Author Topic: DSi XL not responding to anything  (Read 1878 times)

realpoketendonl

DSi XL not responding to anything
« on: April 02, 2016, 08:20:44 pm »
My grandma has a DSi XL, the first version of it (the Wine Red one). She enjoys occasionaly playing Brain Training or Germ Buster on it, or at least, she enjoyed that.

A few days ago her DSi XL almost completely stopped responding to any interaction. It hadn't been used for quite a while at that point. It'd turn on just fine, and we'd see the main menu without any issue. Music played, photos appeared on the top screen, nothing out of the ordinary. However, we soon realised that the D-pad wasn't working. We couldn't move around the menu or select a different game or app. We tried the touch screen, but that didn't respond to anything either. Swiping, tapping, nothing worked. We turned it off, put in a game, and turned it back on, and we did see the icon of the game. However, the A button didn't work either! Both the A-button and the Touch Screen do work on the Safety Precautions screen, but after that they stop working. Eventually we found out the L and R buttons do work, but again only once. You can open the camera with the L and R buttons, and cancel out of it with the B button, but after that those buttons stop responding too.

The battery probably isn't the issue. It said it was fully charged and even if it wasn't then it wouldn't have booted up on the brightest screen settings without issue. It also can't be the game that's inserted into the system, because we were having these same issues without a game inserted into it.

So here are the problems we're having listed out:
- D-Pad doesn't work at all
- A-button and Touch Screen don't work past the Safety Precautions screen
- The L and R buttons (and presumably also the B-button) stop working after using them once.
- The main menu shows up fine without any issue, and it seems to be running flawlessly.

We've never used any illegal devices (like the R4 or mod chips) with it. It's a completely clean system in pretty good shape (since she doesn't play on it that often). During my life and my three DS systems (the DS Lite, the DSi and the 3DS) I have never seen something like this, so I'm completely clueless as to what could be the issue. I'll do some research online, and we'll probably also contact Nintendo soon, but maybe one of you has had these issues before? Does anyone have any idea on how to fix this?
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

Re: DSi XL not responding to anything
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2016, 09:37:00 pm »
If you can, try reformatting it. it may be software issue...if it isn't.. you're probably going to have to ship it to Nintendo for repairs. :l

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2016, 05:05:53 am »
I found a similair problem with google, with a solution.

https://gbatemp.net/threads/dsi-xl-buttons-and-touch-screen-not-working.300446/

realpoketendonl

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2016, 06:09:52 am »
Yeah, turns out the screen protection stickers were just applied badly, just like you said. She bought protection stickers for smartphones, cut them into shape, and put them on. That didn't work out...
Maybe I should look at the obvious things next time before jumping on here. Thanks for the help though!
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.