Author Topic: Favourite VG magazines  (Read 2437 times)

gamesta64

Favourite VG magazines
« on: January 18, 2017, 03:54:49 pm »

one of my Favourite magazines is Hyper Magazine its from Australia like Me and it has some good games like Sonic CD Doom 2 Stunt Racer FX
Theme Park & Mortal Kombat
my youngest issue is hyper #228 October 2012 and it got some good games like Darksiders 2 Assassin,s Creed 3 and New Super Mario Bros 2. i also have the first issue of hyper Magazine & the reviews are tempting
quite good at all. :)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: Favourite VG magazines
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2017, 04:12:28 pm »

Videogames and Computer Entertainment was definetly the king of gaming magazines back in the day. They were so thick, with so much coverage, and on every system imaginable. Systems that didn't get coverage in other magazines like 3DO, TG-16, and CD-i. I probably wouldn't have known much about these systems as a kid if it wasn't for this awesome magazine. I still get giddy when I come across an old issue once in a blue moon.

Well, in the mid-to-later 90s, CVG folded, unfortunately. When that magazine ended, I moved on to the next best thing: Electronic Gaming Monthly. Which in the late 90s, was the thickest gaming magazine back then, often weighing in at over 100 pages per issue. Not quite as a much coverage with the smaller systems, like CVG, but still more coverage than your average gaming magazine.

Nowadays, Retro Gamer (U.K.) is without a doubt the best magazine on the stands, gaming or otherwise. Such a cool format, VERY well written articles with lots information, and LOTS of great photos of cool retro stuff. SOOOOO much better than the U.S. counterpart (titled "Retro Video Game Magazine"). My wife is so cool, she got me a year's subscription for Christmas this year (which is not cheap to get in the U.S.). First issue ships sometime this month, haven't gotten it, yet.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 04:34:20 pm by burningdoom »

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2017, 06:24:23 pm »

« Last Edit: January 18, 2017, 06:26:01 pm by bikingjahuty »

gamesta64

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2017, 10:11:57 pm »
I love Gamepro & Nintendo power but i have a ton of Australia Gameinfomer magazines (the new ones) thanks to a friend of mine
oh yeah you should see GameproTV its brings out the cheats and reviews.

gamesta64

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2017, 10:25:37 pm »

I have another issue of hyper but this time its a bit better
they are still doing media reviews like music and movies but they review Guns & Roses-The spaghetti incident. and in movies Wayne's World 2 & Free Willy.
Enough talk about music & Movies let,s get to the games
there are some great games like Ultima 8 Clayfighters Sonic CD & last Freaking Gunstar Heroes!
so keep up the moments on this Forum and thank you.
Gamesta64.
PS oh yeah they did a playguide of Pocky & Rocky for SNES how nice  :D

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2017, 10:50:22 pm »
Almost forgot about this gem:

gamesta64

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2017, 11:48:26 pm »
Almost forgot about this gem:

Sweet sometimes they put Demo Discs with the magazine
i love demo discs

kashell

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2017, 08:31:52 am »
I used to be a big fan of Game Players. Back when I was a Mortal Kombat II fiend, the first copy of GP I picked up contained every move (fatality, friendship, etc.) for every character. I would study instead of studying for school.

Nowadays, I don't like any of them.

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2017, 08:57:28 am »
Nintendo Force Magazine

tripredacus

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2017, 10:36:02 am »
PC Gamer

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2017, 11:12:08 am »
PC Gamer

This one is very nostalgic for me, not because I was some hardcore PC gamer in the 90s; I didn't get my first computer until 98 and it could barely run games that were a year old. I would often peruse though these at the grocery store and long to be able to play these games, but as you know PCs back then cost easily double what they go for now. My only gateway into the world of PC gaming back then was this magazine and a few friends that had decent PCs that I used to jam on during sleep overs.

gamesta64

« Reply #11 on: January 19, 2017, 06:32:51 pm »
PC Gamer

that's WOW but to burst the bubble i have a new copy of PC Gamer 2 years ago.
BTW the only old PC i have is my Compaq armada E500 Laptop it has Windows 2000 and plays DVD'S.

Flashback2012

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2017, 03:48:26 am »
Loved: Electronic Gaming Monthly, EGM2, Diehard GameFan Magazine, Video Games (previously VG&CE)

Liked: Game Players, VG&CE, various other Console and Computer gaming magazines that I can't quite recall

Indifferent: Game Informer (I enjoyed it more before the format/size change)

Hated: GamePro. Ugh...it's been a good 20 years plus and I still can't look at their house artist's "artwork" and not want to claw my eyes out  :o  :P

gamesta64

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2017, 04:18:59 am »
Loved: Electronic Gaming Monthly, EGM2, Diehard GameFan Magazine, Video Games (previously VG&CE)

Liked: Game Players, VG&CE, various other Console and Computer gaming magazines that I can't quite recall

Indifferent: Game Informer (I enjoyed it more before the format/size change)

Hated: GamePro. Ugh...it's been a good 20 years plus and I still can't look at their house artist's "artwork" and not want to claw my eyes out  :o  :P

well there's a magazine i don' like: incite magazine- why is there a crossover of EGM (USA) & a men's magazine Maxim (USA) It did not make me interested.
So hey why not crossover Game Pro with Playboy That's a shocker!!! :o