Author Topic: Favorite hidden gems from last gen (PS3/360/Wii)  (Read 10340 times)

Re: Favorite hidden gems from last gen (PS3/360/Wii)
« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2016, 01:58:50 am »
Ok, a little big list, but here we go.

I classify all these as Hidden Gems mostly because I see no one talking about these. No media coverage, no friend chat, etc.

PS3

3D Dot Game hero

Zelda meets Minecraft, on a good way. Basicaly it’s a classic action RPG that pays  homage to such games and have a nice voxel art graphic with phenomenal light and camera effects, as well as an interesting crafting system and character creation tool.

Asura's Wrath

Extreme badass quick time event plus hack n’ slash game. The downside is that the last chapter is a DLC. Speaking of, you can fight Street Fighter Ryu and Akuma on two of these extra contents.

Catherine

Sude 51, which means craziness at its best. Half the time you are on real life trying to survive a conturbed relationship, and on the other half you’re on a hellish puzzle nightmare.

Dead Nation

2D Co-op Top-Down Twin Stick Shooter with lots of zombies. Pretty hard and fun.

Enslaved

Journey to the West all over again, but on a Sci-Fi scenario. Solid Hack N’ Slash with great story and a well-made companion mechanic.

Ibb & Obb

A simple 2D Co-op platform that will increase the bonds with your friends or will break then.

Outland

Metroidvania with the Ikaruga color mechanic.

Pac-Man Championship Edition DX

It’s Pac-man on steroids!

Puppetear

I love this game. It’s a 2D platform were you control a headless puppet on a theater kind world. The main mechanics are your head, which you can swift with other enemies, if I remember correct, and your scissor. Mostly of the BK and enemies can be cut like silk.

Also the story is really nice, giving a Studio Ghibli vibe, and was fantastic dub. Se você for de um país que fale português sugiro jogar dublado em PT-BR.

Tokyo Jungle

Strange Japanese survivor with animals. Really hard to describe, but… it’s a semi-random generated world were you need to spend your days as a pub, or a t-rex, trying to get food, breed and fight other creatures.

Valkyria Chronicles

One of the best tactical games I have played. Really nice cell shading, no tile movement limitation and so much more. This was so complete that I can’t possible say every feature. Just play already.

Vanquish

For me the best shooter on PS3. It’s really fast passed and the weapons have a immense variety. Super fun.

Wii

A Boy and His Blob

Remake of the NES title A Boy and His Blob: Trouble on Blobolonia. Solid platform combined with cleaver puzzle mechanics. Remember a little Heart of Darkness, although more light hearted a forgivable.

Boom Blox / Boom Blox Bash Party

Puzzle party games “directed” by Steven Spielberg. Some modes are poor made, such as the castle battle, others you could play through other means, such as Jenga, but in the end the package justifies the price as there tons of variety. For me the best was the rail shooter like one.

Cars 2

Disney game? Yep! I found through the years that games based in Disney movies somehow are very good, and this one is no exception. Arcade racing as it’s best with power-ups and a battle mod that will put Mario Kart on it’s knees.

Ivy the Kiwi?

Cellphone games selling on physical media? That’s something you don’t see every day. This cute IOS game come to Wii, and I think NDS, quite unnoticeable and even I was skeptical after seen the cover, but in the end it was a very good time waster with gameplay similar, but not quite identical, to Kirby’s Canvas Course. How would know?

Lost in Shadow

My second choice on this console right after Mario Galaxy, believe or not. I was on the vibe of Limbo so a game were you control a shadow was very appellative to me. This is a light hack n’ slash 2D puzzle platform with really intriguing mechanics and an history like Ico.

Muramasa: The Demon Blade

The best game on the console, side by side with Punch Out and Super Mario Galaxy 2, and the best metroidvania hack n’ slash. The art is also something unique.

Pandora's Tower

Oh boy, how I was wrong about this one. At first I was like “time limit and no save unless on the main hub? I won’t play this shit”. That was my after tutorial impression. Then I played a bit more… last week. Lol And this is actually a pretty fun Hack n’ Slash with RPG mechanics.

Phantom Brave: We Meet Again

First, play on your PSP. If you don’t have one than go for the Wii. Not that the game is bad, just that this is a port with the PSP resolution! Putting that aside, another solid Atlus tactical RPG that plays much like Disgaea.

The only ones I didn’t mention were indie games, as normally these are mostly unknown to public and I have almost 500 of these titles.

desocietas

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2016, 02:06:23 am »
Very nice picks! Boom Blox was super popular when it came out and then just faded. Glad to see it rise from the ashes again :) Also, I got Boy and His Blob in a bundle recently and am looking forward to trying it out for the first time.

Welcome to the site!
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2016, 02:32:03 am »
Thanks for the wealcome. ^^ I hope you enjoy the game.