Author Topic: Elgato Game Capture HD Question  (Read 1568 times)

retroone

Elgato Game Capture HD Question
« on: January 08, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
My PC is on the other side of my room than all of my systems. About 8 feet maybe. Should I get a USB extension to make the Elgato to reach all the way to my PC or should I just get longer HDMI/AV cords instead? Would using USB extension cords deteriorate from the quality of the footage or would anything lag?

aliensstudios

Re: Elgato Game Capture HD Question
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2016, 07:50:29 pm »
My desk is about 6 or 7 feet away from my capture device. I use a 6 foot USB mini cable and 10 foot HDMI cables and it works perfectly. As for the length of the USB cable, it doesn't really matter in terms of the data transfer rate, it will always be the same. However, be aware that the Elgato Game Capture is powered by the USB port on your computer (unless you have a Y cable) and therefore having a longer USB means that the device may not be supplied with enough power. I'd recommend getting longer HDMI cables personally.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

desocietas

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
^ yes, I'd worry about the power to the device itself. I haven't tried extensions personally, but I think a longer HDMI and USB cable should be fine.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

retroone

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2016, 11:47:51 pm »
Alright sweet! I'll just focus on getting longer HDMI cords. Thanks guys!

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2016, 09:24:41 am »
Extension cables (male usb to female usb) do have a deterioration in quality, it might not be noticeable, but you have to be careful that you are using the right extension cables.  If you are using USB 1.0 or 2.0 extension cables you'll obviously lose quality if you are using USB 3.0.

aliensstudios

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2016, 12:20:23 pm »
Extension cables (male usb to female usb) do have a deterioration in quality, it might not be noticeable, but you have to be careful that you are using the right extension cables.  If you are using USB 1.0 or 2.0 extension cables you'll obviously lose quality if you are using USB 3.0.
USB extension cables don't even really work with the Elgato Game Capture; trust me I've tried. The best option is longer HDMI cables. Yes, a small loss in quality is to be expected at any cables over 10 feet but overall it's a better option than using linked USB cables or long USB cables because of the loss of power.

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »
USB extension cables don't even really work with the Elgato Game Capture; trust me I've tried. The best option is longer HDMI cables. Yes, a small loss in quality is to be expected at any cables over 10 feet but overall it's a better option than using linked USB cables or long USB cables because of the loss of power.
I have no experience with Elgato, I was just making a general statement about usb extension cables.

aliensstudios

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2016, 01:18:29 pm »
Ah. All right then.