Author Topic: Game Hunting during the Collecting Boom  (Read 2712 times)

Re: Game Hunting during the Collecting Boom
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2016, 07:55:57 am »
I guess I am lucky that I love in a small city with 5 goodwills within fifteen minues and price their games at 3.33 and have a sale 50% every week on stuff that has sat there for a while.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2016, 11:04:34 am »
I still find something occasionally on Craigslist, but not too often. Nowadays, I find most of my stuff on FaceBook yardsale groups. If I get lucky and see something first, I can get some good deals.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2016, 12:11:46 pm »
I still find something occasionally on Craigslist, but not too often. Nowadays, I find most of my stuff on FaceBook yardsale groups. If I get lucky and see something first, I can get some good deals.

If one concentrates their efforts on especially facebook etc than naturally you'll find less deals on for example craigslist. That being said luck is also a nice factor.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2016, 12:14:19 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

gomi321

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2016, 01:07:26 pm »
Yard sales, the random 2nd & Charles find & the super rare almost extinct Craigslist deal. Goodwill & thrift stores are usually picked clean.

3DS: 3952-8105-2656 Nintendo Network/Steam/XBox/PSN: gomi321

mrnikon

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2016, 02:41:10 pm »
I went to one of my game shops and the NES collection was just about empty they had maybe 5 different games. Anticipation was one of them. Typically in the past they would have about a couple cozen different games.

stlgamer75

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2016, 02:22:37 pm »
If I find deals, which is rare, its through online venues like Craigslist or Facebook Marketplace. I don't go to garage sales due to lack of time but I'm sure there are deals to be had for those with patience. I have mostly given up on finding serious deals as almost everybody seems to be aware of the value of retro games these days so I've accepted buying games at or slightly below market value if I truly want to own/play them.
Check out my retro gaming blog, Cartridge Corner
https://stlgamer75.wordpress.com

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2016, 04:48:25 pm »
 I still frequent Flea Markets, Local retro stores and Goodwill/Savers stores preying for cheap deals. Most of the time they are dry but sometimes I get lucky.  But that's the joy of the hunt I guess :D. Beating resellers to the punch is difficult but if you manage to arrive right as they are putting out new games you can score awesome titles for much under retail. It's a lot of learning the hours and tendencies of the particular thrift store. To beat the resellers you need to think like one.  but typically I buy on ebay or I try to find non reseller collectors to find decent deals if I really need something. often times failing.   The prices have become very unwarranted and typically ebay is the same price as wild finds. Everyone is a reseller now a days and nobody is willing to give deals.  My best scores have come from goodwill. Although its like finding a needle in a haystack.   Yard Sales or Garage sales are the same idea, takes luck and patience.  To beat the resellers it takes mastery of technique. Flawless execution and determination.

I have beaten the resellers before. But winning battles leads to losing the war.  the scene is far bigger than imagined. To the point where gamestop is now hoarding our childhood memories by boat loads as we speak. Clutching them, stacking them miles high. Gamestop has bought more classic games in the past 15 minutes than any of us own.  They are hoarding millions of retro carts and consoles. Buying them nationally and they have us at their very whim. Prices will see soars never thought possible,  they have almost killed the market.  I just hope we can come up with a counter strategy. but the biggest snake of all has made its first move.  they have grown too powerful.  The game supply is being harvested in a manipulative way by one of the biggest corporations in the country. It's terrifying. With luck their plans will fail and order will be restored.  as long as we don't give in and always strive for the best deals :)   

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2016, 04:54:15 pm »
^ But GameStop doesn't "horde" them. They sell them. GameStop getting them means more games in the marketplace for retro gamers. Collectors just hold on to them, which isn't good for the market.

kashell

« Reply #23 on: November 02, 2016, 11:30:07 am »
I used to hit up local game stores. Unfortunately, they started matching and/or going above prices on eBay or Amazon. Since my taste in games is much more limited, chances are I'll just buy most of my stuff online that isn't available at Game Stop.