Author Topic: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!  (Read 5301 times)

Re: GameStop Now Accepting Retro Trade-Ins at ALL Locations!
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2016, 05:57:17 pm »
I don't like the idea too much, it's just another reseller. The biggest, baddest and meanest of them all. A scalper with decades of experience of milking the gaming community dry on trade ins and used game sales getting into the retro business with the sheer intent to exploit it. A reseller that snaked people so much it became a corporation. They will pay pennies on the dollar for retro games and than flip them for 100 times profit and prices will most likely see a sky rocket. I think resellers are one of the biggest problems in the retro community, people who buy for cheap and flip for tons of profit above retail price to scam true collectors. gamestop is the mother of that.

I think it should be left for true mom and pop stores or collectors. The way it always should have been, not a chain that is simply trying to make a quick buck due to their slow and incoming death. Its so dreamy of a huge retail chain selling retro games with fair prices and huge selection everywhere. but gamestop wont do that. they are gamestop. they will overprice and undercut everyone and the idea will most likely flop because based on their online prices. ebay is much cheaper. they want 25 for super Mario world. 5 dollars more than an already high retail.  :(   15 for Super Mario Bros? 30 for Zelda?   No way.  I hope they don't sucker new collectors and thus drive prices so high.  This is dangerous I think. 

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2016, 07:02:34 pm »
If there is one upside to games going digital it will be that gamestop will die with it

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2016, 08:45:33 pm »
Well at least this isnt being rolled out here in Canada haha. Though i guess if they did it may make it easier to find certain things without importing it from the states online... Local pickups for good prices are essentially dead here. :/

aliensstudios

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2016, 08:58:26 pm »
If there is one upside to games going digital it will be that gamestop will die with it
That's terrible to say but it's true. I know many of us will relish the day GameStop goes the way of Blockbuster
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2016, 09:13:47 pm »
The other problem too is that it seems pretty easy to make bootleg copies and trade them in and dupe others since I'm not sure if the warehouse adequately checks all of the stuff that comes in. There's also no way to check if you're getting a complete package ( especially since no Saturn games came with their cases), which is something that I could at least do by going to a physical stores.
Not to mention their horrible customer service for online orders, it just doesn't seem like it would work very well in practice.

« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2016, 10:46:50 pm »
That's terrible to say but it's true. I know many of us will relish the day GameStop goes the way of Blockbuster

Can we trade Blockbuster for Gamestop? I want video stores to return lol

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2016, 12:46:15 am »
while the stores will take all these old games in, they wont be selling them in store. These will all be shipped to a warehouse and sold online at ebay prices or higher. Not good news for us or Gamestop seeing how I can't see this be successful for them.

kashell

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2016, 08:33:50 am »

I go back and forth when it comes to GameStop. In some ways, I'm thankful for them because I'm able to get new releases without any trouble. I look at my copy of Azure Striker Gunvolt Dual Pack as an example; I was the only one in my area to get a copy because I reserved one. You have to take the time to reserve them, but it's somewhat similar to buying something online via Amazon.

But, there are things I can't stand about the store. They range from little things like those terrible, circle stickers that leave tons of residue to the people behind the counter. I'm sure that the cashiers probably dislike trying to sell game "insurance" or ask about preordering.

This announcement doesn't really effect me, though. There's no way in hell I'd buy or sell an older game from GS.

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2016, 08:46:20 am »
I skipped through most of the comments, sorry.

Sometimes Gamestop can have really good trade values, it just depends on what you are trading.  I've done it, and a bunch of my buddies have done it, where you can trade in loose disc games and get just about what they sell for.  I think I traded in Skyward Sword for Wii a year or so back and got at least $40 for it.  I know I traded in a loose copy of Sims 3 for Wii for $10 within the past year.

Now back to the main topic.  I had a conversation with an SGA a couple of days ago about this, because I thought all stores were accepting trade-ins already.  They were previously only accepting certain trade-ins.  Now they are accepting ALL trade-ins.  Which I think might turn into the getting 25 cents for certain games, but the pokemons and marios will still get moderately good value.  I wanna say when it started Super Mario World was paying out higher than it was worth.

Anyway, one of my local stores has been accepting all trade ins for quite some time, and they had approval to sell retro titles in store.  I can even take a picture next time I go in if you really want proof.  Anything questionable looking, they still send off to corporate for refurbishing and such, but CIB games or cartridge games in good shape, they stay in store.  Their inventory hasn't changed in the past few weeks, which could just be all the good stuff getting snatched quickly, but they've had Goldeneye, Starfox 64, a handful of GBA games, a couple of Genesis games, a couple of Xbox games, and Wind Waker for GCN. 

Most stores system doesn't have a way of printing out stickers with proper prices for retro games, which is why they can't and won't sell them.  But some stores have the proper prices in their system, so when they print out stickers, they CAN sell them in store.

On that same note, I frequently buy retro games from Gamestop, I rarely KEEP the games, given that most folks will trade in loose discs and buying online is total miss or miss, with the ever so infrequent hit.  I bought a stack of $20-30 Xbox titles on Gamestop for about $5 a piece, if any came complete, grand, and come loose, oh well it just gets returned.  I got my box last night, 1 loose disc, 4 in case no manual.  *shrug*  Of course, I also ordered a BRAND NEW game off the website, because I didn't want to go find a store that had it and wind up with a gutted copy... so they had a store mail me their gutted copy.  Kind of pissed about that.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2016, 08:50:34 am by ignition365 »

aliensstudios

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2016, 09:07:38 pm »

Same. I loved Blockbuster and just wish there was something still like it for nostalgia's sake.
Game Stop can stay or go, I could care less.
"I collect vidya games and vidya game accessories, I tell you what."

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2016, 09:23:08 pm »

Same. I loved Blockbuster and just wish there was something still like it for nostalgia's sake.

Agreed. But I miss the mom & pop video stores even more. You could find all kinds of treasures in those places. Blockbusters were all mostly the same.

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2016, 11:13:54 pm »

Agreed. But I miss the mom & pop video stores even more. You could find all kinds of treasures in those places. Blockbusters were all mostly the same.

I lived in a town with only one, so it might as well have been mom & pop practically, though we had a few local videostores, though only one proper lasted for a good while into the mid 2000's.  I worked in the small Blockbuster back in early 2000 during high school.  Good time working there.  I just miss browsing through because most were all there, none of the exclusivity deals and timed deals that streaming sites have.  You wonder if Netflix has that movie you want to watch on a spur of the moment? Probably not, they've been dropping the amount of movies they keep around.

Warmsignal

« Reply #27 on: October 27, 2016, 11:40:01 pm »
Ahh, the inevitable GS hate. I always look at like this, if you don't like their trade in values, don't sell to them. Just a novel idea, really. But GS is the first place I go to pick up a new release, or to buy modern games pre-owned. I would hate to ever have that luxury taken away. I despise buying something that I want right away on the Internet, and invariably waiting 5 to 7 business days to get it at a fair shipping rate. Usually loose all enthusiasm by then.

Would love it if they expanded store inventory to include classic games, but that would require a highly competent staff on hand at each store, and many expensive new store fixtures. I doubt it'll happen.

sworddude

« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2016, 08:20:30 am »
I really don't get why there are any people at all who see this as a positive thing because it basicly means that even less deals can be found since people will be selling their stuff at gamestop.

Potentially anyways but seeing as how they are a pretty big brand name you can be pretty sure that there will be even less deals than in the past.
Your Stylish Sword Master!

Warmsignal

« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2016, 11:44:47 am »
I really don't get why there are any people at all who see this as a positive thing because it basicly means that even less deals can be found since people will be selling their stuff at gamestop.

Potentially anyways but seeing as how they are a pretty big brand name you can be pretty sure that there will be even less deals than in the past.

From what I've seen, it's a relatively small number of people who actually bring old games into their stores as far as people who "don't know what they have", often times those people assume old games aren't relevant anymore. The rest (meaning most who will bring in games), are aware of the value of their stuff. Nobody who is really aware of this is going to turn loose of gems for a small amount of store credit there unless they're trade happy and just don't care, which granted some people are.

But, it's a good thing only in the sense that eBay shouldn't be the only force in the market that dictates value, particularly because a lot of shady crap goes on there and values become inflated due to sellers simply deciding to see if they can charge more, and desperate gamers end up paying it. GameStop already acts as a container of outrageous value on some modern games that start taking off. In some cases they keep the price down from eBay sellers going wild with something like Devil's Third, Xenoblade, Calling, just to name a few. Small print releases would be absolutely gouged on eBay, if it weren't for a store like GS. Because we've seen time and time again, scalpers buy and stick them up 3x the price on day one.