Author Topic: Games you wanted to like, but just could not get into  (Read 5534 times)

shfan

Re: Games you wanted to like, but just could not get into
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2016, 07:02:50 am »
Dragon's Crown.

On paper it was my perfect game, 2D beat em ups like streets of rage are some of my all time favourite games, and I love anything with light RPG mechanics (provided they're not so light they're irrelevant). Manga-style hotties? Check. Result.. headache.

It just didn't work on any level for me. The levels seemed small and mostly devoid of enemies until you reach the bosses (which bored me), sections like the magic carpet ride over the lava bored me witless, then it was all over and you had to trog through town again to repair your weapons and just to get back to the action. So little time was actually spent hitting baddies! Then there's the repetition in revisiting the limited number of levels to grind. Ugh!

A lot of people seem to think highly of the game, but to me it's so fundamentally badly designed it's unplayable. Wish it was different.

retrogemcollector

« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2016, 08:04:58 am »
Anything ZELDA related. I just can't bring myself playing any of them, yet I have pretty decent Zelda collection. The games are not appealing at all to me. I should probably sell them and get better games, but I can't…go figure.

« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2016, 08:13:23 am »
I'm having a tough time thinking about this one.

Dead Island I really wanted to like, same with Dying Light, but I just couldn't dig them.

I loved Borderlands, and Borderlands 2 was ok or slightly better, can't recall.  I really couldn't get into Pre-sequel.

Ratchet and Clank, I really wanted to like this game, and I forced myself to play through the majority of the first game, but it felt like pulling teeth.

The Crew, I really like racing games, especially street racing games, and a game that lets you street race across the nation seamlessly sounds awesome.  I just really couldn't stand this game, played it for about 5 minutes and then returned it to Gamestop.

And finally... most of Nintendo's new 2.5D side scrolling games.  Yoshi Woolly World, New Super Mario Anything, etc.  I just can't keep my attention on these games, they aren't bad, but I just can't get into them.

kashell

« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2016, 09:39:51 am »
Final Fantasy X is the first one that comes to mind. A lot of people I know regard it as their favorite in the series. Like, they enjoy it more than both FFVI and FFVII. I just can't get into it. All of the characters (except Yuna and Lulu) are annoying as hell. The combat is basic. I can't stand the Sphere Grid system even though it looks like it would allow for a plethora of customization. Plus, the mini-games and side-quests are tedious. I have tried to restart this game over and over and always quit after a certain point. I would love to see the story unfold, but nearly everything about the game just aggravates me.

Another game is Dark Souls III. The first Dark Souls was perfection, so I figured with the acquisition of my new Xbone I could try Dark Souls III. After the initial events, I lacked the energy to go back to it and sold the copy. I'm sure I'll replay it, but not anytime soon.

One more that comes to mind is Killer 7. This is the perfect example of a good movie trapped in a bad game. The controls are just so awful, but I thought that I could get past them since the story, art style, and setting were so unique. Nope, I couldn't do it.

telly

« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2016, 10:07:35 am »
Final Fantasy X is the first one that comes to mind. A lot of people I know regard it as their favorite in the series. Like, they enjoy it more than both FFVI and FFVII. I just can't get into it. All of the characters (except Yuna and Lulu) are annoying as hell. The combat is basic. I can't stand the Sphere Grid system even though it looks like it would allow for a plethora of customization. Plus, the mini-games and side-quests are tedious. I have tried to restart this game over and over and always quit after a certain point. I would love to see the story unfold, but nearly everything about the game just aggravates me.

How did you feel about the upgrade system in FFXIII? I feel like it's essentially the same thing as in FFX but more restrictive.

EDIT: I mean character upgrades. The weapon upgrades are obviously more advanced in FFXIII
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 10:14:36 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
3D Dot Game Heroes (PS3) Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

kashell

« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2016, 10:17:36 am »

How do you feel about the upgrade system in FFXIII? I feel like it's essentially the same thing as in FFX but more restrictive.

I actually really liked the Crystarium. I can definitely see where one would say it's the same as the Sphere Grid because you take the points earned from battle and use them to upgrade your characters HP, attack, magic, learn new spells, etc. The difference is that the Crystarium kind of doubles as job tree. Each job (Synergist, Saboteur, Commando, Ravager, Medic and Sentinel) have their own set of nodes to upgrade. For most of the quest, your characters are able to swap between these jobs which gives the battles much more variety. After you finish the game once, all characters have access to all jobs.

telly

« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2016, 10:21:10 am »
That's true. Though once you progress in FFX you get teleport spheres and key spheres so you can transfer to any other person's location in the sphere grid. So when you're done with Tidus's track you can transfer over to Yuna's track to learn white magic if you want. I think in FFX it's just not explicit about the different roles.
Currently Playing:

kashell

« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2016, 10:36:05 am »
That's cool. I know that in the International Version, everyone starts in the same area so you can customize your characters the way you want. Of course, that also means that you could potentially mess up your characters.

telly

« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2016, 10:43:03 am »
That's cool. I know that in the International Version, everyone starts in the same area so you can customize your characters the way you want. Of course, that also means that you could potentially mess up your characters.

Yeah, in FFX International you can choose the option to have no locks or restrictions on the grid so you can literally go wherever you want. At least in FFX you can move through the grid without adding stats you don't need. You move with AP/S. levels but actually activate an ability/stat with the spheres.

But in general the Japanese and European PS2 versions have a more open Sphere Grid than the NA version. The HD remasters are of the international releases though.
Currently Playing:

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2016, 10:46:51 am »
The Metroid Prime games come to mind.  I love Super Metroid.  I love the OG Metroid.  The Prime games just aren't for me. 

The new Legend of Zelda games (Link Between Worlds not included).  I just can't play them.  I love the first 4.  I didn't like Majora's Mask.  Wind Waker was amazing to me.  Twilight Princess and Skyward Sword just didn't do it for me.  I think it was because I had to move the controller. 

kashell

« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2016, 11:06:36 am »

Yeah, in FFX International you can choose the option to have no locks or restrictions on the grid so you can literally go wherever you want. At least in FFX you can move through the grid without adding stats you don't need. You move with AP/S. levels but actually activate an ability/stat with the spheres.

But in general the Japanese and European PS2 versions have a more open Sphere Grid than the NA version. The HD remasters are of the international releases though.

I have the Vita version of the HD Remaster. Do you recommend going with the more opened up Sphere Grid if I do go back and play it?

telly

« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2016, 11:34:43 am »

I have the Vita version of the HD Remaster. Do you recommend going with the more opened up Sphere Grid if I do go back and play it?

I've only played the PS2 version, but if you really enjoyed the upgrade system in FFXIII it might be better to stick to the Standard grid rather than the Expert.

I know you don't like FFX and you've tried multiple times, but if you do replay it again I'd love to hear what you think. I'm in the "love FFX" group and honestly think Tidus is the best protagonist in any of the FF games (voice acting issues aside). He's annoying and whiny on purpose so you can relate to his "fish out of water" character traits. Seeing him mature and become engrossed in the new world he is thrust into and forced to deal with over the course of the game; it's really really nice character development.
Currently Playing:

necrosexual

« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2016, 03:59:57 pm »

Recently for me, I found Xenoblade Chronicles X to be something I eventually abandoned.  I still made it like 40 hours in (This is apparently peak tolerance level for me on some games lol) and got over half way, but it's not a very fun RPG.  Battles are a mess of numbers and spamming attacks, which feels very MMO-like, but it lacks the co-op and focus of an MMO.  You got all these classes you can level, but don't play super different really, and then you get the Skell and it just makes all that class grinding pointless, because there's no reason to ever not utilize the super awesome mech suit.

i fear this is going to happen to me, too, so i've not even started. i DREAD that this is going to be the case.
i'll ponder the topic tho. i can't think of any off the top other than assassin's creed... i like the concept, but the games are so dreadfully boring to me.

if i'm an NPC, i want to be the secret boss in a low tier niche JRPG.

« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2016, 04:28:10 pm »
Star Wars Battlefront 2. Everyone praised it like it was the best thing ever but I thought it was so boring, plus it was hard to figure out what to even do lmao.

robertoman

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2016, 04:48:36 pm »
The Legend Of Zelda: there has been countless times in which I tried to get into this game but every time I do I just cannot get into it. I've come to the conclusion that this game isn't for me