Author Topic: Videos in database?  (Read 1321 times)

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

Videos in database?
« on: April 19, 2016, 09:47:50 pm »
Just thought I'd suggest adding YouTube videos to video games in the database. One high quality video game trailer per game. I think some people might be interested in learning about a game through a trailer no longer than 2-3 minutes than reading the small details. Either that or we could upload our own videos instead of relying on Youtube videos, so they aren't ever taken down--of course, you'd need a short style guide for this but it's just something I thought of as an option.

Badges

indenton

Re: Videos in database?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2016, 01:16:38 pm »
That's not a half bad idea right there!

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2016, 02:59:12 pm »
I feel like that would add a crap ton of unnecessary data to this site. I feel this is not needed but I have a better alternative to this. maybe add a data field that can be linked to the advertising gameplay link.

reason why I feel this is unnecisary is because their are:
1. some games with a crap ton of different advertisement so which one do you pick?
2. their are many games without any advertisements what do we do with these?
3. if its just a short real world gameplay video which one of the many existing videos do we pick to use?
4. What rules will need to be added to allow moderation of all these video links.
5. whats to stop a member from creating all these videos and editing in their own links for click bait so they can make money off this site?
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2016, 03:12:37 pm »
Right, Rayne brings up a lot of my concerns as well.

A big part of why we don't currently have the usual "hype" text in our description fields and ratings on items is that we currently want the database to feel fairly clean. We want to focus on cleaning up what we currently have and improving on things like searches and other aspects of the current site before adding new features :)
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2016, 03:33:31 pm »
I thought it was an alright idea--mostly because I've seen it done in other places and it looked nice. I didn't look to deeply into it, just shooting ideas off and seeing if anyone could pick it up and change up some things to create something new. What you said makes sense, Rayne.

Badges

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2016, 01:53:15 am »
I think adding video content will just add clutter to the site. Why not instead add a couple of screenshots to each entry? That way we can keep all content local and not rely on other pages like youtube

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2016, 02:10:31 am »
I think adding video content will just add clutter to the site. Why not instead add a couple of screenshots to each entry? That way we can keep all content local and not rely on other pages like youtube
In-game screenshots as a preview is also a good idea. I didn't just say get videos from YouTube, I mentioned that we could upload videos here ourselves but meh, Rayne was right. However, I do like the screenshots idea to compliment game descriptions or box text. This is why I post suggestions - someone may add to it or look at it differently and create a better suggestion.

Badges

« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2016, 06:14:49 am »
In-game screenshots as a preview is also a good idea. I didn't just say get videos from YouTube, I mentioned that we could upload videos here ourselves but meh, Rayne was right. However, I do like the screenshots idea to compliment game descriptions or box text. This is why I post suggestions - someone may add to it or look at it differently and create a better suggestion.

Besides, I think it would be super-easy to implement, just reuse parts of the same code used for displaying Front box/Back box, Cart but put it on the right side of the entry and let us show 3 different in-game screenshots :)

rayne315

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2016, 12:26:57 pm »

I like this idea, a lot of information can be received from a screenshot of the game. could be used to portray the combat style (fighting games), difficulty of movement (platformers), play options (sports), improvements over previous games (general), graphical prowess and HUD (racing/shooters/ect), the list can go on and on
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2016, 05:59:32 pm »

I like this idea, a lot of information can be received from a screenshot of the game. could be used to portray the combat style (fighting games), difficulty of movement (platformers), play options (sports), improvements over previous games (general), graphical prowess and HUD (racing/shooters/ect), the list can go on and on
It's settled. 3 high resolution screenshots per game in the database. I'd prefer them somewhere near the description area. Maybe have them as little thumbnails but clicking on it would enlarge it.

Badges

desocietas

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2016, 07:57:59 pm »

It's settled. 3 high resolution screenshots per game in the database. I'd prefer them somewhere near the description area. Maybe have them as little thumbnails but clicking on it would enlarge it.

Hehe, well, "settled" might be the wrong choice of words ;)  All I can say as an administrator is that the suggestion will be considered :D
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

mrfoxhound

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2016, 08:10:54 pm »
 ;D

Badges