Author Topic: Why are nintendo selects so much cheaper than the original releases?  (Read 3504 times)

Now, I want to say I know the nintendo selects are a re-release  of the original so I guess they won't be as valuable but any other reasons? Example pikmin 3 for the wii u and super mario world 3d, and dk tropical freeze and nes remix these are all nintendo selects. For me I'd probably want the original release. Especially if I can get the original release for the same price as the nintendo selects.

Re: Why are nintendo selects so much cheaper than the original releases?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2016, 09:15:29 pm »
Basically its just a branded form of a price drop. It was kind of the same thing with Player's Choice titles on older platforms.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2016, 10:34:13 pm »
It's supposed to be the Nintendo version of Greatest Hits/ Platinum Hits etc. of systems, although for the Wii/ Wii U/3DS is limited to selected titles. So now, there was a price drop on the eshop to match the physical price of the nintendo selects.

If you are worried about the value, some of the regular versions of the Wii U/3DS games such as Ocarina of Time, Pikmin 3, Tropical Freeze (pre-owned for all), dropped to about $19 at Gamestop so you could try your luck there. NES Remix(reg version) is also about $19 on Amazon as well.

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2016, 05:04:40 am »
Just wish they'd print more original copies at a cheaper price.

I hate things like that, they taint a collection. I have none in mine.

Warmsignal

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2016, 11:00:46 am »
Uglier print out is worth less money and they know it. lolz

HarvestDude

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2016, 11:45:48 pm »
I don't mind about having those selects on my collection. I'm not really a collector, since i usually don't mind about first prints. Just in a very few exceptions.

Million Seller editions, Nintendo Select editions, Greatest Hits edition... if it weren't for them, i would never have played some games, specially those that get scarce fast. I remember getting a GH version of Ps1's Final Fantasy Tactics. It had a good price and the black labeled one was already hard and expensive to find. Never regretted getting it.

Nothing against people who doesn't like them, though. But a good game being cheaper helps a lot. Specially here in Brazil, land of piracy and absurd game prices.

HarvestDude™

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2016, 09:38:39 am »
I don't mind about having those selects on my collection. I'm not really a collector, since i usually don't mind about first prints. Just in a very few exceptions.

Million Seller editions, Nintendo Select editions, Greatest Hits edition... if it weren't for them, i would never have played some games, specially those that get scarce fast. I remember getting a GH version of Ps1's Final Fantasy Tactics. It had a good price and the black labeled one was already hard and expensive to find. Never regretted getting it.

Nothing against people who doesn't like them, though. But a good game being cheaper helps a lot. Specially here in Brazil, land of piracy and absurd game prices.

HarvestDude™

Well said. 

For collection's sake, I want black label; but I completely agree with what you said.

Warmsignal

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2016, 08:56:50 pm »

HarvestDude™

They've never helped me all that much, I just don't buy games when they're new very often, unless it was a clearance item. I can always wait.  But they are ugly as hell, and I think they're designed to be ugly as hell. It's subliminally telling you to buy day one next time and don't miss out on something that was a hit. I really don't mind having Greatest Hits in the collection, I would never consider deliberately replacing any of them like some sort of purist, and I'll still buy them. But I have the choice... obviously black label.

maximo310

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2016, 11:37:12 pm »
If anyone has seen the Japanese Wii Bargain Games (for different companies) , those look even worse, the main game cover art is shrunk to a small square while red is plastered all over the cover. The Konami Greatest Hits thing for a few DS titles also is just as bad. I mean, I usually get selects if I don't have a cheaper choice, but I prefer the original label.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/arc-rise-fantasia-bargain-edition-japan-version/1022071864-0-0-0-en/info.html

rayne315

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2016, 10:05:17 am »
If anyone has seen the Japanese Wii Bargain Games (for different companies) , those look even worse, the main game cover art is shrunk to a small square while red is plastered all over the cover. The Konami Greatest Hits thing for a few DS titles also is just as bad. I mean, I usually get selects if I don't have a cheaper choice, but I prefer the original label.

http://www.yesasia.com/us/arc-rise-fantasia-bargain-edition-japan-version/1022071864-0-0-0-en/info.html

OH GOD That is fugly.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully