Author Topic: Which do you like better, Rule of Rose or Kuon?  (Read 3100 times)

Which do you like better, Rule of Rose or Kuon?
« on: July 11, 2016, 04:41:49 pm »
Both really pricey survival horror games for PS2. I might cave in and buy one lol. Which do you think is better? Do either play close to clock tower 3. because I love clock tower 3  ;D

azure

Re: Which do you like better, Rule of Rose or Kuon?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 06:27:08 pm »
I prefer Kuon, I'm not a fan of RoR. Kuon is a good SH game, though not worth the asking price IMO.

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 10:18:47 pm »
I think they're both gorgeous games weighed down by some pretty significant flaws, but I enjoyed them regardless. I'd have to go with Kuon for its unique setting. Heian-era Japan doesn't get enough attention. If you're looking for something similar to Clock Tower 3, I wouldn't say either of them really match. Both are a lot more combat-heavy than CT3. Haunting Ground was much more similar, IMO, and it's another rare PS2 horror game worth about half as much as Kuon or Rule of Rose. Kuon can get really repetitive while Rule of Rose has some frustratingly broken combat sections. It all comes down to your tolerance for flawed game design, I guess.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:27:30 pm by doctorlaudanum »
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 08:17:30 am »
I haven't tried Kuon, but it looks pretty neat.

I really enjoyed Rule of Rose with the exception of the second boss fight. If you can get over that hurdle then the rest of the game will be worth your time.

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 09:10:14 am »
A whole 5 people on the website may be able to answer this question lol.

kashell

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:30:39 am »
I did a general search and...holy hell. Kuon is expensive!

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 04:03:41 pm »
^Right?! And I thought $40 for my copy was a rip-off.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 06:19:43 pm »
I did a general search and...holy hell. Kuon is expensive!

I found it at a game store no less for only $5. At the time I know it was going for around $50, but it's just ridiculous what it's going for now. Still need to get my hands on a copy of Rule of Rose, but you wont see me paying $150+ for it anytime soon.

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 06:56:31 pm »
If I ever get my hands on those games..   >:(

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 07:09:40 pm »
Honestly, I don't think they're worth nearly as much as they currently are. I like both games well enough, but $150+ for the barebones game disc is ludicrous. I'd wait for the price to go down or try my luck at a garage sale if I were you guys.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 08:53:47 am »
Honestly, I don't think they're worth nearly as much as they currently are. I like both games well enough, but $150+ for the barebones game disc is ludicrous. I'd wait for the price to go down or try my luck at a garage sale if I were you guys.

I may just end up watching a non-LP version of it because it sounds like it has a really cool story.

theflea

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2016, 02:30:48 pm »
I remember about 5 years ago a fellow collector warned me to go buy both games as soon as possible. They are both hard to come by and will only go up in price. At the time I rarely bought PS2 games online because I found them so much at garage sales I always figure I might find it one day. But I listened and bought both games online. At the time they sold for about $30-$40. And now I'm so glad I did, I have never found ether game at a garage sale or at any of my local game stores. I played both games and found Kuon pulled me in more. But both games are worth playing if you can get your hands on a copy. I don't know if I recommend paying the $100-$200 price tag most want for these games, but if you can do a trade or get stupid lucky and find it at a garage sale or thrift store then go for it.   ;)
"Happy game hunting!!!"

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 04:09:08 pm »
^I got insanely lucky a couple years ago when a single Rule of Rose disc was drifting around the $300 mark and found a complete copy on Amazon for less than $7. Snatched it up immediately, and it looks and plays great. Now if only that would happen with a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Sometimes it is just blind luck with rarer games like these. Keep searching, guys. I wish you the best. Watching a walkthrough online as kashell said isn't a bad idea, as I think the game's strong points are its story and presentation. If you'd still rather play it for yourself and don't mind passing up the more collectible North American version, you can pick up a Chinese or Japanese copy for around $80 if you order directly from a Chinese of Japanese site. All the voice acting is in English regardless of version. Wish I could say the same about Kuon.

kashell

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2016, 08:59:06 am »
You paid 7 dollars for Rule of Rose?! That luck is magnificent! Congratulations on that. I paid a liiiiittle bit more than that, but to me it was worth the price because it was such a unique (and damn scary) game.

I doubt I'll be hunting for Kuon. Rule of Rose is a game I was always interested in since it's release, but with Kuon it's the first I'm hearing of it so a walkthrough video might suffice.

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2016, 09:31:45 am »
My wife loves SH games, and as such, she has been wanting both of these and Haunting Ground, but they are all too damned pricey.