Author Topic: What is your least favorite controller?  (Read 6737 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What is your least favorite controller?
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2016, 01:45:34 pm »
So much hate for the gamecube controller.

In my opinion one of the better if not the best controller ever made.

D pad wise sure but for all the other stuff I heavily disagree.

I don't hate the controller like I do the N64 controller. But I can definitely see where improvements are needed. The D-Pad is terrible. Which really sucks when using it for the Game Boy Player, or 2D games. And the triggers at the top of the controller push in way too deep. It would be a lot easier if you could just tap them. Plus, what's with the weird shaped action buttons?

« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2016, 04:43:35 pm »
Plus, what's with the weird shaped action buttons?

What they went for is the idea of having primary, secondary, and tertiary buttons for the controls rather than having 4 equal face buttons. So, your thumb will naturally be resting over the button you use the most (A), leaving just a small rotation needed to press the the other buttons rather than completely moving your thumb. It's actually a pretty comfortable setup when you play a game that understands the controller's philosophy (but those that don't want you to do crap like pressing B and X at the same time).

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2016, 05:11:36 pm »

I don't hate the controller like I do the N64 controller. But I can definitely see where improvements are needed. The D-Pad is terrible. Which really sucks when using it for the Game Boy Player, or 2D games. And the triggers at the top of the controller push in way too deep. It would be a lot easier if you could just tap them. Plus, what's with the weird shaped action buttons?

To be honest for the gameboy player you have special hori controllers or you could even use a GBA console as an controller instead.

The gameboy player is an add on, the gamecube controller was never meant to be used for gameboy games, also in the regular games the D pad is barely used just sometimes for gimmicks.

The gamecube is a 3D console after all, the games that I own are all 3D games except for capcom vs snk only 1 of very few games, the controller is made for 3D games wich it is perfect for, there are barely any good classic 2D games on the gamecube.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2016, 05:19:07 pm »

To be honest for the gameboy player you have special hori controllers or you could even use a GBA console as an controller instead.

The gameboy player is an add on, the gamecube controller was never meant to be used for gameboy games, also in the regular games the D pad is barely used just sometimes for gimmicks.

The gamecube is a 3D console after all, the games that I own are all 3D games except for capcom vs snk only 1 of very few games, the controller is made for 3D games wich it is perfect for, there are barely any good classic 2D games on the gamecube.

Yeah, but the controller still sucks.

sworddude

« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2016, 05:46:33 pm »

If you say so

I agree with the D pad but for the rest IMO it is one of the better controllers with a superior analog stick, and excellent button lay out.

For the classic 2D games I agree but there are barely any classic 2D games on the gamecube, the better games are 3D games wich the controller is made for.

And Excellent 2D games like smash bros work perfectly with this controller.

pizzasafari

« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2016, 08:32:36 pm »
I can't stand the Dreamcast controller. I don't know what species that thing is ergonomically designed for but it isn't people. And that thumbstick is death itself. And the VMU beep on startup... and the VMUs in general... the triggers are too low... the bumps on the buttons hurt... the D-pad is horrible... goddammit. And the thumbstick counts twice. I feel actual pain when I try and use it for extended periods. Plus it rolls around on my thumb and keeps slipping away when I'm trying to run in game. The VMU beeps count twice too.

The Wiimote/nunchuk combo I also don't like because I'm a lefty and it isn't made for lefties. Wiimote in left hand doesn't match up with the screen a lot of the time, Wiimote in right hand is disorienting for me. Nunchuk in left hand means Wiimote in right hand which I can't do, nunchuk in right hand feels wrong because left hand is the movement stick hand. And that brick of a classic controller can go to hell.

kashell

« Reply #36 on: October 07, 2016, 08:34:42 am »
For the classic 2D games I agree but there are barely any classic 2D games on the gamecube, the better games are 3D games wich the controller is made for.

Soul Calibur II on the Game Cube was a nightmare (no pun intended) because of the controller.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:45:50 pm by kashell »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 07, 2016, 12:40:31 pm »

If you say so

I agree with the D pad but for the rest IMO it is one of the better controllers with a superior analog stick, and excellent button lay out.

...off the top of my head:

-Capcom vs. SNK 2
-Intellivision Lives
-Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
-Mega Man Anniversary Collection
-Mega Man X Collection
-Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3
-Namco Museum
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2

And then like I said, the Game Boy Player as well.

Totally valid complaint. D-Pad sucks. Especially valid since Nintendo had fantastic D-Pads on earlier systems.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 12:42:17 pm by burningdoom »

sworddude

« Reply #38 on: October 07, 2016, 03:19:50 pm »

If you say so

...off the top of my head:

-Capcom vs. SNK 2
-Intellivision Lives
-Legend of Zelda: Collector's Edition
-Mega Man Anniversary Collection
-Mega Man X Collection
-Midway Arcade Treasures 1-3
-Namco Museum
-Sonic Mega Collection
-Sonic Gems Collection
-Super Smash Bros. Melee
-Viewtiful Joe 1 & 2

And then like I said, the Game Boy Player as well.

Totally valid complaint. D-Pad sucks. Especially valid since Nintendo had fantastic D-Pads on earlier systems.

first of all smash bros plays excellent with a gamecube controller there ain't a better controller for that game. ps2 ps1 controllers are trash in comparison.

Second of all old sonic, mega man, zelda old games etc should be played on other consoles to be fair.

The only fair complaint is for capcom vs snk since the other games can be played on the older consoles.

You don't buy a gamecube to play old 2D sonic or mega man games.

An invalid complaint in my opinion since 90% of that list is for old classic games and for smash bros it is the perfect controller.

You forgot to mention ikaruga btw, but to be fair the gamecube controller ain't that bad for that game.

Also like you mentioned: Especially valid since Nintendo had fantastic D-Pads on earlier systems.

Nintendo focused on 2D games in the past but in the gamecube days the main titles are pretty much all 3D games. Older games are meant to be played on the older consoles.

I cannot imagine playing the 3D zelda or mario games with a D pad. They had a superior analog stick on the gamecube controller for the 3D games.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2016, 04:19:26 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2016, 10:09:04 am »
^ Why can't there be both a good thumbstick and a good D-pad? PlayStation seems to do fine with both on their controllers.

sworddude

« Reply #40 on: October 08, 2016, 10:20:03 am »
^ Why can't there be both a good thumbstick and a good D-pad? PlayStation seems to do fine with both on their controllers.

I agree that the D pad is miles better but for 2D fighting games the controller is still trash the ps1 and ps2 controllers.

As far as the analog stick goes it's allot worse than the gamecube and even the wii one.

But again the D pad on the Gamecube controller was more for gimmicks just some extra buttons, there is a reason why it had an not to important spot on the controller and being really small.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2016, 11:13:01 am by sworddude »

theflea

« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2016, 02:45:45 am »
The Atari 5200 controller tops my list.
Finding one that works is next to impossible.
"Happy game hunting!!!"

mrnikon

« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2016, 10:21:48 am »
I would go with the Atari 5200's controller also!

stlgamer75

« Reply #43 on: October 15, 2016, 10:00:30 am »
Either the Atari 5200 or N64. 5200 for the squishy controls and N64 for the layout and feel in my hand.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

nellen

« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 12:02:50 am »
Jaguar is pretty bad