Author Topic: Gamecube Controller Directional Stick Repair  (Read 1252 times)

Gamecube Controller Directional Stick Repair
« on: November 11, 2016, 07:39:26 pm »
I have a Wavebird controller that has a very worn left directional stick cover. I figure I can either repair it myself or enlist the services of someone else to repair (and clean) it. But I've never done either of those things before, so here are my questions. If I were to repair it myself, do any of you have any recommendations about which (if any) aftermarket replacement sticks I should use? And if I were to pay someone else to do it, do you have any recommendations for who to ask?

I write for a video game/movie/book review blog that can be found here

telly

Re: Gamecube Controller Directional Stick Repair
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2016, 07:50:43 pm »
I replaced the control sticks in two of my four GameCube controllers with a some replacements I bought online. They work just fine, but are more of a hard plastic rather than the rubbery ones on the actual controller. I'm not sure where the best place is to find the most authentic covers that play like the real thing; I was just looking for something cheap and didn't mind the difference.

Personally I would say do it yourself though. It's pretty easy to take apart the controller and swap out the stick caps. Just make sure you have a tri-wing screwdriver!
Currently Playing:
Super Paper Mario (Wii), Super Mario Bros. 3 (Wii U)

My music collection | My Backloggery

Re: Gamecube Controller Directional Stick Repair
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2016, 08:16:21 pm »
If you're replacing just the cap its very easy. Once you've taken the PCB out of the case its just a matter of popping off the cap and placing a new one on.

If your talking about replacing the analog stick module (sometimes called a pot), that requires basic soldering skills. There are four legs for the housing and six smaller ones for the actual analog control. Its just a simple matter of either buying a replacement pot or getting one off a donor controller. I've even gotten away with switching the C-stick over to the main! ;D Apparently it's also possible to use Wii nunchuck sticks too, but I've never looked into that. When looking online make sure the seller states that it works with Gamecube, because newer modules used in Wii U or XBox 360 are physically too large.
Assuming you already have soldering equipment they're fairly cheap to replace; 3-5 dollars each.

Here are some sites that sell replacement sticks. I can recommend the first link as I've bought some from this site before. Inquire about bulk orders for potential discounts.
http://www.gaminggenerations.com/store/gamecubewavebirdwii-classic-controller-nunchuck-thumbstick-p-3574.html
http://www.modchip.it/shop/detail.asp?lng=IT&sku=16322
http://www.nesrepairshop.com/Catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=70_88&products_id=1059&zenid=48tnjd63df2t0ilgv23mnkr2v1
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:26:37 pm by badATchaos »