Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond: Set Phasers to Suck  (Read 2395 times)

gf78

Star Trek Beyond: Set Phasers to Suck
« on: December 21, 2015, 03:37:34 pm »
Everyone has their own opinions on the new Trek movies.  While I enjoyed the first one, I found the second to be ham-fisted and a lazy sequel that rehashed the Wrath of Khan. 

Having watched the trailer for the new movie Star Trek Beyond by the Fast & Furious director Justin Lin, there is no hope for the franchise any longer.

It was an action-packed load of bullshit with stupid Fast & Furious style stunts including Kirk jumping a dirt bike.  Oh, and apparently the Enterprise gets blown up again.  News flash fellas:  It worked and was poignant in Search for Spock, but quickly wore that trope thin when they blew the Enterprise up in six other films!  We even get blasted by Beastie Boys music.  It was cute in First Contact to hear Magic Carpet Ride when they blasted off.  It was kinda ok in the first Trek reboot when Kirk stole the Corvette, just because it kinda grounded the series to a bit of reality.  Now, it just comes off cheesy as hell.  Like the first Fast & Stupidious film where the trailer blasted "My Way or the Highway" by Limp Bizkit.  I'm sure we will see shuttlecraft with neon lights revving their impulse drives and racing the way this schlock is going. 

I'm not a fan of Fast & Furious.  In fact, I think they are complete, utter, sucktastic bullshit.  They completely defy the laws of physics and have plots and scripts That make Debbie Does Dallas seem like Oscar material.  The series is a shitstain on the history of cinema.  And now, they have let the moronic piece of fecal matter who made those travesties destroy any hope that the next Trek may be worth even a rental.  I've heard people say "It's just a trailer, that's not the whole movie!"  But in the really-real world, trailers are made to entice you to see the film.  They encompass the best bits the movie has to offer.  If this is the best Beyond has to offer, I want no part of it. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Star Trek Beyond: Set Phasers to Suck
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2015, 03:51:11 pm »
Looks stupid as hell to me, and I'm a longtime Star Trek fan.

The last couple movies weren't that great, either. At least not as Star Trek films. They didn't have that sense of exploration or discovery that Star Trek is supposed to have. But at least they were good action-flicks.

This looks like it's just trying to hard to be a comedy. To be the next Guardians of the Galaxy. Which means it probably won't even work well as an action-flick this time around.

pacpix

« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2015, 08:07:43 pm »
I was extremely dissapointed with the trailer, but Simon Pegg's reaction gives me hope that the movie itself will be much different than the trailer implies.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2015, 11:48:20 pm »
Thanks for posting Simon Pegg's comments.

I had already written off watching it in the theatre.

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

hexen

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2015, 03:05:34 am »
I never really liked the idea of the remakes... but I never cared for the Original Series anyway. It's TNG & Picard or nothing!
Take a spin, now you're in with the techno set! You're going surfing on the internet!

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2015, 04:44:52 am »
I'm sure it'll be fine.  I like the first one, second was okay, but was an unnecessary remake of sorts, and hopefully Simon Pegg is right and this isn't all Fast and Furious in Space.  We were never going to get the kind of Star Trek people want out of the movies to begin with, so hopefully with the upcoming tv show, they can get things sorted out right.

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2015, 06:38:24 pm »
I never really liked the idea of the remakes... but I never cared for the Original Series anyway. It's TNG & Picard or nothing!

I'm a next gen fan myself.

It's not that I'm not a fan of the original series so much as TOS was my Dad's Star Trek. Next Gen was my Star Trek. :)

soera

« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2015, 12:35:08 am »
It's TNG & Picard or nothing!

Fo sho!!!