Author Topic: The Resident Evil Thread  (Read 2725 times)

redrowz

Re: The Resident Evil Thread
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2017, 03:56:17 am »
If you want no spoilers, everyone better not mention the Gamespot review!

« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2017, 04:15:18 am »
So far, I have almost 4 hours into the game and its really good.  The most unsettling and creepy the series has ever been.  While it does have elements of the more modern horror game scene, such as Outlast, that's mostly in just its perspective and basic feel.  Otherwise, this is a Resident Evil game at its core with nods to past game mechanics (Take a guess how you get the shotgun lol).  I'll play it a bunch more later today, but so far, I'm quite happy with it.

Make sure to not spoil yourself on the game if you can.  I think there might be a good mystery here waiting to unfold and not knowing what you are going into might make the first experience particularly special.  I mean, it's probably still Resident Evil as you know it, so it'll be a bit hokey, but that's part of the charm of the series.

shfan

« Reply #17 on: January 24, 2017, 06:45:04 am »
I know people have mentioned loving this game before, but much like 5, I will fight you on it haha. ;)

It's all good, when I express an opinion on a game it's more about possibly flagging something up that someone else might like, rather than trying to lay down a definitive "this is good/bad". That's why I like reading message board posts, info gathering on future game acquisitions.

With video games there's so much interplay between things like genre, presentation, music, plot, length of play-through etc. - and those things only being slightly tweaked from one release to another can even then make a big difference - I certainly wouldn't pick any game and think "everyone's going to love/hate" that.

I'm not promising myself that RE7 is going to be good, the series is too uppy-downy in quality to say that now, but I won't post any spoilers :) Worst case scenario it gets traded in at CEX for a voucher towards something else.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2017, 12:40:42 pm »
I want to play REVII, but I think I'm going into it wary the same way I am with Switch. I've been burned too many times by RE lately (like Nintendo lately), so I'll wait and see what everyone's reactions are before I take the plunge.

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2017, 12:42:21 am »
Well I beat the game and of course without spoiling anything, I think this is a pretty great game.  It's definitely a return to survival horror like in Resident Evil 1, but with some elements seen in some of the later games.  I like that this game is pretty scaled down compared to what we've had before.  I'm still too fresh and kinda exhausted from playing the game to figure out where I'd place it on the list of favorites though.  I mean, the only ones I like are RE4, 5, and Revelations 2, but I think this is definitely better than both Revelations 2 and 5.  RE4 and RE7 are very different games, so I'm not sure how I could compare them right now.  I'm definitely gonna play a second time to try harder to find every little item since I still missed things, but that is a good sign I feel with me wanting to replay something so soon.  That doesn't happen often.

The ending of the game might be the only weak part though, due to a kinda lackluster boss fighter and some loose ends that worry me.  One will be tied up with free DLC next month.  Don't look into that DLC though, it'll spoil things, but that'll hopefully fix one issue I have with the ending.  The other, I'm worried they have a cliffhanger going on and that it could be resolved with future DLC.  That would be annoying.

Overall, this is a really good game.  I think for people who were wanting to see Resident Evil scaled back from the big action heavy experience  it turned into after RE4, or even RE4, this game might be for you.