Author Topic: Pokemon go  (Read 14811 times)

Re: Pokemon go
« Reply #60 on: July 13, 2016, 12:07:28 am »
My experience with Pokemon GO so far.

I downloaded the app last Thursday, and while it was a fun time, I didn't become full on obsessed with it until the next day. All I wanted to do was go out and explore in order to find more Pokemon. I actually used my whole weekend in order to just hunt Pokemon and train. Aside from having fun and catching Pokemon, it has been great having that carrot there to go outside, walk around, and even talk to other people that I normally would not; going out to a public place, specifically an area rich in Pokestops and Gyms, I easily see at least 20 people walking around looking for Pokemon and trying to take over gyms. It has been overwhelming to say the least seeing how Pokemon has reached a level I have not seen it at since it first became popular in the late 90s/early 2000s, and it may even be bigger than that.

Now that I've said what I like about Pokemon GO, here is what I haven't been so crazy about. The demand for this game was vastly underestimated, but I guess I can't get mad since Pokemon has not been this big in nearly two decades. I have experienced an hour of not being able to login to the app, my Pokemon tracker not updating for 15+ minutes despite being somewhere far from where I originally was, the game freezing after trying to catch a Pokemon, freezing, when I try to manage my Pokemon, freezing when I try to use an item, and all sorts of other issues. Probably the biggest issue is the sever login issues. I'm assuming 90% or more of these issues are because of the overwhelmed GO servers hat cannot handle an app that has overtaken Tinder and Twitter, and for that it is hard for me to be too frustrated when these issues occur. In fact, I've tried justifying them as a natural handicap that more closely mimics the real life difficulty of finding and catching wild Pokemon. Still, if I had to choose I'd rather the game run way better because of additional servers added.

Overall, the app is awesome and it is crazy to see how popular it has become. I actually have plans this coming weekend to do a 24-hour Pokemon hunt starting Friday. I haven't done this sort of thing in years, and this app is truly something special.

gf78

« Reply #61 on: July 13, 2016, 09:28:58 am »
Luckily where I live, there isn't many "hotspots" where people would be wandering around and/or gathering.  Because I have to tell you, where I live if some stupid hapless bastard wandered onto my property or pretty much any of my neighbors property, they will end up with some buckshot in their ass.   :o
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #62 on: July 13, 2016, 09:37:18 am »
Luckily where I live, there isn't many "hotspots" where people would be wandering around and/or gathering.  Because I have to tell you, where I live if some stupid hapless bastard wandered onto my property or pretty much any of my neighbors property, they will end up with some buckshot in their ass.   :o

It's crazy that folks have lost good sense.  Don't wander into someone's backyard.  Don't step off into traffic.  They even had to tell folks to not play the game inside the Holocaust Museum.  It's a game.  It's not your whole life. 

rayne315

« Reply #63 on: July 13, 2016, 10:04:46 am »

It's crazy that folks have lost good sense.  Don't wander into someone's backyard.  Don't step off into traffic.  They even had to tell folks to not play the game inside the Holocaust Museum.  It's a game.  It's not your whole life. 

but how am I going to be the very best? like no one ever was? if I don't take risks for those elusive pokemon that only spawn in your lawn gf?

lol jk I find it ridiculous how people are focusing on the app so much. I cant wait for the bracelet accessory to come out and hopefully prevent a lot of these stupid people from getting hurt.
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

gf78

« Reply #64 on: July 13, 2016, 10:06:23 am »

It's completely ridiculous.  Not the game, it's just a game.  The morons of our society that have lost all sense.  I go outside all the time and wander around.  But I'm not staring through the camera of my phone.  I'm enjoying nature. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

kashell

« Reply #65 on: July 13, 2016, 10:28:40 am »

but how am I going to be the very best? like no one ever was?

To catch them without getting run over is your real test, to train them is your cause!

You will travel 'cross the highways, searching far and wide...

rayne315

« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2016, 10:29:52 am »
im actually surprised just how streamlined this app is data wise. in the last 2 days (~47 hours) and being on LTE probably 20-24+ of those hours (9 for work each day and ~2 hours outside each day) it has only used up only .131gb of data. if this trend continues exactly that means the app will use 2gb in a 30-day period when on 10-12 hours a day. I have apps that are less intensive that require more data in the same period of time, one that if left on my desk will eat half a gig a day.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

tripredacus

« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2016, 07:05:14 pm »
I find it interesting on where it is putting the stops. I would imagine that it took landmark info from some other mapping source. For example, if you use Google Maps, you can see locations that people have tagged.

« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2016, 08:03:08 pm »
I find it interesting on where it is putting the stops. I would imagine that it took landmark info from some other mapping source. For example, if you use Google Maps, you can see locations that people have tagged.

There's this really small park I know nearby that it's basically like just a pond for some ducks with a fence around.  It's like 2 minutes to walk around it, but it has 4 stops on it lol I think two are for the entrances, one for the sign, and one for something else.  So I basically just drive around it and hit 4 stops in like 15 seconds.

desocietas

« Reply #69 on: July 13, 2016, 09:06:09 pm »

There's this really small park I know nearby that it's basically like just a pond for some ducks with a fence around.  It's like 2 minutes to walk around it, but it has 4 stops on it lol I think two are for the entrances, one for the sign, and one for something else.  So I basically just drive around it and hit 4 stops in like 15 seconds.

Haha. The landmarks are all based on Ingress, the other AR game that Niantic created. Basically all the user-submitted landmarks for Ingress turned into Pokestops and Pokemon Gyms in Pokemon Go. Because of that, there might be some outdated landmarks. In my area, there are still landmarks marked for items that no longer exist as of the last few years, like murals or certain storefronts.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

rayne315

« Reply #70 on: July 15, 2016, 10:01:28 am »
Well I found out something very important for not being upset with pokestops. you will still get items even if they did not come out in bubble.

I was running around town yesterday while I only had 4 pokeballs + 1 greatball but kept hitting all the pokestops before they fully loaded in so I would not get the bubble showing I got the items. well I ran into a few pokemon I wanted and noticed I had ~20 pokeballs (cant remember exact amount, so I started testing this and sure enough every spot I hit that did not bubble still gave me items, BUT did not turn the pinkish and remained blue. after words you are still capable of spinning it but it tells you "Try again later" and that is to tell you you already got your reward there.

XIII
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

telly

« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2016, 04:47:39 pm »
Has anyone been having trouble getting steps to record accurately for hatching eggs? I swear I walk a ton but it takes longer than it should to hatch anything.

It's crazy walking through campus and seeing crowds of people all on their phones. There's a place with three Pokestops next to each other and they always have lures and a ton of people around.
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
Has anyone been having trouble getting steps to record accurately for hatching eggs? I swear I walk a ton but it takes longer than it should to hatch anything.

It's crazy walking through campus and seeing crowds of people all on their phones. There's a place with three Pokestops next to each other and they always have lures and a ton of people around.
the app has to be open to record steps.

telly

« Reply #73 on: July 15, 2016, 06:27:01 pm »

the app has to be open to record steps.

I do have it open when I'm walking, but it still feels long to me
Currently Playing:
Super Monkey Ball (GC), Tunic (Switch), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

maximo310

« Reply #74 on: July 15, 2016, 06:28:07 pm »

Yes, this happened twice yesterday. The walk counter for one of my eggs stalled at 1.96 km/ 2km, after restarting it got stuck at 1.97km/2km. So I ignored it for a while, played around with cataching a few more wild pokemon, and after a half a mile it finally hatched. 
The app also freezes at times, and I wish there were more wild pokemon in residental neighborhoods, but I'm having an ok time with it so far.