Author Topic: Infinity Figure Naming Question  (Read 3675 times)

tripredacus

Re: Infinity Figure Naming Question
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2016, 12:50:36 pm »
OK  :D

It works well enough. Hopefully no one complains.  :-X

argyle

« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2016, 12:24:21 am »
Haven't added any figures for a few weeks, and the new naming scheme cracks me up.

Seriously, I propose we name them as such:

Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition: 6+: Disney - Warning: Choking Hazard - Small Parts -- Not For Children Under 3 Years::-: Disney Infinity 3.0 Edition Video Game And Base Required For Use. - Minnie Mouse

I mean, if we're gonna use EVERYTHING on the box, let's just go all out. :P
"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed
if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty I read them openly. When I
became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the
desire to be very grown up.” ― C.S. Lewis

tripredacus

« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2016, 10:25:38 am »
LEGO Dimensions. Should we use the item number in the title like the LEGO Dimensions wikia does?
http://lego-dimensions.wikia.com/wiki/71211_Fun_Pack
vs
http://vgcollect.com/item/88056
http://vgcollect.com/item/88057

These two are an example as of why. Use of (Bart) or (Krusty) in the title is wrong based on existing style because these are not variations.

Akin to this: http://vgcollect.com/item/88055
LEGO Dimensions: Level Pack - The Simpsons
then the Bart one would be
LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - The Simpsons 71211 ?

Obviously, we would need to put the set number on all entries of Lego products.

« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2016, 10:35:50 am »
I would say the "number" isn't necessary as it seems to be more of an item number, not a number in a series.  I doubt there are 71000 LEGO Dimensions sets.  I'm sure there are 71000 LEGO sets, but we aren't cataloging LEGO sets, so the point seems moot.

My opinion would be.

LEGO Dimensions: Simpsons Fun Pack - Krusty / Clown Bike
LEGO Dimensions: Simpsons Fun Pack - Bart / Gravity Sprinter
LEGO Dimensions: Simpsons Level Pack - Homer's Car / Homer / Taunt-O-Vision

There are obviously other reasonable options such as separating the Sub brand and Pack type.  The names of the items are on the box, and that's what we use for other types of figures, like the Splatoon amiibo pack.

LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - Simpsons - Krusty / Clown Bike

Would be an example, I suppose.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2016, 10:38:18 am by ignition365 »

tripredacus

« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2016, 12:17:17 pm »
I'm sure there are 71000 LEGO sets, but we aren't cataloging LEGO sets, so the point seems moot.

Well we are now.  :(

« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2016, 12:25:03 pm »
I'm sure there are 71000 LEGO sets, but we aren't cataloging LEGO sets, so the point seems moot.

Wait... like full on... we catalog lego sets?  Or are you talking about Dimensions LEGO sets.  It's not quite the same thing.  If we are cataloging all LEGO sets (all 72000 or something), then I guess it isn't unreasonable to include the item number, but if we are only logging the Dimensions sets, there is no reason to include the item number in the title.  Regardless of that, we have an item number field for that.  Kind of redundant.

If there is no likelihood of cataloging any LEGO set that is not a LEGO Dimensions set, then there is no reason to account for non LEGO Dimensions LEGO sets, right?

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2016, 02:02:20 pm »
So what happened with this?

I personally "Interactive Figures and Cards" for the sake of cohesion. Does it sound clear enough?

That works for me.  :)

So we're looking at:

Interactive Figures and Cards
Amiibo Cards
Amiibo Figures
Disney Infinity Figures/Power Discs/Play Sets
LEGO Dimensions Figures
Nintendo e-Reader Cards
Pokemon Rumble U NFC Figures
Skylanders Figures/Traps/Vehicles

I'm dumbfounded how setting up categories for SMS [KR] or Atari 2600 [BR ] that have zero entries and lead to 404 Error pages was more important than fixing the interactive figures categories that have been discussed plenty for months now. Nothing against the Korean or Brazilian members who want their games listed of course but I don't see why it's so hard to add the categories, move stuff around and THEN work on the naming conventions?

LEGO Dimensions. Should we use the item number in the title like the LEGO Dimensions wikia does?
http://lego-dimensions.wikia.com/wiki/71211_Fun_Pack
vs
http://vgcollect.com/item/88056
http://vgcollect.com/item/88057

These two are an example as of why. Use of (Bart) or (Krusty) in the title is wrong based on existing style because these are not variations.

Akin to this: http://vgcollect.com/item/88055
LEGO Dimensions: Level Pack - The Simpsons
then the Bart one would be
LEGO Dimensions: Fun Pack - The Simpsons 71211 ?

Obviously, we would need to put the set number on all entries of Lego products.

When I added those to the database, I was following the existing naming conventions that were in place for Infinity, Amiibo and Skylanders. At the time there was no official way of doing it so I tried to mimic the existing structure that was in place. Your Style Discussion: Toys post (http://vgcollect.com/forum/index.php/topic,7129.0.html) that became the (unwritten) de facto rules for all figures wouldn't exist for another 2/3 of a year so they were "right" up until your post decided they weren't. I get it, you want consistency across the board and it might surprise you but I really do agree with you largely for all toys/statues/dolls/busts/etc. EXCEPT when it comes to Interactive Figures and Cards. I just don't feel that the Interactive Figures should be held to the same rigid tenets of the figure naming if they had their own categories like we had been discussing as naming them with the brand first would be utterly redundant. The only real hangup I can see with IF & C being distinct is if someone wanted to add things like LEGO MineCraft sets to the site (and even then I'm sure we can hammer out how LEGO sets, whether interactive or not, can be named  ;)).

Can it be put to a vote? Is a poll option available on this site so we can see how the general populace feels about whether IF & C can be distinct from the rest of the toys/swag/dolls/merch/etc. on this site? I've been wanting to add the new Dimensions and Imaginators figures/sets coming out here shortly but have refrained to do so because it feels like a burden to try and comply with the current naming conventions and then go back and do edits whenever it is decided to fix the Interactive Figures categories (I'm not holding my breath at this point  ;)).

tripredacus

« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2016, 10:29:37 am »

Wait... like full on... we catalog lego sets?  Or are you talking about Dimensions LEGO sets. 

It is just the Lego Dimensions, but it still counts. Once you start on one part, there is more incentive to continue on because you can now form a relationship to an existing DB item. I don't like the fact they are here either... having done some work on a Kre-O database, it is a pain.

Flashback2012, the difference in those game categories is that they have been requested. I personally have a ton of things on my backlog to add for those categories. We've had empty categories before, games will get added and they won't be empty anymore.

Having a different set of rules for Lego sets would indicate we are going to treat them special, apart from being toys. Do we want this to turn out that way, then suddenly we have something other than video game related Lego sets in the db?

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2016, 11:08:37 am »

Wait... like full on... we catalog lego sets?  Or are you talking about Dimensions LEGO sets. 
It is just the Lego Dimensions, but it still counts. Once you start on one part, there is more incentive to continue on because you can now form a relationship to an existing DB item. I don't like the fact they are here either... having done some work on a Kre-O database, it is a pain.

Having a different set of rules for Lego sets would indicate we are going to treat them special, apart from being toys. Do we want this to turn out that way, then suddenly we have something other than video game related Lego sets in the db?
I think we shouldn't necessarily treat them the same as toys.

I think we should generate our own standard for interactive figures in general.  A set of standards that should apply fairly neatly to Infinity, LEGO, Amiibo, and Skylanders.  Sure the standard will be very similar to the toy/figure standard, but that's mostly because you only have so much to work with and they are similar.

Flashback2012

« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2016, 02:16:05 pm »
Flashback2012, the difference in those game categories is that they have been requested. I personally have a ton of things on my backlog to add for those categories. We've had empty categories before, games will get added and they won't be empty anymore.

Sorry I'm late in getting back to this. So it sounds like a formality is holding this up. Okay then, I'll copy/paste that info in the Category/Platform Request thread and see what happens.

I had to re-read this a few times to try and get what you were saying. Ignition's response sums up how I'm feeling...

I think we should generate our own standard for interactive figures in general.  A set of standards that should apply fairly neatly to Infinity, LEGO, Amiibo, and Skylanders.  Sure the standard will be very similar to the toy/figure standard, but that's mostly because you only have so much to work with and they are similar.

I don't see why having a slightly separate standard for interactive figures is such a bad thing. I get it flies in the face of the current standard of toy uniformity you're trying to achieve but even then I'd contest your naming conventions on toys is a little counter-intuitive to begin with as I would think the character's name should be the foremost piece of information instead of what series they adhere to. As an example...

http://vgcollect.com/item/82546
Final Fantasy XIII Play Arts Kai Action Figure - Lightning

That seems convulsed to me because just about everything else in this DB lists the name first and foremost and everything else is secondary. I think it'd make better sense if it were:
Lightning - Final Fantasy XIII Play Arts Kai Action Figure

Yeah, you'd have a bajillion listings with Mario first but in that regard I think that figures with any kind of articulation should have their own category instead of being lumped in the toys/novelties with pre-posed or un-poseable toys (another argument for another day I'm sure  ;)).

By doing that, if and when the series specific Interactive Figure Categories ever do get added, there would be better uniformity with the rest of the toys. For example:

Bowser - Super Smash Bros. Collection (No. 20)(EU)
Bowser - Super Smash Bros. Collection (US)
Koopa - Super Smash Bros. (JPN)
Tom Nook - Animal Crossing (US)

Drill Sargeant (Clear Red) - Skylanders Spyro's Adventure
Mega Ram Spyro - Skylanders Swap Force
Nightmare Express Adventure Pack - Skylanders Trap Team

Groot - Disney Infinity 2.0
Lone Ranger (Crystal) - Disney Infinity (Toys R Us Exclusive)
Yoda (LightFX) - Disney Infinity 3.0 (Target Exclusive)

The only tricky one I think would be LEGO Dimensions. Perhaps something like this?

DC Comics (Superman) - Fun Pack (71236)
Ghostbusters - Story Pack (71242)
Midway Arcade - Level Pack (71235)
Simpsons, The (Krusty) - Fun Pack (71227)

Though I'm somewhat partial to it being...

Krusty / Clown Bike (The Simpsons) - Fun Pack (71227)
Superman / Hover Pod (DC Comics) - Fun Pack (71236)

I do realize this creates a situation with gaming related LEGO sets people might want to add such as the MineCraft sets. I looked up a couple to see such as...

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minecraft-21116-Crafting-Box/dp/B00MJYDHHS/ref=sr_1_5?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1474998749&sr=1-5&keywords=lego+minecraft
https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Minecraft-Nether-Fortress-Building/dp/B00WHY9I1O/ref=sr_1_12?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1474998771&sr=1-12&keywords=lego+minecraft

Perhaps it could be done this way...

Crafting Box - LEGO MineCraft (21116)
Nether Fortress, The - LEGO MineCraft (21122)

What does everyone else think?