Author Topic: Playing games chronologically  (Read 2791 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Playing games chronologically
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2016, 12:54:53 pm »
I always try to. Not only for story reasons, but also to see how the series progresses and changes.

I do the same thing with movies. It drives me crazy when Netflix has a sequel in a series, and not the original.

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: February 29, 2016, 01:37:21 pm »
I always try to. Not only for story reasons, but also to see how the series progresses and changes.

Yep, that and technology changes as well! Sometimes the improvements are good, sometimes... not so much. Also, if a game is good enough to have spawned a bunch of subsequent games, I feel like I should give the original a shot to see where everything started :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

doafan

« Reply #17 on: February 29, 2016, 03:48:18 pm »
Not really in fact I started two of my three favorites franchises in the opposite order, for example played first the Resident Evil 3 Nemesis cause I felt in love with Jill, after completed the title a couple of times decided to knew more about the history so I purchased the second part and then after completed this one decided to know more about the beginning (also more about Jill) and that's when searched for the RE1, later when the Zero was released I completed this one too, the last one was the 4th and even when I didn't played the franchise in the chronologically order didn't mess with the history, in fact I loved this way which is the opposite with the Gears of War  8)
« Last Edit: February 29, 2016, 03:51:02 pm by doafan »

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

rayne315

« Reply #18 on: February 29, 2016, 04:38:58 pm »
here is how I decide how to play them. This assumes I have every game in the series.

If they span MORE than 2 console generations then I play them in order of release dates so that It doesn't ruin my enjoyment of the series if the first released is lacking a lot of features of more current games in the series.

If they do not span more than 2 console generations IE started on ps3, 360, wii, till current gen or it started on NES and ended on SNES then I play them chronologically.

of course its easier in theory than in practice because I will get a few from the series and just play through it all anyway. like not having .hack infecton but having beat mutation, outbreak and quarintine
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #19 on: February 29, 2016, 06:21:42 pm »
of course its easier in theory than in practice because I will get a few from the series and just play through it all anyway. like not having .hack infecton but having beat mutation, outbreak and quarintine

That's so interesting! Isn't infection the first and easiest one to acquire? On a barely related note, I popped that game in again about a year ago after having fond memories of playing it ages earlier and was shocked by how awkward the English dub was. Was pleasantly surprised that Japanese VO was available <3
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2016, 09:36:58 am »

That's so interesting! Isn't infection the first and easiest one to acquire? On a barely related note, I popped that game in again about a year ago after having fond memories of playing it ages earlier and was shocked by how awkward the English dub was. Was pleasantly surprised that Japanese VO was available <3

Yeah it should have been the easiest for me to find. I think my area just didn't bother buying it considering I have bought/seen in stores 2 mutations, 4 outbreaks and 1 quarantine. but have not seen an infection other that the one my cousin has.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully