Author Topic: Best way to buffer out PS3 scratches?  (Read 4065 times)

sworddude

Re: Best way to buffer out PS3 scratches?
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2016, 02:58:19 pm »
lets see. the gaming stores around me that resurface discs based on scratches....

Disc Replay (Mega Replay)
Video games ECT.
Tod's disc shop.
Family video (like blockbuster but they also sell older ware)
Uptown pawn (the only pawnshop in the area that seems to care about their wares)
Gamestop (im actually unsure about this one, I know some gamestops do but not all do it)

I can safely say that everyone on this site has at one point in their life purchased a new Disc based game. sure their are like $10 disc resurfacers you can buy that do more harm that good (scratch doctor), disc resurfacers where you have to physically hold the disc that have the potential to do harm (based on how you hold the disc), but for the most part it is impossible to tell the difference from a good commercial disc resurfaced game and a brand new game.

Don't you think I've ever proffesionally resurfaced a disc?

It was a big ***** machine pretty much the same size as a proffesional office printer I'm pretty sure it ain't cheap. Multiple different stores I've done this.

The difference is clearly there, I will never resurface a disc ever again unless it isn't functional.

To top it off For older games the console might have a harder time reading it and you will hear loud or semi loud noises all the time. Seriously even without looking at a disc one can tell if it has been resurfaced for older consoles.

Your Stylish Sword Master!

gf78

« Reply #31 on: May 02, 2016, 03:31:02 pm »
Don't you think I've ever proffesionally resurfaced a disc?

It was a big ***** machine pretty much the same size as a proffesional office printer I'm pretty sure it ain't cheap. Multiple different stores I've done this.

The difference is clearly there, I will never resurface a disc ever again unless it isn't functional.

To top it off For older games the console might have a harder time reading it and you will hear loud or semi loud noises all the time. Seriously even without looking at a disc one can tell if it has been resurfaced for older consoles.

Look, I don't know what kind of machine it was or it's size or anything about it that you are referring to.  All I can tell you is that V-stock has a machine that you put in a scratched disc and after several minutes when they take it out, you can't find any sign of buffing.  It looks brand new, no matter how bright the light you shine on it or how you turn it in the light.  I've seen this done with the black and blue PS1 and PS2 discs as well and they look flawless afterward.  No swirly marks.  No residue around the center ring.  No scratches.  No dullness.  It looks brand.  Frickin.  New. 

I've also seen other stores with cheaper machines polish a disc and it have the "swish" swirls.

Maybe accept the fact that you don't know everything and take it from other collector's that have used and or received discs professionally "cleaned" with these machines that there is no way in hell you can tell with the naked eye that the disc has been resurfaced or not. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

rayne315

« Reply #32 on: May 02, 2016, 04:32:15 pm »
I understand that the data on one kind of disc/game may cause the system to behave differently (louder running), from a different one (i.e. blue ps2 to clear ps2, or shadow of the colossus compared to madden 03) but I have never heard of a noticeable difference between one system and the same game before and after buff. I may just have to empirically test this to make sure that I am not mistaken one this front.

I understand why we are all arguing about this. we have all had different experiences with this sort of thing that tell us one thing or the other that people on the other side of the argument have not had. I just have a very good question for you. do you own any discs (from the same system, preferably the exact same game) that you can upload pics of and try and point out any noticeable differences from a buffed disc to a factory one? this is just so we can all get on the same page and compare the results. this goes for both SwordDude and GF78
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: May 02, 2016, 05:17:13 pm »
I understand that the data on one kind of disc/game may cause the system to behave differently (louder running), from a different one (i.e. blue ps2 to clear ps2, or shadow of the colossus compared to madden 03) but I have never heard of a noticeable difference between one system and the same game before and after buff. I may just have to empirically test this to make sure that I am not mistaken one this front.

I understand why we are all arguing about this. we have all had different experiences with this sort of thing that tell us one thing or the other that people on the other side of the argument have not had. I just have a very good question for you. do you own any discs (from the same system, preferably the exact same game) that you can upload pics of and try and point out any noticeable differences from a buffed disc to a factory one? this is just so we can all get on the same page and compare the results. this goes for both SwordDude and GF78

Unfortunately not anymore. As you might know I'm not a big fan of resurfacing, I would rather have a scratched disc.

They were ps1, gamecube and ps2 titles wich I have sold since I hated the noise my consoles made when playing these games. I haven't had this problem before. Even games with allot of scratches didn't do this to the console. Games work perfectly fine except for the **** noises the console makes when playing them. There are differences in quality. The better quality resurfaces will make less noise but never as silent as the old days before the resurface (for retro anyways). Ofcourse I didn't talk about the visible differences wich I mentioned before.

If GF78 can show an example I'm pretty curious, not that it would chance my mind to ever resurface again if a disc is still functional.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 05:56:07 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!