Author Topic: Toonami (1997-2008)  (Read 1262 times)

Toonami (1997-2008)
« on: September 04, 2016, 10:33:38 am »
I was wondering what other people's memories/experiences were with Toonami. Of course I am referring to the original run of Toonami that lasted from 1997 to 2008, not the current version of it which airs on Satuday nights.

I discovered Toonami in 1997 right after my parents divorced. My dad was living with one of his friends that lived barely a quarter mile from my mom, and he has premium cable. I remember specifically watching The Real Adventures of Johnny Quest and Thundercats mostly. DBZ was on their too, but it wouldn't be for another year or so before the anime bug really hit me and I would literally become obsessed with it.

By around 2000, I was completely obsessed with Toonami and most of the shows they broadcast. At this point my dad was living in his own house and I would often go their after school every day and watch Tonnami from I believe 6pm to 8pm. I would do this for probably the next couple of years before I began to loose interest in the shows they had on and it no longer appealed to me like it did.

I remember around 2007 or 2008 trying to watch it again, however the lineup and format of the program block was so dramatically different that it just didn't do it for me anymore. Sadly, around that time the original run of Toonami went defunct and that was that.

But here are my top 5 Toonami shows:

1. Dragon Ball Z
2. Outlaw Star
3. Gundam Wing
4. Gundam 8th MS Team
5. Tenchi Muyo

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Toonami (1997-2008)
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2016, 10:47:59 am »
I loved Toonami. Best block of cartoons on the channel, IMO.

A few cartoons Toonami got me into:

-Dragonball Z
-G-Gundam
-Gundam Wing
-He-Man and The Masters of the Universe (Reboot)
-Ronin Warriors
-Voltron: Defender of the Universe
-Thundercats (Reboot)
-Yu-Yu Hakashou

kashell

« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016, 11:25:43 am »
Sailor Moon wins for my favorite show on Toonami, even though I already saw most of it when it aired a few summers prior on the USA Network. Aside from that, I loved watching Gundam Wing, Thundercats, Voltron, and Outlaw Star.

azure

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2016, 01:37:32 pm »
Toonami was my jam. I watched every broadcast I could from its original run up until it was first canceled. There wasn't a show I disliked n the block, but my favorite as a kid was either Yu Yu Hakusho/Gundam.

jupiter

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 08:52:33 pm »
Toonami was my jam. I watched every broadcast I could from its original run up until it was first canceled. There wasn't a show I disliked n the block, but my favorite as a kid was either Yu Yu Hakusho/Gundam.

This except I hated Yu Yu Hakusho.

DBZ/Outlaw Star were my favorites but also loved Gundam Wing, Sailor Moon, and Trigun (donuts!)

stealthrush

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2016, 12:45:49 am »
Watched Toonami religiously since it first aired. It was during the time when my parents decided to buy cable television, or at least Cartoon Network channel. Before than I remember watching Dragon Ball, Sailor Moon, Samurai Pizza Cats, on television being very intrigued with the style and story-telling. Later on discovered Bubblegum Crisis and Armitage at my friends house on the Sci-Fi channel.

Early Toonami broadcasting shows were my favorite:

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing
Tenchi Muyo/Universe/Tokyo
Dragon Ball Z
Blue Submarine No. 6
Outlaw Star
Cardcaptors
Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team
The Big O
Rurouni Kenshin
Yu Yu Hakusho

Stopped watching around 2005 onward. Switched to Adult Swim line-up- Pilot Candidate being my favorite.

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 08:47:31 am »
Most of the things being listed I only remember airing on Adult Swim back when Adult Swim was just saturday night airing of animes.

I remember watching DBZ on Toonami, that's about it.

I really wish I had gotten into Gundam in my youth.