Author Topic: First Game Ever Purchased  (Read 3478 times)

desocietas

Re: First Game Ever Purchased
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2016, 02:15:23 pm »
I love these stories! I like to imagine that these first games were the cornerstones of our collections :D

The first game that I bought when I started "collecting" was Snake Rattle and Roll.  It's not exactly a cornerstone.

Haha, I guess that can be another thread in itself... Our first games purchased were not necessarily our first games when we started "collecting."
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2016, 02:23:30 pm »
I love these stories! I like to imagine that these first games were the cornerstones of our collections :D

The first game that I bought when I started "collecting" was Snake Rattle and Roll.  It's not exactly a cornerstone.

Haha, I guess that can be another thread in itself... Our first games purchased were not necessarily our first games when we started "collecting."
It's kind of sad, I can't even recall when I started going to thrift stores and pawn shops and buying games.

I remember going from ebay only, to thrift stores, to pawn shops, to yard sales, to flea markets, to facebook groups... and then regressing backwards.

Like, I've had games from my childhood, but I don't really consider that I was collecting video games until I hit that point that I decided not to get rid of games any more.  When I chose to... hoard.

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2016, 03:27:18 pm »
It's kind of sad, I can't even recall when I started going to thrift stores and pawn shops and buying games.

I remember going from ebay only, to thrift stores, to pawn shops, to yard sales, to flea markets, to facebook groups... and then regressing backwards.

Like, I've had games from my childhood, but I don't really consider that I was collecting video games until I hit that point that I decided not to get rid of games any more.  When I chose to... hoard.

ah, not that sad. I think there are a lot of collectors who didn't start off as collectors. They started off as game "consumers," renting, buying, borrowing games and then just selling them or letting go of them somehow when they were done.  Later, they realize how many games they wish they had held on to, and thus the collecting bug burrows deep.

My bf was very much that sort of gamer, but he regrets selling off most of his games when he was younger. He still has a bit of a tendency these days to buy the hot new title and then sell it back, but after he moved in and saw my collection, he's a lot more interested in holding on to certain items (and looking into collector's editions over standards  ::) ).
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2016, 03:33:18 pm »

ah, not that sad. I think there are a lot of collectors who didn't start off as collectors. They started off as game "consumers," renting, buying, borrowing games and then just selling them or letting go of them somehow when they were done.  Later, they realize how many games they wish they had held on to, and thus the collecting bug burrows deep.

My bf was very much that sort of gamer, but he regrets selling off most of his games when he was younger. He still has a bit of a tendency these days to buy the hot new title and then sell it back, but after he moved in and saw my collection, he's a lot more interested in holding on to certain items (and looking into collector's editions over standards  ::) ).
Yeah, I wanna say before I started "collecting" I had sold off most of my PS2 games down to like 10 games, pretty much only kept Wild Arms games, Timesplitters games, GTA: San Andreas, and WWE games (mostly because they are worthless).   But now PS2 is one of my top platforms for which I own the most titles, next to Genesis and Steam... but quite a bit under SNES.

gf78

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2016, 03:52:49 pm »
I bought games for years with Christmas or birthday money.  But the first game I bought with my own cash, earned from my own first job was Super Castlevania IV and ActRaiser.  Bought both with a SNES/Mario World bundle. 

But for the sake of argument, Super Castlevania IV was my go-to game that I fully intended to buy first.  ActRaiser just looked cool and thus, I picked it up as well. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

Warmsignal

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2016, 10:09:51 pm »
The first game I distinctly remember shelling out my own cash for was Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!!  Talk about a an awesome purchase.  I went to Wal-Mart and saw it sitting behind the counter.  It was being held for someone.  If they didn't come get it by (insert random time), I could buy it.  Well, no one claimed it.  After my mom had finished getting whatever she had to get we went back over to the little Nintendo cabinet and it was still there.  I still have that game and manual to this day.

Ah yes, I remember the days when games you wanted felt like a scarcity. Game holding was a big thing. We'd call a place up, ask if they had the game, and ask if they could hold one until we got there to buy it. There was no GS, there wasn't any infinite source to buy used copies of games at least, not around here, you couldn't just go online and buy something. It was like you get the game when you see it, or you might be out of luck. Who knows when more might be in stock.

indenton

« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2016, 01:24:35 pm »

Hey it's better than Sonic 3D Blast, atleast I think it is, maybe, probably, I dunno