Author Topic: Final Fantasy or Shin Megami Tensei series?  (Read 1518 times)

Final Fantasy or Shin Megami Tensei series?
« on: August 01, 2016, 11:54:21 am »
If you could only pick one historic RPG franchise. Which would you choose?  The FF series, or the Shin Megami series?

azure

Re: Final Fantasy or Shin Megami Tensei series?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 11:57:45 am »
Shin Megami Tensei for sure.

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016, 03:36:21 pm »
Once upon a time, I would've said Final Fantasy without hesitation, but these days, definitely Shin Megami Tensei. More mature storytelling, more interesting characters, better combat mechanics, more stylish, more engrossing. Square's spent way too much time trying to fix something that was never that badly broken in the first place, adding increasing layers of complexity just to combat, endless cutscenes, banal character development, and the visual design has just turned into an increasingly absurd representation of Nomura's fixation with feathered hair and belt pouches.

kashell

« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016, 03:43:57 pm »
I'd go with Final Fantasy. Aside from the two Digital Devil Sagas, I could never get into the SMT series.

anagar

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016, 05:44:37 pm »
I'll take Shin Megami Tensei over Final Fanstasy.
PSN,Wii U/NID:ANA_GAR XBL:ANAGARXB 3DS/FC:4441-9981-8329

necrosexual

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016, 03:13:39 am »
SMT.

every time i try to play final fantasy and give it a shot, i just continue to find myself not enjoying it. exception is ff4.
i've tried over and over and keep returning to no avail, but as a jrpg lover, i feel like that's a sin, haha.
i also feel like a dirty hipster because ff is arguably the biggest jrpg franchise ever... unless you include pokemon
(i love FF's art design though, in contrast to insektmute... but i'm a fan of belt pouches and flair in clothing/accessories, heh)

but SMT is fantastic, i've not been disappointed in any of the SMT games i've tried, mainline or not, and while i don't have a complete SMT collection yet, i'm desperately trying.
SMT is one of my top series in gaming, though.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016, 08:55:54 am »
I've never played an SMT game other than Tokyo Mirage Sessions, and that was only for a few hours before I dropped it.

I've also never really played an FF game.  I played FFXI in my youth, but I hit level 25, learned Revive, died and de-leveled, lost Revive, and stopped playing altogether.  I watched my wife play FFIX, and may have taken part in playing.  I recall enjoying that.

pizzasafari

« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2016, 11:13:17 am »
If I can say pre-Enix merge Final Fantasy I'll go with that. If we're talking about the serieseses as a whole that's really tricky. Final Fantasy 5 - 10 are some of my favourite games of all time but I really don't like anything that came after. Whereas I only like a handful of SMT games but the SMT games I do like I absolutely love. Final Fantasy 8 and Persona 3 are my joint favourite games of all time.

I guess I'll go with SMT just because it's still going strong whereas Final Fantasy is not.

I've also never really played an FF game.  I played FFXI in my youth, but I hit level 25, learned Revive, died and de-leveled, lost Revive, and stopped playing altogether.  I watched my wife play FFIX, and may have taken part in playing.  I recall enjoying that.

You shouldn't let XI form your opinion of the FF series, it doesn't really count as a FF game. Play one of the non-MMO games, preferably any of the PS1 or SNES games. It's a great time. IX is one of the best ones, if your wife still has it you should definitely give it a proper try.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 11:30:56 am by LeJason »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2016, 11:19:58 am »
Dragon Quest/Warrior

« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 11:53:33 am »
I will admin that my experience with SMT games is somewhat limited since I've only been able to give two of them a fair shot, but when I tried I just had a really hard time getting through them. Whereas with Final Fantasy, several of them are among my favorite games of all time. 15-years after I first played and beat it, FFVII is still my thrid favorite game of all time, and FFX barely misses being a top ten game of all time for me. I also loved FFIX and VIII as well.

I will admin that the franchise has really lost its way, with FFXI being the beginning of the end imo, but there is still a lot there that I enjoy. I haven't been able to say that about SMT just yet.

madmax

« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2016, 12:55:13 pm »
It's obvious that I am going to say Final Fantasy. Although I do agree that their newer entries to the series have been pretty "meh" as of late, their classic games changed the way games are made. Old FF was so good/influential. Even today, a few smaller RPGs have been selling themselves as "classic FF style".

« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 01:09:38 pm »
FF all the way, but I've only played up until FF XII.

I do have most Smt games on ps2, but only Lucifer's Call (Nocturne) and Persona 1 really hook me, most of the others are a bit weird for me.