Author Topic: Is the collecting bubble shifting?  (Read 3642 times)

dreama1

Re: Is the collecting bubble shifting?
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2016, 01:54:23 am »
Is Ugandan toilet paper worth significantly less than toilet paper elsewhere? AFAIK they don't just give it away. You'd think it would be higher than usual given that Uganda is not a major player in the production of TP.
Maybe.

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2016, 07:42:58 pm »
Well, Uganda is landlocked so they'd have to pay a higher shipping fee if they want high quality first world toilet paper.

Now then, moving on from that, I don't think the bubble will come as hard and as fast as some people seem to be saying it will. I attend auctions a lot and see how things go for other hobbies. I think that games have a more universal appeal than something like, say, 80s GI Joes, where you have to have been around at the time to appreciate them and as such I think they'll hold value better. I think they will have more in common with, say, model tractors where you could appreciate the tractor even if you didn't play with that type as a kid. Are those old farm toys worthless? No, I see them go at auctions for anywhere from 4-5 to over a 100 dollars based on what is actually there, just like with games. They can be quite complex and having all the accessories that went with it but typically got lost or broken (the wagon, the cultivator, etc.) in good shape can easily more than double the price of one just as is true for a game. For those tractors the value is usually less than what it was when it was new, as with games, but its still at a level where you wouldn't want to throw them out.

That said, something that would totally flip over the low end of the market would be if game stores found a way to adjust prices on ultra-common games to counteract the "$4.00 Madden 64" effect. That three to four dollar limit is artificially high due to difficulties with how pricecharting.com (and comparable services) handles shipping fees and has lead to a glut of those games on retro store shelves.

sworddude

« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2016, 11:38:36 am »
I think the truly high desirable stuff will stay stable and will drop maybe slightly in price. Games like earthbound terranigma chrono trigger. it's way to overhyped bound to go down sometime.

However uncommon stuff wich was was never truly desirable will stay high in price and might even increase in value, furthermore it also seems a trend that more and more collectors want really nice condition stuff, so if you have stuff lying around in bad condition it will be allot tougher to sell than in the past even if the price is heavily reduced.

Gamecube is an excellent example.

Mario kart double dash mario sunshine and the zelda games have stayed pretty stable in price., Twilight princess has always been around 40 - 50 in my country a UK version for bit higher. The mario games always around 20.

Than you have uncommon gamecube games like chibi robo and gotcha force wich were only 30 euro games just a few years ago, they raised in price to a whopping 80 to 100 + euro's  :P

Plenty of underated games with very limited supply. Nice collectible condition stuff will not lower in price anytime soon, unless were talking about very desirable expensive games wich have way to much hype.

Than again I'm pretty sure that if I started a bit earlier with for example collecting snes I would have snagged way better deals, the way I see it prices are still rising, however only if you looking at the cib nice condition stuff market. if you collect lose carts, allot easier and I can imagine some price drops. Carts for snes and nes aren't to expensive.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 11:43:03 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!