Author Topic: Sony or Nintendo all time?  (Read 4349 times)

desocietas

Re: Sony or Nintendo all time?
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2016, 01:25:24 pm »

I can completely skip the PS1/N64 Era

:o dem's fightin' words!

Haha, I've always heard that was the golden age - not your sort of thing?

But then again, I run with folks who are big into RPGs, and I know RPGs were very strong on the PS1/N64 front.

It'd be hard to choose for me. Can I say Sony for home consoles and Nintendo for portables? My biggest collections are in PS2 and NDS...
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

gf78

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2016, 02:14:22 pm »

But then again, I run with folks who are big into RPGs, and I know RPGs were very strong on the PS1/N64 front.

It'd be hard to choose for me. Can I say Sony for home consoles and Nintendo for portables? My biggest collections are in PS2 and NDS...

The PS1/N64 (and the Saturn to a lesser extent) were the first generation of true 3D graphics, PC notwithstanding.  And while it's hard to look at many games from that era because by today's standards the graphics are butt-ass ugly, these games laid the foundation for what we have now.  In fact, I was playing the Gears of War Remaster yesterday and said to myself "Damn, these graphics look great!"  Mind you, this is a remaster as well so it's not entirely new assets.

So I have a fondness for PlayStation and the groundwork it laid for everything that has come since.   
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2016, 02:31:08 pm »

That's when I fell out with RPG's.  The forced 3D on everything looks like ass.  Symphony of the Night is the only reason to have a PS1.  I said it.  Write it down.   ;)
If I had to pick one, I'd go with the N64 just for Mario Kart and the THQ wrestling games.

aliensstudios

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2016, 02:42:25 pm »
Can't even compare, I'd say N64 tops PS1, GameCube tops PS2, PS3 tops Wii, PS4 tops Wii U… it's a tie. It would have been interesting had Sony joined the race in the 8 and 16 bit era
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

stealthrush

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2016, 03:29:39 pm »
Sega.

If that were an option. Every Sega system released, arcade port brought over I would be perfectly fine playing for the rest of my life. New games built around open-world are not for me. I am not a fan of realistic graphics, or cinema-style story telling of modern era.

That being said it is hard to decide out of Nintendo and Playstation. Since Family Computer has some of the best early games, and Super Famicom followed suit I would choose Nintendo. Unfortunately everything after SNES I felt went downhill for them, I am/was never a fan of Nintendo 64.

PlayStation on the other hand had great hardware when it was first launched an a catalog of diverse games (similar to FC/NES) ranging from all different genres across the board. PlayStation 2 was a decent system, and I was never a fan of PlayStation 3. PlayStation 4 is looking to be the worst system when it comes to game library to date, at least to me.

Flashback2012

« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2016, 03:37:48 pm »
Is... Is both an acceptable answer?

In regards to this thread, it's the correct answer.  ;)

gf78

« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2016, 03:50:08 pm »
That's when I fell out with RPG's.  The forced 3D on everything looks like ass.  Symphony of the Night is the only reason to have a PS1.  I said it.  Write it down.   ;)
If I had to pick one, I'd go with the N64 just for Mario Kart and the THQ wrestling games.

Sony, Sega and Nintendo all went 3D at that time.  You had grainy 3D graphics on the PlayStation and Saturn, or stretched & blurry graphics on the N64.  Like I said, these systems laid the groundwork for what is available today.  And while 2D sprites certainly have charm and their own place in gaming, the advances in 3D graphics is fantastic.

And I have to agree, Symphony of the Night is the single best game on the PlayStation.   ;D
Currently playing:  Last of Us Part II Remastered, Cyberpunk 2077 Ultimate Edition
Currently listening to:  Iron Maiden & Ghost
Currently Watching:  Cyberpunk Edgerunners & Last of Us

tpugmire

« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2016, 04:03:35 pm »
As usual, I agree with everything Turf says. He's a smart cookie!
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2016, 04:15:44 pm »
In terms of quantity of excellent titles, Sony has way more amazing games on their platforms than Nintendo. However, in terms of sheer quality, Nintendo is unmatched imo. But I will leave you with this:

Gen 5: Nintendo (Nintendo 64)
Gen 6: Sony (Playstation 2)
Gen 7: Sony (Playstation 3)
Gen 8 : Sony (Playstation 4)

sin2beta

« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2016, 05:34:07 pm »
Sega.

If that were an option. Every Sega system released, arcade port brought over I would be perfectly fine playing for the rest of my life. New games built around open-world are not for me. I am not a fan of realistic graphics, or cinema-style story telling of modern era.

I was going to say that. But thought it would be too expected.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

sin2beta

« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2016, 05:35:48 pm »

I agree with you a lot on this one. I would only add Robotron 64 and Killer Instinct Gold to my collection to your previous list.
UPDATED 01/22/2016 New Ages of SEGA "Space Slalom" is now on....
SegaNerds.com: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t7J9ZbGNB-c

« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2016, 06:51:01 pm »
Sega.

I was going to say that. But thought it would be too expected.

I will also jump on this. Sega is and has always been my favorite. It just sucks we haven't had a hardware presence from them in 15-years.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2016, 12:10:45 am »
This is REALLY tough...
I've been a Nintendo supporter from the Game & Watch days, and have always appreciated the quality of everything they put out. NES was head and shoulders above everything else at the time, and the SNES > Genesis (IMO). However, the N64 and Gamecube only had a handful of titles that were really system-sellers, while PS1 and PS2 had multiple killer apps and popular franchises. And starting with the Wii/PS3 era there's no contest. Wii lost me as a customer and I have no interest in Nintendo's products going forward. As much as I love the Big N, they've really dropped the ball in recent years.

Ultimately, I give the slight overall edge to Nintendo. The NES was revolutionary, the SNES was great, and even though they had fewer good games, the quality titles on N64 and Gamecube were groundbreaking (Mario 64, OOT, RE4, Metroid Prime). My answer will likely change in a few years, however, if things keep going the way they have been. Nintendo could potentially be out of the console business and most of their best stuff will be 20-30 years old.

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2016, 11:01:54 am »
Nintendo for me, there's no question. They are pretty much why I play games, they were heavily influential in what I like to play, a lot of their games are in my all time favorites, even their modern endeavors seem to have the same touch. You could have a thousand worthwhile games and the most impressive box on the market, it doesn't matter. It's just about what games you like, and why you like them.

pizzasafari

« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2016, 06:26:02 pm »
Personally I've never really been a fan of Nintendo. Other than the SNES none of their consoles have had that many games that appeal to me. And most of my favourite games are on Sony's consoles. So Sony is a clear winner for me. :P

That includes handhelds too, the only handheld from any company I've enjoyed playing is the Vita. I've always hated the double screens and touch controls on the DSes (especially since I'm a lefty) and the PSP feels really clunky. My Vita on the other hand I love to pieces.