Author Topic: Retron 5 Vs Retro Freak!  (Read 3156 times)

Retron 5 Vs Retro Freak!
« on: April 19, 2016, 05:36:27 pm »
So I have the rdp (retro duo portable) which I love but now I decided I want a home clone console. I just can't decided which one I want. I've heard mainly good things about the retron 5..I've just recently heard about the retro freak which is a japanese import home clone console.  I'm leaning towards the retro freak because it can play more video games from other systems. Such as the tubrograx16 and they are also working on a converter which will allow you to play sega game gear games and my sega card games as well. The converter will be released next month. I know the retron 5 is also supposed to be working on a converter that plays game gear games as well but I don't when it will be released. The only thing is the retro freak is $200 and the converter is $60 which is a bit more expensive than the retron 5...Also being that its a japanese import anything you want for the system is really hard to find that is why i'm having a hard time deciding on whether or not to get the converter...I just hope controllers and the adapter that lets you use other controllers for the system become more readily available.

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Re: Retron 5 Vs Retro Freak!
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:44:26 am »
I think you'd be better of getting a Reton 5. It's cheaper and most of the compatibility problems and bugs have been worked out for the most part via firmware updates. While it has it's fair share of problems, I just can't justify paying for a $200 clone console from Japan that hasn't established itself yet. I'm sure it'll have it's problems on release while the Retron 5 is already a few years in.

Badges

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 08:31:43 am »
Gah, I just want something that will play Game Gear games.

I think for that price though, I'd find that guy who does the mods and get him to mod a SMS to play Game gear games.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 01:50:57 pm »
The TurboGrafx-16 slot and the Game Gear thing really makes me want the Retro Freak more. But that price, yikes.

BTW, Gamester81 did a video review on this, and even though it claims it will play both U.S. and Japanese NES/Famicom games, the slot is too big for NES and won't play them, maybe via ROMs, but not with a cartridge.

kashell

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 02:14:31 pm »
Retron 5, by a million miles.