Author Topic: Non-legit cover on Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games...?  (Read 1112 times)

booton

Hey guys. Do any of you own Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games for the Nintendo 3DS? I recently purchased one and noticed that the cover art seems to be somewhat lower quality than my other games (most noticeable on the spine). All of my other 3DS games are Nintendo published titles so at first I was thinking maybe SEGA printed the cover with a lower quality printer since they published it, but I have no other SEGA games to compare with. I tried to find the game in pictures of other people's collections and came across one where it does look lower quality than the other games, but it's not too clear. Could anybody who owns this game check their copy to confirm?

http://imgur.com/MQQhOFt

On the picture, you can notice the dotted lines on the squares in the 3DS logo and the icon on the spine. Those dotted lines are also faint but noticeable on the lines on the back of the cover. It just overall lacks the smoothness of my other game covers. If this isn't a legit cover, then I need to get a refund on it.

Thanks guys.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 04:52:26 am by booton »

Re: Non-legit cover on Mario & Sonic at the London 2012 Olympic Games...?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 10:47:01 am »
Maybe someone printed the cover themselves with a higher quality printer

rayne315

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 01:50:58 pm »
yeah you get things like this all the time. when your a store that sells used games and you get a game in without a cover its very common for them to print one out. most of the times though they make it so you can instantly tell they are printed. (like adding a store name and border)
PS2 Palooza: 8/2XXX games finished
Now Playing: Dark cloud
Stopped recording so now back on track.

XIII
.Hack//G.U. Vol 1//Rebirth
Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus
Sly 2
.hack//g.u. vol 2
.hack//g.u. vol 3
Katamari Damacy
Bully

desocietas

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:43:08 pm »
yeah you get things like this all the time. when your a store that sells used games and you get a game in without a cover its very common for them to print one out. most of the times though they make it so you can instantly tell they are printed. (like adding a store name and border)

I've been to spots where it's all just black and white printouts for the covers. Easy to tell from the spines that it's a repro cover and to see the color covers immediately. I guess it's good to have them all in boxes at least, but it's so painful for me to see non-CIB games, lol.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

thewelshman

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 03:13:46 pm »

I've been to spots where it's all just black and white printouts for the covers. Easy to tell from the spines that it's a repro cover and to see the color covers immediately. I guess it's good to have them all in boxes at least, but it's so painful for me to see non-CIB games, lol.

I generally avoid buying games that don't have at least the original cover. I bought Dragon Quest IV, V, VI, and IX that all came in as just the game, so I found someone online that prints out quality repro covers that look original. The books will be next. It's what I get for buying used from GameStop, but I really wanted the games.

Warmsignal

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2017, 05:47:10 pm »
Looks like a poor image editing job by Sega's publishing department. Pixelation of an image like that occurs in editing when you resize images of tiny resolution. They probably also used an inferior file format that compressed and degraded some of the standard logos that came with the template.

If it came from China, or it was a super good deal online. It could be a fake. Last I knew, when they faked DS games, the manuals had no contents in them. You could go examine a copy at GS and see how it compares to yours.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 05:56:05 pm by Warmsignal »