Author Topic: Save Your Change, Folks VI  (Read 4553 times)

desocietas

Re: Save Your Change, Folks VI
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2015, 01:57:29 pm »
4/20????

Haha, yeah, with the original SYCF topic, someone had another goal set for 4/20, which was about 3 months from the original OP, so we all decided that that would be our collective date and then to do 6 month intervals after that.

Ahh but im a bit of a numismatist when it comes to coins plus any gold or silver is always counted face value at banks although they are worth so much more, just as an example a silver quarter is worth ~$2.90 in silver value or franklin half dollars with a melt value of ~$5.88

I might have just a handful of silver quarters and such... are they really worth that much? Do I just take them to a gold/silver shop to exchange or do they usually want more than just a few silver quarters?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2015, 04:53:10 pm »
I might have just a handful of silver quarters and such... are they really worth that much? Do I just take them to a gold/silver shop to exchange or do they usually want more than just a few silver quarters?

Its all depends on where you go, if its in good condition and if its rare or not (do your research). but if its in good shape I.E. shows very little signs of wear take it to a coin dealer. numismatic value is higher that scrap value on non/limited circulation coins. if it worn like what you expect to find a 50+ year old coin and not a rare date/mint mark then it really doesn't matter where you take it as pawn shops and coin shops will either sell it as bulk silver or have it melted down for scrap value anyway, also prices fluctuate as they can have a buyer lined up already which they will offer more than normal although still less than melt value, and will also pay more per coin in bulk.

today id say you would probably get ~$1.75-2.00 per coin if your selling to a shop and closer to melt value if you sell on your own, but look at silver price charts back in 2011 a silver quarter back then had a melt value of almost $8.

also im not the best source because I do not buy or sell coins (so that price is a guestimate) I just get coin boxes from the bank during my b-day and Christmas and look through them to see if I can find anything worth keeping. just give your local coin shop a call and see what they will give per coin
« Last Edit: November 05, 2015, 04:59:08 pm by rayne315 »
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2015, 05:07:36 pm »

Its all depends on where you go, if its in good condition and if its rare or not (do your research). but if its in good shape I.E. shows very little signs of wear take it to a coin dealer. numismatic value is higher that scrap value on non/limited circulation coins. if it worn like what you expect to find a 50+ year old coin and not a rare date/mint mark then it really doesn't matter where you take it as pawn shops and coin shops will either sell it as bulk silver or have it melted down for scrap value anyway, also prices fluctuate as they can have a buyer lined up already which they will offer more than normal although still less than melt value, and will also pay more per coin in bulk.

today id say you would probably get ~$1.75-2.00 per coin if your selling to a shop and closer to melt value if you sell on your own, but look at silver price charts back in 2011 a silver quarter back then had a melt value of almost $8.

also im not the best source because I do not buy or sell coins (so that price is a guestimate) I just get coin boxes from the bank during my b-day and Christmas and look through them to see if I can find anything worth keeping. just give your local coin shop a call and see what they will give per coin

Sweet, thanks for the input! I have a spot near my house but have never been in, but I should just go in one day and ask  :)
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2016, 01:02:35 pm »
It's getting closer.  It's almost time to count your change.  What are we going to buy?

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #34 on: April 06, 2016, 12:28:19 pm »
I'm going to have over $100 I think. Maybe even $150. Sounds like a new console might be on the table boys!

desocietas

« Reply #35 on: April 06, 2016, 03:29:16 pm »
I'm going to have over $100 I think. Maybe even $150. Sounds like a new console might be on the table boys!

Nice! I took out all the quarters the other day for laundry, and exchanged it or bills... Not much so far, considering how long we've been putting money into that piggy bank... was just $13 in quarters :-[

Admittedly, we use plastic most of the time these days...
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #36 on: April 06, 2016, 03:35:31 pm »
I'm still sitting at about $300, but I don't really add to it, I pretty much always use credit cards.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2016, 10:20:42 am »
Going to go to the bank tomorrow and use the coin machine. Lets see where I'm at. Might look at buying one of the following.

Wonderswan
NGPC
Sega CD
(Working) Sega 32x
SNES
.hack// Quarantine

Man, I'm excited just to think of how much change I've saved.

soera

« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2016, 02:22:59 pm »
I feel bad for not doing this anymore. I usually take my change to the little cute girl at the gas station next door to buy a candy bar and have an excuse to say hi to her.

desocietas

« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:57 pm »
I feel bad for not doing this anymore. I usually take my change to the little cute girl at the gas station next door to buy a candy bar and have an excuse to say hi to her.

Haha, that's a great way to use up that change :D
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #40 on: April 15, 2016, 09:55:52 am »
I'm cashing in my change tonight to see how much I have. Then I have two options, use that money at the flea market this weekend or buy something on eBay. Decisions decisions...

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #41 on: April 15, 2016, 10:18:57 am »
I spent my money.  Maybe it'll be here next week and I'll tell you fools all about it. 
Here's a hint:  It wasn't hookers and blow... this time  8)

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #42 on: April 21, 2016, 10:58:58 pm »
The 20th came and went!  I forgot to post here.  I spent my savings on this little beauty.

It's a like new Sega Power Base Converter.  Now, I just need to try it out on my Retron5. 

Now, back to saving for October 20th!  Save Your Change Folks!