Author Topic: Gotta Go Fast: A Sonic Retrospective?  (Read 2173 times)

Gotta Go Fast: A Sonic Retrospective?
« on: August 24, 2015, 07:03:38 am »
Anyone interested in maybe kinda doing a look back into the Sonic series over the years? Starting with the first one and basically hitting most of what could be considered main series releases up till now?  Not sure if I'm gonna consider doing everything with a full playthrough or not, there's some real nasty games in there, but maybe at least a good couple hours out of them at least.  Kinda like the 52 games thread over in General, you either playthrough the game or put some time in and just give kinda your thoughts on it, what you liked and didn't, throw in some nostalgic memories if you got them.  Just sorta gets everyone looking and playing at the same time and sharing experiences.

-Sonic 1
-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic CD
-Sonic Adventure
-Sonic Adventure 2
-Sonic '06
-Sonic & The Secret Rings
-Sonic Unleashed
-Sonic & The Black Knight
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4
-Sonic Colors
-Sonic Lost World
-Sonic Boom

I'm sure a few others could fit into there and I'd avoid the handheld ones.  Side games could be done for the heck of it too as I wouldn't mind checking out some of the PS2 ones other than Shadow.  Think I remember playing Sonic Riders.  I'm no reviewer or lets player, though this could make for an interesting start for a video series, but I think it would be just sorta fun as a look back at the Hedgehog over the years.  I haven't played much of any of them in a very long time and there are many I never played such as the Wii ones and the Adventure series.  Maybe it's been a long time for everyone else or maybe you've just been needing an excuse to dive into certain Sonic games lol

I would have to play a lot of them on PC though.  Steam has most of the main games other than anything Nintendo related, so that is easy enough for like the Adventure and Sonic CD games.  Man, 25 bucks for Sonic 4 though.  I heard that isn't very good lol
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 07:07:32 am by kamikazekeeg »

jsoup

Re: Gotta Go Fast: A Sonic Retrospective?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2015, 06:46:13 am »
I'm sure a few others could fit into there and I'd avoid the handheld ones.

Which is too bad, as many of them are pretty good. Sonic Labyrinth is an underrated classic.

dreama1

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2015, 07:07:15 am »
Anyone interested in maybe kinda doing a look back into the Sonic series over the years? Starting with the first one and basically hitting most of what could be considered main series releases up till now?  Not sure if I'm gonna consider doing everything with a full playthrough or not, there's some real nasty games in there, but maybe at least a good couple hours out of them at least.  Kinda like the 52 games thread over in General, you either playthrough the game or put some time in and just give kinda your thoughts on it, what you liked and didn't, throw in some nostalgic memories if you got them.  Just sorta gets everyone looking and playing at the same time and sharing experiences.

-Sonic 1
-Sonic 2
-Sonic 3
-Sonic & Knuckles
-Sonic CD
-Sonic Adventure
-Sonic Adventure 2
-Sonic '06
-Sonic & The Secret Rings
-Sonic Unleashed
-Sonic & The Black Knight
-Sonic the Hedgehog 4
-Sonic Colors
-Sonic Lost World
-Sonic Boom

I'm sure a few others could fit into there and I'd avoid the handheld ones.  Side games could be done for the heck of it too as I wouldn't mind checking out some of the PS2 ones other than Shadow.  Think I remember playing Sonic Riders.  I'm no reviewer or lets player, though this could make for an interesting start for a video series, but I think it would be just sorta fun as a look back at the Hedgehog over the years.  I haven't played much of any of them in a very long time and there are many I never played such as the Wii ones and the Adventure series.  Maybe it's been a long time for everyone else or maybe you've just been needing an excuse to dive into certain Sonic games lol

I would have to play a lot of them on PC though.  Steam has most of the main games other than anything Nintendo related, so that is easy enough for like the Adventure and Sonic CD games.  Man, 25 bucks for Sonic 4 though.  I heard that isn't very good lol
You're missing the master system games, plus sonic 3d blast.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 07:39:25 am »
As a Sonic fan I like the idea of capturing and sharing Sonic themed gameplay, I'd like to do some when my game room will be ready, should be mid-2016.

I would add Sonic Generations to the lit as it's a really great Sonic game!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

telly

« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:46:18 am »
I've never played a single Sonic game :( I was wondering about Sonic Heroes? Is that not considered a true Sonic game?
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

maximo310

« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 02:26:57 pm »
I've never played a single Sonic game :( I was wondering about Sonic Heroes? Is that not considered a true Sonic game?
Yeah its a mainline sonic game. There's a lot of people that don't like this game, because of bad level design, and padding of game length with the four different teams. I'm not a fan of the system either.

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 03:06:01 pm »
IF someone were to do a video I could definitely speak as I am a huge sonic fanboy.

« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:12:39 pm »
too bad, as many of them are pretty good. Sonic Labyrinth is an underrated classic.

I'm sure it might be, but I feel like I want to mostly just focus on the console releases more as the handheld ones add a ton to the list.  Might not be a bad idea to consider adding a couple popular ones though.

That's true, but I thought the Genesis ones were basically just better versions of the ones on the Master System? Plus most people just consider the Genesis games as kinda where Sonic really kicked things off anyways.  I always forget the Master System exists lol  And I figured 3D Blast was kinda just one of their odd games rather than what might be consider mainline Sonic, but it wouldn't hurt to include I'm sure.

As a Sonic fan I like the idea of capturing and sharing Sonic themed gameplay, I'd like to do some when my game room will be ready, should be mid-2016.

I thought about doing Generations also, and it's probably a good one to add since it is one of the better modern Sonic games, just wasn't sure if I should add it or not since it is based around throwbacks to the past games.

I had never played Sonic Heroes myself, if it's considered one, I'll probably toss it in.  I know it's another one that isn't well liked, which is far too common in Sonic lol

I'm gonna see about getting some more of these games in physical versions and figure out if I want to try and do this in text or video form.  I've been kinda trying to look at doing something video related for awhile and this would make for an interesting series.  I just need to grab one or two of the other collections they have, pick up the ones that are affordable, and look at getting a capture device.

dreama1

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 06:22:44 pm »
too bad, as many of them are pretty good. Sonic Labyrinth is an underrated classic.

I'm sure it might be, but I feel like I want to mostly just focus on the console releases more as the handheld ones add a ton to the list.  Might not be a bad idea to consider adding a couple popular ones though.

That's true, but I thought the Genesis ones were basically just better versions of the ones on the Master System? Plus most people just consider the Genesis games as kinda where Sonic really kicked things off anyways.  I always forget the Master System exists lol  And I figured 3D Blast was kinda just one of their odd games rather than what might be consider mainline Sonic, but it wouldn't hurt to include I'm sure.

I thought about doing Generations also, and it's probably a good one to add since it is one of the better modern Sonic games, just wasn't sure if I should add it or not since it is based around throwbacks to the past games.

I had never played Sonic Heroes myself, if it's considered one, I'll probably toss it in.  I know it's another one that isn't well liked, which is far too common in Sonic lol

I'm gonna see about getting some more of these games in physical versions and figure out if I want to try and do this in text or video form.  I've been kinda trying to look at doing something video related for awhile and this would make for an interesting series.  I just need to grab one or two of the other collections they have, pick up the ones that are affordable, and look at getting a capture device.
You just popped a vain.  Nah dude play the master system games! They're both original titles totally different than the genesis version. sonic, sonic 2, sonic chaos, and sonic 3d blast. All 4 are exclusive games. I prefer the sms games to the genesis games.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 06:25:54 pm by dreama1 »

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 09:58:43 pm »
You just popped a vain.  Nah dude play the master system games! They're both original titles totally different than the genesis version. sonic, sonic 2, sonic chaos, and sonic 3d blast. All 4 are exclusive games. I prefer the sms games to the genesis games.

From what I've seen of the originals, I'd prefer the Genesis ones, but I'll see about taking a look at them.  They apparently were ported to the Game Gear and those got put into the Sonic Mega Collection Plus, which would be good way to play them.

stlgamer75

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2016, 11:34:52 pm »
Late to this Sonic thread.....been replaying my Genesis Sonic's as part of my console of the month retrospective focus for my blog (highlighted in my signature below). Sonic 1-3 are just so good, platforming gameplay is phenomenal in my opinion and since they haven't jacked up in price like Mario games for NES/SNES/N64, these can all be had on the cheap. I would encourage anyone to drop $40-50 and buy a Genesis, Sonic 1, 2 and maybe 3 and have a blast. Not a 3D Blast though, because that game's not very good.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2016, 02:20:25 am »
Forgot about this as I kinda got sidetracked by other stuff at the time lol I did recently try and play some Sonic stuff since I got a bunch super cheap on a Humble Bundle, but Sonic Adventure DX is just...oof...that's a thing I'd like to never try again, and I couldn't get Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode 1 to work right.

Plan to try Sonic CD soon perhaps.  Gonna try and get a few more of the older ones done before Sonic Mania next year.

turom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2016, 04:04:19 am »
Oh nice reminder! Now I got proper capture setup I should be able to do some playthroughs of the Genesis ones.

Here's an example of capture I did (force 720p60 for best quality):

I'll see if I can do a Sonic 1 run soon!
BLOG - PSN - IMGUR - YOUTUBE

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2016, 05:53:19 am »
Just realized I own most of the Genesis Sonic's on the Sega Classics player on Steam.  Totally forgot I got all of those games super cheap on a steam sale.  Might take this weekend to see if I can't burn through them.