Author Topic: High school retro game class  (Read 1101 times)

High school retro game class
« on: April 08, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
I'm running a small Video Game Appreciation class at my school. We go through the ages, working our way up to modern games. I play whatever interesting documentaries I can find (mostly G4's Icons) and bring in any historically significant games I might have.
Since I don't have many Wood age games I used Atari Vault on steam to demonstrate early arcade games.
Now that we're getting into 8bit games what games should we look into? Any suggestions?

kashell

Re: High school retro game class
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 12:54:37 pm »
This sounds like an awesome class. I'll throw the original Final Fantasy as one of the suggestions. It's neat to see how the games went from building a party of four, pixelated party members to these cinematic blockbusters.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 01:25:19 pm »
Super Mario Bros.  It is 8-Bit video gaming

soera

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:48 pm »
Phantasy star is a great 8 bit RPG. Of course Mario 3 has to be in there. Tetris. Bionic Commando. Zelda. Metroid. Punch out. Sonic. Alex Kidd. Golden Axe. Ninja Gaiden. Tecmo football. Mega man

Couple of lesser entries - Rambo, Adventure island, Lolo, Capcom Disney titles, TMNT, RC pro am, Castle of Illusion, Astro warrior, Space harrier.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:27:56 pm »
Man this is awesome! respect.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 01:33:09 pm »
That is awesome! I wish we had a class this cool when I went to high school.

pacpix

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 04:49:43 pm »
That sounds like an awesome class!  I'd recommend, like Kashell said, to include an RPG.  I think it would be interesting for the class to see some of the early groundbreaking RPGs like Wizardry, Dragon Warrior, etc.  The main problem you run into is there is no way to cover all of the important aspects of the 8-bit era.  Hell you could probably do a class on a single genre of a single console generation if you went in depth enough.
Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

azure

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 09:37:55 pm »
Can't go wrong with the first Dragon Quest.

aliensstudios

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 08:51:30 pm »
Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Alex Kidd in Miracle World, Castlevania, A light gun game, A Boy and his Blob, Metroid, Crystalis and Tetris. Maybe some notorious sports games from the time or some early 8-bit rpgs too.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 09:07:30 pm »
Ninja Gaiden if I'm not mistaking isn't it one of the first to feature cutscenes telling a story? at least nonRPG