Author Topic: What IGN/GameInformer review did you think was way off?  (Read 2363 times)

What IGN/GameInformer review did you think was way off?
« on: August 07, 2016, 03:35:18 pm »
I try not to take what IGN says to heart. Half the games they bash are awesome and half the games they say are incredible aren't. Its all about the mighty dollar and who gives it to them the most. I am not sure I trust either magazine as an unbiased publication.

Does anyone else disagree with most of IGNs and Gameinformer reviews? Which do you think was most offensive? :D

I kinda boycotted them when neither gave Bioshock a 10 lol. If Bioshock doesn't get a 10 then what does? Where is the measuring stick? Bioshock was easily a top 5 FPS ever.  But I guess everyone has different tastes but from what I hear a lot of people agree that bioshock was a 10.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:14:26 pm by marvelvscapcom2 »

azure

Re: What IGN/GameInformer review did you think was way off?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2016, 03:45:12 pm »
All of them, no review will sway me until I experience it first hand. Some of my favorite games are the ones with low scores given to them by big name reviewers.

maximo310

« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2016, 05:01:30 pm »
When it came to reviews, I think Gamespot could be worse than the other two at times.

Anyways, one genre that comes to mind was shmups, because most reviewers credit-fed through the levels, and then complained about it being too short which undermines the ultimate goal of completing a shmup on 1 credit and trying to get better at managing your resources.  This leads to scores such as Giga Wing (DC) getting a 3.5 from IGN, Raiden IV got a 6/10 from IGN,  X-Play gave Mobile Light Force 2 a 1/5,  this sad Giga Wing 2 review here http://gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/3231/,  a Galactic Attack review w/ 79% where the review constantly bags the game as being dated and old, and doesn't get any of the gameplay systems or story correctly,  along with others. This thread will help with more bad reviews: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33343
Other arcade games during the 32 bit era through the 2000's sometimes had pretty bad reviews against them, mainly if they weren't 3-D games, but mostly because they were too short and could be credit-fed easily.

IGN has some real bad ones for other games are well, like God Hand. But the reviewers opinions' I hated the most were at Gamespot such as Tom McShea, Caryoln Petit, Maxwell McGee, etc ( who have all been replaced w/ other medicore reviewers).  Not only were these reviewers inaccurate with their opinion on the games, but were inconscient with their criticisms. Some of their examples are the Shovel Knight review ( 7/10), the Luigi's Dark Mansion review ( 6/10), ZombiU review (4.5/10 and the worst one,  the DK Tropical Freeze (6/10) review.

The main point is to pretty much ignore all of these gaming websites for major reviews, and look for other user reviewers who can more accurately give a honest opinion of the game.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 07:28:29 pm by maximo310 »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2016, 06:28:53 pm »
Personally in I think anyone whose opinion is "if (insert game) doesn't get a 10 then nothing does." Is way off

« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2016, 07:18:37 pm »
Personally in I think anyone whose opinion is "if (insert game) doesn't get a 10 then nothing does." Is way off

Oops, I worded that wrong.  Fixed it lol.  ;D

« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2016, 07:24:36 pm »
When it came to reviews, I think Gamespot could be worse than the other two at times.

Anyways, one genre that comes to mind was shmups, because most reviewers credit-fed through the levels, and then complained about it being too short which undermines the ultimate goal of completing a shmup on 1 credit and trying to get better at managing your resources.  This leads to scores such as Giga Wing (DC) getting a 3.5 from IGN, Raiden IV got a 6/10 from IGN,  X-Play gave Mobile Light Force 2 a 1/5,  this sad Giga Wing 2 review here http://gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/3231/,  along with others. This thread will help with more bad reviews: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=33343
Other arcade games during the 32 bit era through the 2000's sometimes had pretty bad reviews against them, mainly if they weren't 3-D games, but mostly because they were too short and could be credit-fed easily.

IGN has some real bad ones for other games are well, like God Hand. But the reviewers opinions' I hated the most were at Gamespot such as Tom McShea, Caryoln Petit, Maxwell McGee, etc ( who have all been replaced w/ other medicore reviewers).  Not only were these reviewers inaccurate with their opinion on the games, but were inconscient with their criticisms. Some of their examples are the Shovel Knight review ( 7/10), the Luigi's Dark Mansion review ( 6/10), ZombiU review (4.5/10 and the worst one,  the DK Tropical Freeze (6/10) review.

The main point is to pretty much ignore all of these gaming websites for major reviews, and look for other user reviewers who can more accurately give a honest opinion of the game.

Wow, DK Tropical Freeze a 6/10?  No coincidence I stopped going to Gamespot.com 5 years ago lol. Jeez. I wonder why I stopped looking them up. Then I always put all my hope into IGN and GI until I realized that gameinformer is basically PlayStation Magazine and when I noticed IGN was brutally biased to their own beliefs and sponsors.  Recently I have been starting to put all my faith into the "User review" although sometimes you cant trust that because it could be flame wars or sony fan boys bashing xbox exclusives so I tend to dig deep into the reviews users left and see what actual gamers tend to say. Those are usually honest.  :D

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2016, 07:30:25 pm »
I avoid IGN and I only take Game Informer tepidly when I read theirs, but I haven't seen any that stood out so significantly.

ZombiU review (4.5/10)

It's not really that far off, that game is like a 6/10 at best lol The rest of the scores you brought up seem pretty ridiculous though.

maximo310

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2016, 07:44:20 pm »
ZombiU review (4.5/10)

It's not really that far off, that game is like a 6/10 at best lol The rest of the scores you brought up seem pretty ridiculous though.
I thought the 4.5 was a bit harsh, since that's usually reserved for games that are plain terrible, and I thought the content of the review wasn't well thought out and didn't accurately reflect the game. I think a 6/10 is a much better score, since it does fall into the barely above average range.

necrosexual

« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2016, 10:49:10 pm »
ohhh i used to read a lot of game informer reviews before i was an adult, back when i didn't have cash to spend willy-nilly on games, and really, really had to be picky about what i bought. i remember being, ahhh, about 13 or so, and i was really trying to build my library to be good games exclusively. maybe 14. around 13-14.
but we had a subscription to game informer. and i was tired of playing shitty games because i wasn't looking at any reviews.

well, i stopped that shit pretty quick when they gave pokemon mystery dungeon: blue rescue team a fucking 3/10. three out of fucking ten. that game wasn't perfect, by any stretch, but even metacritic's average is double that at 62%. i actually got it that christmas. it was my first game of the genre, too, so i'll give it credit for that. no, it wasn't that great, but three out of fucking ten, guys.

my distrust in the magazine went full-blown when i got a stack of them from a high school friend, who just... had a bunch of them she didn't want anymore. she gave me the copy with tales of the abyss's PS2 review in it. they gave it a 5 or 6 out of 10. infuriated me, because ToA stands as one of my favourite games on the ps2... top 5, by far. interestingly, IGN gave it... 8.3/10... the 3DS remake got a lower score.

maximo brought up user reviews, and i disregard those, too. gamers are just as bad as professionals, if not worse in some regards.

kindafunnygames brought up an incredibly good point about IGN (they're all former IGN guys) and professional reviewers in general, and low scores. it shed a lot of light on the professional reviewer 'controversy', if you will. they said pro reviewers are usually much harsher on games (than average players) because they see the same shit over and over. they have to push out so many reviews, which means they play the same games, which explains why games with the same thing done over and over... it might be new to the average player (say, a niche game does something unique, then a few AAA titles take that, those average people may only play one or two of the AAA titles with that unique thing, while a pro reviewer may have had to play all the AAA titles AND the niche game that started it all in the first place) but it's not to the professional, it's either overstayed its welcome, or has simply been done ad nauseum to the point a professional reviewer is tired of it... while the average person may not be.

add to that reviewer fatigue (it IS a job after all, and jobs wear out their allure, no matter how neat the job, and if it's a shitty month where you were given 20 ridiculously long games, you're going to feel overbooked) and there you have it: games can get incredibly low scores without honestly warranting it, because of all of that.

this also explains why a game that may not appeal to gamers, but brings something new to the table, will get these stupidly high reviews... like walking simulators, when they were fresh to the table, they were getting incredibly high scores, because professional reviewers found some relief in them because they weren't the 15th pew pew open world shooter of the month.

the flip side to that is the idiot userbase who hasn't seen X theme or Y mechanic that has been done in 20 fucking niche games you might have played, but then got jacked by some AAA title. so they go on and on about how unique and interesting the mechanic/theme/whatever is, but you've already seen it, so that would knock your own opinion of the game down from 'unique experience' to 'meh, seen it, done that'.

anyway, yeah, the one review that sticks out to me is pokemon mystery dungeon: blue rescue team. that game, in GI, was absolutely fucking TRASHED.

i guess i could also say that when i see shit like tomb raider reboot get a 9/10 i feel like it's way the fuck off, because when i played it, i was sitting there and literally saying "when does the game start?" for the first two hours. the game had started. that was the game. maybe it finally opens up out of QTE nightmare 'hold your hand and guide you piece by piece through the story' bullshit, but i didn't bother to give it more time to see.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2016, 10:51:01 pm by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2016, 10:56:09 pm »
"Professional" video game journalism is a total joke. It was proven a long time ago that many reviews posted on IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid and other big name gaming sites are bought and paid for by publishers because good reviews equate to more sales.

I often trust user reviews way more since they don't have anything at stake by saying a game is good or bad. I also use sites like metacritic which have aggregate scores from many different sources.

kashell

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2016, 09:37:40 am »
"Professional" video game journalism is a total joke. It was proven a long time ago that many reviews posted on IGN, Gamespot, Destructoid and other big name gaming sites are bought and paid for by publishers because good reviews equate to more sales.

I often trust user reviews way more since they don't have anything at stake by saying a game is good or bad. I also use sites like metacritic which have aggregate scores from many different sources.

All of them, no review will sway me until I experience it first hand. Some of my favorite games are the ones with low scores given to them by big name reviewers.

All of this.

I can't stand IGN(orant), Gamespot, or Destructoid. Hell, the only reason I still get the GI (tract) "magazine" is because it gives me something to flip through while I lounge by the pool or something. Even then, it gets pitched after a few hours.

I realize that most people's taste in games doesn't align with mine, which is cool. But these "professional" reviewers are just foolish. I look at this example for Enchanted Arms. The person who reviewed it said it wasn't a good game due to the fact that you had to fight battles, level up your characters, read text, and so on. Since Enchanted Arms is an RPG, this is SOP. So, like, why even bother reviewing the game in the first place? Some other website bashed that review, which was pretty glorious. I'll look for it later.

gf78

« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 10:39:33 am »
I don't trust professional reviews nor do I put much stock in them, other than seeing numerous ones to get a general vibe for a game.  If many say a game is bad, chances are it's got problems.  Things have become even worse now since people base everything including bonuses for developers on Metacritic scores.  The fact is now you have little independent "Joes" who will post a negative review with a completely outlandish score just to get clicks on their crappy site. 

With that being said, I've never played the "perfect" game.  Every game ever made from Pong to today has something that isn't perfect.  And that's perfectly fine.  This whole mentality that a game isn't "AAA" or even good if it doesn't score a 9.5 or 10/10 is ludicrous. 
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2016, 10:46:16 am »
I don't really look at reviews.  When I do, I generally look at the bullet-points.

I think Gamespot or someone (or everyone) does a little pros - cons list at the bottom of their review.  I'll look at that.  Pros and Cons are usually very objective and short enough not to be biased.

Score based reviews kind of suck.  Just because it's a 5/10 doesn't mean you won't like it, just because it's a 10/10 doesn't mean you will like it. 

Game Informer does a little thing off to the side where they talk about Replay value, playability, sound, story, etc.  If a game has little to no replay value, I'll probably rent the game rather than invest money for a relatively short experience.  If the game is objectively broken (looking at you AC: Unity), I might skip it altogether (wish I had).  ETC.