Author Topic: Cottage cheese - why does this exist?  (Read 2952 times)

gf78

Re: Cottage cheese - why does this exist?
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2016, 08:20:17 pm »
How can you make a nice lasagna without cottage cheese? I suppose you can use ricotta but I don't think it's as good.

What???  You have to add stuff to the ricotta to add flavor.  My Italian mom would slap you for the cottage cheese blasphemy!
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:24:21 pm by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

aliensstudios

« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2016, 08:35:04 pm »
How can you make a nice lasagna without cottage cheese? I suppose you can use ricotta but I don't think it's as good.

What???  You have to add stuff to the ricotta to add flavor.  My Italian mom would slap you for the cottage cheese blasphemy!
Hey, it's the way my mom always made it and it turns out pretty good. She does a layer of mozzarella on top that crisps up when you bake it. She's made it with ricotta before and it turns out good too. Maybe cottage cheese on lasagna is blasphemy but so is dipping pizza in ranch dressing or some of the other odd food trends in this day in age.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

doctorlaudanum

« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2016, 09:32:06 pm »
It exists so I can know to pity the poor souls who've never had it with some black pepper and cherry tomatoes mixed in. That stuff's amazing on a hot day.
Always looking to buy Drakengard, Nier, and Siren collector's items.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2016, 10:08:22 pm »

Hey, it's the way my mom always made it and it turns out pretty good. She does a layer of mozzarella on top that crisps up when you bake it. She's made it with ricotta before and it turns out good too. Maybe cottage cheese on lasagna is blasphemy but so is dipping pizza in ranch dressing or some of the other odd food trends in this day in age.

Im sorry if that came off as condescending as that was not my intent. I was joking. I've had lots of lasagna with cottage cheese and it's pretty damn tasty. My great grandparents moved here from Sicily around the turn of the century and they have passed down the same recipe which always has ricotta. I guess nothing can compare to moms cooking!   :P

Another fantastic use for ricotta is Canolis. Add powdered sugar, mini chocolate chips, stuff it in the shell and garnish the ends with a maraschino cherry. Can you say YUM?!
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

aliensstudios

« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2016, 11:50:48 pm »

Im sorry if that came off as condescending as that was not my intent. I was joking. I've had lots of lasagna with cottage cheese and it's pretty damn tasty. My great grandparents moved here from Sicily around the turn of the century and they have passed down the same recipe which always has ricotta. I guess nothing can compare to moms cooking!   :P

Another fantastic use for ricotta is Canolis. Add powdered sugar, mini chocolate chips, stuff it in the shell and garnish the ends with a maraschino cherry. Can you say YUM?!
We're talking about cottage cheese on a video game forum, I'm not taking anything seriously here  :)
Cannoli is delicious, plain and simple. It's actually one of my favorite desserts.

soera

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2016, 12:38:11 am »
The world is ending as we know it ...   :(

It's true. Those of us who eat cottage cheese will soon become mindless zombie-like creatures who's only goal is to turn those who did not eat it into the creamy curds. In this post-apocalyptic world only Sorea will stand between us creatures of the cottage and the re-rise of humanity. With only a shotgun and his Harley, he'll roam the countryside hunting us... with only his sidekick MarvelVsCapcom2 to keep him company by asking if he prefers Brainy or Hefty Smurf.

Win

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2016, 01:35:17 am »
I am a very open minded and adventurous eater, but one of maybe a handful of foods I cannot stand is cottage cheese. Hate the taste, hate the texture, hate the smell; it grosses me out in every way and always has.

gf78

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2016, 08:24:02 am »
We're talking about cottage cheese on a video game forum, I'm not taking anything seriously here  :)
Cannoli is delicious, plain and simple. It's actually one of my favorite desserts.

See?  It's all how you flavor the ricotta!  By itself, it doesn't have a very strong flavor.  That's why it's so good & versatile.  Unfortunately, it's pretty damn expensive!

aliensstudios

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2016, 04:23:02 pm »

See?  It's all how you flavor the ricotta!  By itself, it doesn't have a very strong flavor.  That's why it's so good & versatile.  Unfortunately, it's pretty damn expensive!
Yep, it's sort of a lot of spices, nothing special by itself but can make or break a dish

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2016, 07:04:42 pm »
you know you'll question the existence of Cottage Cheese, but you won't question the fact that at some point someone had to look at a cow and had to of said to themselves "I think I'll pull on those Dangling things and drink whatever comes out"

soera

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 07:11:49 pm »
Im sure some redneck married his cow and was just getting to 2nd base when he realized what it was.