bad price.

Nope, I have not picked it up. It will be the last game I buy out of stubbornness I think. Even $35 is kinda high for what I (personally) think of the quality of the game. I believe, it will be a game I buy as the last one to just complete the full set.

I remember watching the video you linked a few years ago. I had always thought the Game Gear version would be superior, but they really messed it up. Since I normally collect sealed, mint, or at least 100% complete it will be a long time before I pick up Mega Man for Game Gear. That game is outrageous in any of those conditions.
The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01