Author Topic: What is a game that everyone hates but you love?  (Read 4608 times)

Re: What is a game that everyone hates but you love?
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2016, 09:22:47 am »
I wouldn't say I loooooooved it, but I really liked the 2010 Splatterhouse.  It didn't get great reviews.  I saw more than one place say that the inclusion of the older games was the only reason to buy this game. 

It was silly and repetitive, but I had a good time playing it.  It's one of the few games I played through more than once last generation.
I did not even know it had the older games.

gf78

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2016, 09:56:50 am »
I wouldn't say I loooooooved it, but I really liked the 2010 Splatterhouse.  It didn't get great reviews.  I saw more than one place say that the inclusion of the older games was the only reason to buy this game. 

It was silly and repetitive, but I had a good time playing it.  It's one of the few games I played through more than once last generation.

Yep.  They were on the TurboGrafx 16, arcade and Genesis.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2016, 10:07:20 am by gf78 »
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2016, 10:02:52 am »

Yep.  They were on the TurboGrafx 16.
No, I was saying that I didn't know that the 2010 release contained the older games.  Also, only the first Splatterhouse was on the TG16, the rest were on the Genesis.

gf78

« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 10:09:34 am »

Yep.  They were on the TurboGrafx 16.
No, I was saying that I didn't know that the 2010 release contained the older games.  Also, only the first Splatterhouse was on the TG16, the rest were on the Genesis.

LOL...yeah I just edited my post to reflect the Genesis games.  I too did not know the originals were included in the 2010 game.  I am now highly tempted to buy the new version. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition

gf78

« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2016, 10:12:25 am »

Thanks Turf!  I had no idea the originals were included!  Can you do me a solid and look out how much it is for 360 at GameStop?  I have a coupon I can cash in and if it's cheap enough I will probably get it.  Thank you!

« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2016, 10:32:55 am »

Thanks Turf!  I had no idea the originals were included!  Can you do me a solid and look out how much it is for 360 at GameStop?  I have a coupon I can cash in and if it's cheap enough I will probably get it.  Thank you!
$10.

gf78

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2016, 10:42:57 am »

$10.

Right on!  Now I just need to see if my local-yokel GameStop has one in stock.   ;D

« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2016, 10:49:15 am »

$10.

Right on!  Now I just need to see if my local-yokel GameStop has one in stock.   ;D
I think I see it at my local pawn shops for $8 on the frequent.  I'll wait it out.

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2016, 12:38:31 pm »
Alien Colonial Marines

This game definitely had flaws, but it was far from being the shitty, unplayable mess that critics claimed it was. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and as a big fan of the source material I thought it was a good game.

« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2016, 01:06:01 pm »
I think a lot of times, especially in recent years, games were absolute shit piles at release, but over time the game gets patched, but the damage is done and no one plays it.  But then you do play it, and it's not that bad...

Except Assassin's Creed Unity... that game is still a steaming shit pile.

gf78

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2016, 01:07:06 pm »
Alien Colonial Marines

This game definitely had flaws, but it was far from being the shitty, unplayable mess that critics claimed it was. I enjoyed it quite a bit, and as a big fan of the source material I thought it was a good game.

I played through the entire game.  While I didn't hate it, if it weren't for the source material you mentioned it would have just been an all-around turd.  Aside from being mediocre in every conceivable way, the thing that bugged me most was how they ret-conned the storyline where Hicks never died.  That was stupid.

gf78

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2016, 01:08:32 pm »
Another game that got panned hard that I enjoyed was Lair.  It wasn't anything spectacular, aside from the graphics.  But it was fun and the developers pretty quickly patched normal controls into the game.  But the damage was done and nobody was buying it.  It even put Factor 5 out of business which meant no more Star Wars Rogue Squadron games too.   :'(

kashell

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2016, 02:11:23 pm »
I thought of another one. Breath of Fire Dragon Quarter.

I adored this game, as did a couple of close friends on another forum. Whenever it gets mentioned, it either generates a stream of hate or infinite praise. There is never any middle ground with it. Unfortunately, most people despise it for being so different.

shepard11

« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2016, 11:30:33 pm »

Why I pick it up was for the first 3 games. I just can't get into the new one

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2016, 12:56:47 am »
My most blatant instances:

Pit Fighter (Genesis).
Now, the arcade version of Pit Fighter is dogshit. And the SNES port is flaming dogshit. I personally find the Genesis port somewhat playable. I actually liked it enough to buy it, and I played it and beat it fairly regularly. The hit detection is a bit better than the arcade or the SNES.

Clay Fighter (SNES)
Definitely not the best fighter, but I enjoyed the imaginative characters and the opening song. I liked it enough to buy the sequel, and prompted me to buy Clay Fighter 64 1/3 Sculptor's Cut from my local Blockbuster when they made it available.

WWF In Your House (PS1)
I loved the Wrestlemania arcade game and PS1 port, so I had to get this sequel of sorts. It's not as good as its predecessor, but I liked it well enough.

This last one is video game blasphemy:
I love Chrono Cross, even more than Chrono Trigger.
I don't know if that qualifies, though, since Cross isn't really hated.