Author Topic: What cleaners do you use for video games and consoles?  (Read 2027 times)

What cleaners do you use for video games and consoles?
« on: November 15, 2016, 02:24:38 am »
For plastic cases and consoles I use purified water on a microfiber cloth for the dirt or dust. Then I use a mixture of 50 percent isopropyl alcohol and water deluded to about a 60:40 ratio to disinfect and sanitize.  If a sticker or candy stain is being stubborn I will use goo gone and germ x but I prefer not to because I don't like the slippery residue goo gone leaves.  :D 

What do you use to clean games? Do you have any special polishes?

Re: What cleaners do you use for video games and consoles?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 07:01:44 am »
99 percent isopropyl alcohol, both on plastic cases and contacts. I'm a recent collector, but so far I didn't have any problem with this method. Used either on a q-tip or on a white sponge (Mr Cleaner magic eraser type) – although when using these sponges I tend to be careful as they can deteriorate the texture of some plastic. Goo gone then some windows cleaning liquid for the stickers.

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 09:31:02 am »
Goo Gone

azure

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 09:50:16 am »
Goo Gone gets almost any job done.

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 10:16:33 am »
I've cleaned 100's if not 1000's of carts. I gotcha on this. I've tried everything.

Windex for general cleaning of carts.

91% Alcohol and q-tips for contacts

Goo Gone for sticker residue.

On N64 carts, don't use anything harsher than water. Those labels are delicate like a flower.

Stay away from Magic Erasers except for last resort. They are like super-fine sandpaper. They take the texture off the cart.

ProTip: Get a cheap electric toothbrush. It'll make life a lot easier.

Any questions?  Just ask. I've tried damn near everything.

desocietas

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2016, 11:18:40 am »
I've cleaned 100's if not 1000's of carts. I gotcha on this. I've tried everything.

Windex for general cleaning of carts.

91% Alcohol and q-tips for contacts

Goo Gone for sticker residue.

On N64 carts, don't use anything harsher than water. Those labels are delicate like a flower.

Stay away from Magic Erasers except for last resort. They are like super-fine sandpaper. They take the texture off the cart.

ProTip: Get a cheap electric toothbrush. It'll make life a lot easier.

Any questions?  Just ask. I've tried damn near everything.

Thoughts on consoles? Areas around the thumbsticks?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

turf

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2016, 12:02:50 pm »
I clean consoles outside and plastic parts with windex. All internals get alcohol.

Around thumbsticks???  I have no idea. In theory, it needs soap to break down the oils and hand-funk that get on it. I'd use windex though. I've used it on a bunch of GameCube and N64 controllers.

I don't fool with cd-based consoles too much. I've cleaned a few DreamCasts and PS1s. I clean the lense with a q-tip and windex. It's been ok so far.

An important thing to remember is DO NOT use windex on cart contacts. The ammonia in the windex causes the copper on the contacts to corrode.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:06:25 pm by turf »

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2016, 12:55:10 pm »
standard pencil eraser cleans contacts and sticky residue like nothing and  a paintbrush  to wipe away on the contacts. I'll  use Goo gone for everything else wait a little and wipe the grease off with rubbing alcohol.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 12:56:44 pm by redblaze57 »

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2016, 03:44:53 pm »
In terms of plastic on anything (cartridges, consoles, controllers) as long as you have removed any electronics just use a toothbrush a soapy water. Works way better than anything else. For sticker residue use goo gone and for contacts use erasers.

spac316

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2016, 04:18:05 am »
Good ol' 99% isopropyl alcohol, Goo gone, or similar product, for the stubborn stickers on cases and magic erasers for marker scribblings.
I could also use erasers and soap.

fighterpilot562

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2016, 12:35:41 pm »
I love using goo gone, good stuff to use.
VGCs Unofficial Podcast! Be sure to sub and listen in.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTyhaE8LSCmQN7fiHxHjyWg

Add Me: fighterpilot562 (PSN, XBL, WiiU, Steam, Origin, Steam, Twitch)

1049-2600-8730

tafk

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2016, 02:22:55 pm »
Anyone else have the issue with goo gone where if you leave it on a plastic case for too long the case cover (thin sheet over the paper cover) gets kinda warped? I leave goo gone on for like 2-3 min to soak on the stickers because I find that gets them the easiest but I sometimes run into this issue. Anyone else experienced this?

shepard11

« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2016, 02:39:16 pm »
I always Duck Adhesive Remover (which is their version of Goo Gone) for the sticky stuff. Then I use a lot of cleaning alcohol and q-tips. And my last resort for grime is a clean rag and just a tad bit of warm water and dawn. When it comes to actually disc games I'm lucky enough to own a disc resurfacing machine. It's loud but it gets the job done. But when I find the gentleman that put address labels on everything in this recent collection i got I might hurt him. Who does that? Disc booklet and jewel case nothing was safe from his stickers.

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2016, 06:32:46 pm »
Anyone else have the issue with goo gone where if you leave it on a plastic case for too long the case cover (thin sheet over the paper cover) gets kinda warped? I leave goo gone on for like 2-3 min to soak on the stickers because I find that gets them the easiest but I sometimes run into this issue. Anyone else experienced this?
Never had that issue even after a couple hours.