Author Topic: Favorite Movies of 2016  (Read 1425 times)

Favorite Movies of 2016
« on: December 19, 2016, 09:55:04 pm »
Just like with everything else, what was the best or maybe the worst you watched this year?

Favorite Movies
- Star Wars: Rogue One - While not a perfect movie, suffering from some lack of characterization, I had a ton of fun with the movie and the ending is great.

- Deadpool - I expected this movie to be not too great, but it turned out to be completely hilarious and a really goofy time.  Reynolds finally got to portray Deadpool how he wanted.

- Dr. Strange - Yet another solid Marvel movie, giving us a great new character for the series.  I love the visuals in this one, which really make it stand out from all the rest.

- Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - I really enjoy the Harry Potter world, even if I'm not a reader of the books. I love the movies though, so to know we'll be getting more and more movies for awhile is a good time.

- Ku Fu Panda 3 - This has been a series I've enjoyed since the first and I'm so glad it wasn't something run into the ground like Shrek or Ice Age, we get one every few years with a good story and it's so far been just a great time.

- Zootopia - On the other hand, I'd love to have Zootopia movies every two years.  I think with this world they've created, there's a lot of different stuff they could do in it.

- Avengers: Civil War - While it's not the REAL Civil War that the comics brought, I still enjoyed the rivalry going on, the introduction of what seems like a finally good Spiderman, we got some great action scenes, it was just a solid time.

Honorable Mentions
Finding Dory
Warcraft
Kingsglaive
10 Cloverfield Lane

Worst Movie
Ghostbusters - I went to this movie for free and still regretted it.  I'm usually pretty good about picking movies, whether I'll like them or not, and while I had heard this was mostly bad, I had weirdly heard some people say it wasn't so, that there were some funny moments, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I actually watched it after Suicide Squad, which wasn't a bad movie I thought, but not too great.  I have never walked out of the movie, but I was so close.  This is not just a terrible reboot, it's a terrible comedy.  It's some of the most unfunny jokes.  I only laughed twice, almost back to back, at the very end of the movie, at two mostly nothing jokes.  This was garbage and probably one of the worst movies I've seen in years.  Not that I watch too many bad movies, I avoid as much as I can, but this one I let slip through and it'll forever haunt me.

Re: Favorite Movies of 2016
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2016, 10:22:51 pm »
Just like with everything else, what was the best or maybe the worst you watched this year?

Favorite Movies
- Star Wars: Rogue One - While not a perfect movie, suffering from some lack of characterization, I had a ton of fun with the movie and the ending is great.

- Deadpool - I expected this movie to be not too great, but it turned out to be completely hilarious and a really goofy time.  Reynolds finally got to portray Deadpool how he wanted.

- Dr. Strange - Yet another solid Marvel movie, giving us a great new character for the series.  I love the visuals in this one, which really make it stand out from all the rest.

- Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them - I really enjoy the Harry Potter world, even if I'm not a reader of the books. I love the movies though, so to know we'll be getting more and more movies for awhile is a good time.

- Ku Fu Panda 3 - This has been a series I've enjoyed since the first and I'm so glad it wasn't something run into the ground like Shrek or Ice Age, we get one every few years with a good story and it's so far been just a great time.

- Zootopia - On the other hand, I'd love to have Zootopia movies every two years.  I think with this world they've created, there's a lot of different stuff they could do in it.

- Avengers: Civil War - While it's not the REAL Civil War that the comics brought, I still enjoyed the rivalry going on, the introduction of what seems like a finally good Spiderman, we got some great action scenes, it was just a solid time.

Honorable Mentions
Finding Dory
Warcraft
Kingsglaive
10 Cloverfield Lane

Worst Movie
Ghostbusters - I went to this movie for free and still regretted it.  I'm usually pretty good about picking movies, whether I'll like them or not, and while I had heard this was mostly bad, I had weirdly heard some people say it wasn't so, that there were some funny moments, so I thought I'd give it a try.  I actually watched it after Suicide Squad, which wasn't a bad movie I thought, but not too great.  I have never walked out of the movie, but I was so close.  This is not just a terrible reboot, it's a terrible comedy.  It's some of the most unfunny jokes.  I only laughed twice, almost back to back, at the very end of the movie, at two mostly nothing jokes.  This was garbage and probably one of the worst movies I've seen in years.  Not that I watch too many bad movies, I avoid as much as I can, but this one I let slip through and it'll forever haunt me.

I think Suicide Squad would get my vote for most disappointing... I mean, the freakin' advertising for it at Walmart makes it look like a children's movie! :o It focused way too much on Will Smith's character, and I was really hoping for a little more Joker screentime and an actual plot.

I'm by no means a Star Wars guy, but I'd say my criticism of Rogue One is kind of like what the Battlefront review mentioned from Angry Joe; the actual production quality is excellent, but it just sort of lacks some other aspects. I think the characterization problem is true; I was a bit confused concerning the nature of the force in this movie, and I felt like the ending part (where the guy escapes Vader) seemed a bit stupid... He could've just force choked him or some shit, I'd think...

I don't really have any movies to say much positive about, honestly. One that was actually surprisingly good (went in with low standards, and it was actually really nice for a change of pace) was On the Edge of Seventeen. I'd recommend a DVD rental if you're looking for something different. But that's about the only thing that stands out to me. I just really haven't been pleased with movies for the longest time, minus the Tarantino films. Not saying that there haven't been good or decent films, but I just don't generally walk out of the movie theatre with much pleasure nowadays.

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2016, 12:05:54 am »
I think Suicide Squad would get my vote for most disappointing... I mean, the freakin' advertising for it at Walmart makes it look like a children's movie! :o It focused way too much on Will Smith's character, and I was really hoping for a little more Joker screentime and an actual plot.

I'm by no means a Star Wars guy, but I'd say my criticism of Rogue One is kind of like what the Battlefront review mentioned from Angry Joe; the actual production quality is excellent, but it just sort of lacks some other aspects. I think the characterization problem is true; I was a bit confused concerning the nature of the force in this movie, and I felt like the ending part (where the guy escapes Vader) seemed a bit stupid... He could've just force choked him or some shit, I'd think...

I don't really have any movies to say much positive about, honestly. One that was actually surprisingly good (went in with low standards, and it was actually really nice for a change of pace) was On the Edge of Seventeen. I'd recommend a DVD rental if you're looking for something different. But that's about the only thing that stands out to me. I just really haven't been pleased with movies for the longest time, minus the Tarantino films. Not saying that there haven't been good or decent films, but I just don't generally walk out of the movie theatre with much pleasure nowadays.

There were parts of Suicide Squad I like, it's not a complete loss, it's just wasted opportunity, because they tried to turn it into some "Oh the team comes together at the end", but it needed to be far more vulgar and a lot more brutal with a better story.  Like Deadpool with bad guys.  It was what they were trying for, but because that idea came AFTER Deadpool was successful, the movie suffered.  I'm still hoping the Harley movie with Catwoman and Poison Ivy is good.  I think Margot Robbie was great, even if I didn't like her Harley look, and it gives them an opportunity to handle it better from the start.

soera

« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2016, 12:59:02 am »
Best :

All the marvel movies
Warcraft
Sausage party

Worst:

Hateful 8 ... Wish I had known Tarantino was part of this before the stepson rented it, I would have talked him out of it. Since I cant not finish a movie, Ive lost a few hours of life that will never return.

« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2016, 01:09:33 am »
Best :

All the marvel movies
Warcraft
Sausage party

Worst:

Hateful 8 ... Wish I had known Tarantino was part of this before the stepson rented it, I would have talked him out of it. Since I cant not finish a movie, Ive lost a few hours of life that will never return.

Hateful 8 is actually a 2015 movie in theater, but I guess it's allowed for its 2016 release lol I thought it was just alright.  I actually went back to look for my quick review of it and from what I remember, it's basically once the reveal of everything happens, it gets kinda shit and the dialogue only really works if you love what Tarantino does and I only kinda do.  I at least remember liking it more than Inglorious Bastards.

soera

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2016, 01:57:46 am »
Oh lol I didnt realize when it was made/released ... my step son rented it 4-5 days ago and we watched it. He couldnt even finish it.

doafan

« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2016, 02:36:20 pm »
Will simplify everything in two lines cause am tired as hell, the weather is so damn cold and seriously I just want to be at bed sleeping  ;D

* Good movies: Kung Fu Panda 3, The Swallows, The Secret Life of Pets, The Accountant, Nine Lives, The Forest, Kubo and the Two Strings, Zootopia and Deadpool.

* Bad movies: Independence Day: Resurgence, Sausage Party, The Wild Life, 10 Cloverfield Lane and Zoolander 2

I don't want to be horny anymore, I just want to be happy

stealthrush

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2016, 04:57:35 pm »
Enjoyed: Angry Birds, Captain America: Civil War, Warcraft, X-Men: Apocalypse, We Are X (documentary).
Not a fan of : Zootopia, Ghostbusters can't think of any others.