Author Topic: 52 Game Challenge 2017  (Read 61495 times)

Re: 52 Game Challenge 2017
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2017, 02:31:45 am »
11 - Legend of the Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch 2017) - 60+ Hours BEAT - It's crazy to have "60 hours" in a Zelda game and I'm not even remotely complete with the game.  I decided I wanted to see the end and while I did have the basics completed in terms of main quests, I still have so many shrines, side quests, and korok seeds to get.  Like I think I'm halfway through the shrines and there's a bajillion more seeds to get. 

I won't spoil anything for the story and while it's not my favorite Zelda ending, I gotta say that this is easily going to be my favorite Zelda of all time.  I've always sorta kept Ocarina of Time at the top out of nostalgia and classic charm that game has, with Twilight Princess below that as basically just the better game to play generally, but Breath of the Wild is an incredible new era for Zelda.  This is as significant for Zelda as going 3D was for Ocarina of Time.  I'm so happy to play this game and I can't wait to play it more.

« Reply #181 on: March 11, 2017, 01:08:16 am »
12 - Nier: Automata (PS4 2017) - PLAYING - Wasn't sure I wanted to get into another open world'ish game after playing so much Zelda, but its scale is much smaller than that and there's a lot less of the open world busy work here other than side quests.  I've come to learn a good bit about Nier and partially Drakengard recently and I did play the first Nier for abit before losing interest, but I like the ideas and settings of this one and I know its gonna have some odd story to it.  Gameplay is pretty interesting too, mixing that Platinum flair with a bullet hell shooter.  The multiple endings thing I've heard of could be annoying though.

kashell

« Reply #182 on: March 11, 2017, 10:57:52 am »
Yakuza review is up.

« Reply #183 on: March 11, 2017, 03:30:49 pm »
Update of my list :

Only the games I finished :

1. Watch Dogs 2
2. Mirror's Edge Catalyst
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider

List of games beaten + abandonned/currently playing/not finish-able (but at least played more than a few hours)

1. Watch Dogs 2
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Virtua Fighter 5
7. Soulcalibur 3
8. Soulcalibur 5
9. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
10. Bloody Roar Primal Fury
11. Saints Row 3
12. Watch Dogs
13. The Sims 4
14. Heart Of Darkness (abandoned half way trough)
15. Donkey Kong Country 2
16. Rise of the Tomb Raider
17. Tomb Raider
18. The Sims 1
19. Cities Skylines
20. Donkey Kong Country (started a few days ago)
21. Fallout 4
« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 05:42:10 pm by chrismb »

shfan

« Reply #184 on: March 15, 2017, 08:37:22 am »
8) Dungeon Siege III (360)

Well there's 8, which is roughly Jan + Feb's games, need to really pick up the pace though.

kashell

« Reply #185 on: March 15, 2017, 01:48:22 pm »
Alright! Guilty Gear X review is up.

telly

« Reply #186 on: March 15, 2017, 03:02:57 pm »
I'm at about 62 hours in Persona 3, and 30 hours in Pokemon Platinum (training for the 8th Gym). So those will probably both be beat at around the same time hopefully!

Last year at around this time I already had 5/6 games beat  :o
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

realpoketendonl

« Reply #187 on: March 17, 2017, 05:47:50 pm »
All right! After ten years, I finally beat Drawn to Life! I still fondly remember playing this game as a kid, and I made it to the final boss, but I could never beat it back then and ended up selling it. Now, after ten years, I finally got the game back again, and now I've finally finished what I started so long ago. Can I also get a round of applause for the hero who made it all possible and saved Rapovil: Zander-Z!

I like this game. It's not a masterpiece or anything, but it has a charm that can't be denied, especially in terms of the characters. I would almost call it a hidden gem on DS. It's also ridiculously cheap online, so if you ever see it I do recommend it.

So that puts me at twelve games! Looks like I'm still right on track! Though I do think I'll start slowing down now.
Italics means I had already started with the game november last year or earlier.
A red glow means this is a second playthrough
A blue glow means the game has been completed 100%
  • Life is Strange
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - PC version
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Drawn to Life

So what's next? Well games I was planning on playing next include Postal 2: Paradise Lost, Metal Gear Rising Revengeance, The Wonderful 101, The World Ends With You, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All, and my Infinite Climax playthrough of Bayonetta 2. Though I think I'm just going to bypass all of that and play through The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D next. As a big Nintendofan it's kind of shameful that I've never played that before, so I think it's time to cross that off the list.
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

« Reply #188 on: March 17, 2017, 11:45:03 pm »
It's been close to a month since my last review, mostly due to me playing Breath of the Wild and Final Fantasy VII right now. But I decided to take a break from both and play some SHMUPs over the past few days. Aside from these two, I am also revisting Thunder Force IV, however the game is very hard for me to review given how mixed I feel about it. I'll probably end up reviewing it again at some later point, but for now here are two other games I've played recently.

19. M.U.S.H.A (Genesis): While this game is fun and one of the best shooters on the Genesis, it has some annoying quarks which decreased my enjoyment while playing, specifically how the game pretty much screws you if you die and lose your power ups. The game becomes too difficult too quickly for you to adjust accordingly if you die and lose your power ups. This is especially true of the last three or four stages which being as powerful as possible is kind of essential. Aside from that complaint, the game looks awesome, has a good variety of stages, enemies, and bosses, and the soundtrack is amazing! (3/17/17)

20. Progear no Arashi (Arcade): I honestly just felt bored playing this game despite the gameplay being mostly good and the steampunk art style reminding me of Metal Slug. I guess there was nothing particularly interesting or remarkable to set it apart from other STG games, and I felt like I was forcing myself through the game despite it being over and done with in half an hour or so. (3/17/17)

shfan

« Reply #189 on: March 19, 2017, 03:48:04 pm »
9) Rage (360)

Yep, not bad.

realpoketendonl

« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2017, 01:27:16 pm »
All right, that was quick. Metal Gear Rising Revengeance is only around 7 hours long, and I was already 3-4 hours in, so beating it didn't take long. Honestly glad I finally got back to it though, because it's a fantastic game! The combat is very smooth and satisfying, and it's as over-the-top and fantastical as you'd expect. But then again, it's PlatinumGames, of course it's great. I definitely highly recommend this game, truly a fantastic title who's only real hinder is it's length. (And also the soundtrack is freaking A-ma-zing!)

So that puts me at 13 games!
Italics means I had already started with the game november last year or earlier.
A red glow means this is a second playthrough
A blue glow means the game has been completed 100%
  • Life is Strange
  • New Super Mario Bros. U
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Kirby's Dream Land
  • Spongebob Squarepants: Battle for Bikini Bottom - PC version
  • Super Mario 3D World
  • Kirby Super Star Ultra
  • Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney
  • Learn With Pokémon: Typing Adventure
  • Sonic Generations
  • Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Gates to Infinity
  • Drawn to Life
  • Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance

So as I've said before, titles on the list to play next are Postal 2: Paradise Lost, The Wonderful 101, The World Ends With You, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Justice for All, The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D and my Infinite Climax playthrough of Bayonetta 2. Out of all of these I think I'll start with The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D next.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 08:40:33 pm by realpoketendonl »
Huge Nintendo fan and hobbyist Nintendo collector.

« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2017, 02:11:18 pm »
Long weekend.  Updated my list.

Finished Zelda and some other things.

« Reply #192 on: March 23, 2017, 02:33:20 am »
13 - Blaster Master Zero (Switch 2017) - 6 HOURS BEAT - Needed something less in depth than the other stuff I've been playing lately and so I grabbed this, because why not, it's cheap! Overall, a nice little game, not very long, it plays and looks good, I enjoyed my time.  Bosses are a mixed bag and you can really cheap out certain ones with your weapons.  There is a little more to the game from what I understand, so I might go back and finish it all up, but the game doesn't take long to beat it at all.  I was probably at like 85% complete at under 6 hours.

« Reply #193 on: March 23, 2017, 09:42:48 am »
1. Watch Dogs 2
3. Jet Set Radio
4. Bully
5. Quantum Break
6. Assassin's Creed Syndicate
7. Saints Row 3
8. Watch Dogs
9. Rise of the Tomb Raider
10. Donkey Kong Country 2
11. Tomb Raider
12. Aggressive Inline
13. Hitman Season 1
14. SSX 3

telly

« Reply #194 on: March 23, 2017, 10:29:03 am »
Game 3 - Persona 3 FES (PS2) - 71 Hours

This game was quite excellent, and had a lot great things going for it. A lot of the stuff I don't like from Persona games are in here, but it's still a solid entry. I'm not sure whether I like this one over Persona 4 or not!

+ Everything I liked from P4 is in this game, with the social links, battling, collecting and fusing personas, etc. I especially loved the story this time around, even more than P4. It had some great dark and serious moments that were entertaining. I also really liked the cast, all the characters were likable and I had a better connection to them than in Persona 4. The ending in particular, though the final boss was annoying, was ultimately a really fulfilling way to finish off the game.

- While the story was great, there were some pacing issues that I didn't like, with whole months of time without really having anything to do. These games can get very formulaic and boring especially when you get 50 hours in. The music, other than a few tracks, was also not nearly as good as P4. I also hated that you couldn't control your party. At first I thought I would like it, but it ended up being very annoying. There were also some issues with voice acting. I particularly did not like Fuuka, Ikutski and Chidori. Finally, Persona has a bad habit of forcing you to form a romantic relationship with every female you come across in order to improve your social links. I wish I could have a better control over who I wanted to be romantically involved with and who I could be close friends with.

Back to my list
« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 10:37:41 am by telly »
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery