Author Topic: What is The Rarest Game You Own?  (Read 7749 times)

tripredacus

Re: What is The Rarest Game You Own?
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2016, 12:14:44 pm »
I personally do not consider PDS or Earthbound to be rare. It is fine if either of those is the rarest game someone has.

As an example, searching Ebay (US)
earthbound snes -import = 260 results
panzer dragoon saga saturn -import = 22 results

compare to say...
mvp baseball 2005 pc = 1 result

There certainly was a time when Earthbound and PDS were rare games. Those days are long gone. PDS wins the rarity prize in the US due to the percentage of Saturn vs SNES sales. With the advent of the internet, these titles are merely uncommon. They retain their high price not because they are rare, but because they were once rare.

tpugmire

« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2016, 04:31:54 pm »
In Earthbound's case, it wasn't ever really rare. I mean it did have a smaller print run compared to a lot of other games, but I think the main problem was that nobody bought it.  When I bought my copy on clearance way back in the day, there were piles of them that nobody wanted. I should have bought them all...
This message was brought to you by Tootsie Rolls, the official candy of vgcollect.com

« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2016, 10:33:38 pm »
Crisis Force
Doki Doki Panic
Wrecking Crew '98
GameCube Demo Disc Version 12
Pac-Man Vs. (JPN Club Nintendo)
Konami Krazy Racers
Tingle's Balloon Fight DS

Char's Customized GameCube
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 12:24:06 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2016, 08:15:02 am »
My two "rarest" games I own (I know the games aren't that rare, but these promo editions are):

Rule of Rose Promo version

The Misadventures of Tron Bonne Promo version (these promos were limited to Europe only):

sworddude

« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2016, 12:10:06 pm »
don't collect rare game unless they are any good

I think my rarest are since they are actually not easy to find and not always available like other games such as panzer dragoon saga.

All Pal european versions

ghosts n goblins gameboy color cib pal
megaman xtreme gameboy color cib pal

covert command ps2 ukv
shin megami tensei devil summoner 1 ukv pal factory sealed
tengai ukv factory sealed

yoshi's island guide combo pack UK exclusive SNES

just to name a few that I can remember owning

Not super rare but they are definitely not always available
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 07:31:19 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shepard11

« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2016, 12:39:16 pm »
my rarest games are probably my Megaman 2 thru 5 still in box with book and my Ducktales 2 CIB. I got those for X-mas every year when I was a kid. We were poor and we brought up to always take care of everyone I got. Probably my original 2600 still works to this day.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2016, 01:09:08 pm by shepard11 »

« Reply #51 on: August 28, 2016, 09:48:17 am »
I don't have anything that is actually too rare.  I think my hardest to find is probably Mega Man X2.  A few more uncommon things, Cave Story 3D with the slip cover, Fire Emblem Fates Collector's Edition.  My Marvel vs. Capcom 3 is sealed and autographed by the voice cast.  Complete in Box Super Star Wars Trilogy.  Cool stuff, but nothing really rare.

If we were to look at groups of things:

I have full Virtual Boy set, except for Super Jack Bros.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2016, 09:52:22 am by Cartagia »

Warmsignal

« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2016, 10:20:50 pm »
It's a difficult question to answer. I suppose the best way to find out would be to find the game in your VG Collect that has the smallest amount of "in collection" statuses on the site. Of course, that wouldn't really work for modern as it takes time for newer games to be collected.

The rarest game I have is probably some obscure game that no one has ever heard of. Sought after is a bit different than rare. Rare is when there are so few, that not many people actually have one, and of course sought after being when a game is coveted by virtually everyone but there isn't an abundance of them floating around.

« Reply #53 on: August 28, 2016, 11:04:05 pm »
Found 3 copies of Class of Heroes 2G today being sold at MSRP. I bought all of them and come to find there are variants to this game which is already really rare. Two are B-variants and one is a C. I'm trading one of the B-variants, but I'm not sure what to do about keeping one of each variant or just keeping one.

Just thought I'd post this since Class of Heroes 2G is considered one of the rarest PS3 games.

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #54 on: August 29, 2016, 09:20:45 pm »
I don't know if this has anything to do with rarity, but I seem to be the only person on this site with the PC game Voyeur in my collection. Seriously, if you go to the game's entry page, it lists it in only 1 collection - mine. It doesn't seem to be worth much, though, so it can't be too rare. I guess there's just not many people who bought this crap game :p

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2016, 08:22:06 am »
TBF, I don't believe items show up as in someone's collection if they mark their collection as private.  So you can't really trust those numbers.

sworddude

« Reply #56 on: August 30, 2016, 09:24:21 am »
TBF, I don't believe items show up as in someone's collection if they mark their collection as private.  So you can't really trust those numbers.

I've seen items in private collections

The numbers are actually correct since the name does appear but when clicked on it you cannot enter their collection

http://vgcollect.com/item/45511

Take shinobi x for example magelock has shinobi x but also a private collection when clicked on it.

I've seen it on some of the more rare items wich I have. I've seen it plenty of times however if one person has say 100 copies of a game from only one person it counts as only 1 unless you click on it to see how many copies there actuall are.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

tripredacus

« Reply #57 on: August 30, 2016, 09:55:33 am »
I don't know if this has anything to do with rarity, but I seem to be the only person on this site with the PC game Voyeur in my collection.

It isn't. PC game collectors appear to be in small number. Also considering the amount of variations present, it is not suprising to have 1 or few members having a PC game in their collection. PC games fall into the "uncommon to find for sale, unknown value attached" category I mentioned earlier.

« Reply #58 on: August 30, 2016, 10:41:06 am »
I don't know if this has anything to do with rarity, but I seem to be the only person on this site with the PC game Voyeur in my collection. Seriously, if you go to the game's entry page, it lists it in only 1 collection - mine. It doesn't seem to be worth much, though, so it can't be too rare. I guess there's just not many people who bought this crap game :p
I have Voyeur in my PC collection but have yet to finish adding all of my PC games, barely started on them tbh. Hard to add PC games as well since there are so many variations, some games came as 3.5, 5.25 and/or cd-rom which can make it somewhat annoying to track a big box pc collection. I think I've not yet added 10 games so far and almost all of them I had to add to the db since my variant wasn't yet added.

www.gamelust.com Looking for help with data entry and creating content(news/reviews).

necrosexual

« Reply #59 on: September 06, 2016, 02:53:41 am »
Reportedly 450 were ever made and for NA only. They were only won through various contests held by Sony or other 3rd party.

huh? no way. i have this too... i bought it MONTHS after release... saw it at gamestop and just picked it up on massive discount.. i wouldn't be able to tell you the cost now, but i think it was $80 after discounts. there's no way only 450 were made, of a series that sells WAY more than hyperdimension neptunia, yet the limit-1000 limited edition of HDN re;birth 1 sold out in less than one minute... i don't know who ever told you that there was only 450... but they're absolutely ridiculous. unless you just mean the 'not for resale' serial... but otherwise, i see NO difference between that one and the one sold through GS. i could even take a pic of the helghast helmet and sniper figurine if you wanted to verify... granted, my sniper has, ahem, smoke damage.

speaking of that HDN:

i own this bad boy. i use the case and phone strap. no regrets.

other than that i don't think many of my games are too rare that i know of... maybe super mario RPG on SNES? i got that one from my parents for c hristmas one year.
and maybe darksiders 2 limited edition (PS3)... with the comic book intact? and the paper sleeve?
the world ends with you... CIB?
??

i don't know if anything else is rare.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 02:59:34 am by necrosexual »

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.