Author Topic: Amiibo & Figures count as Swag  (Read 1638 times)

Amiibo & Figures count as Swag
« on: February 13, 2017, 04:31:27 pm »

Amiibos and presumably all figures count as swag on collection breakdown. It should probably have its own category or be labelled better.

desocietas

Re: Amiibo & Figures count as Swag
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2017, 04:37:43 pm »
Yeah, I've been wanting that label to change for a while now. "Swag" was created before amiibos showed up and was used in place of "collectibles" to count any nice pack-ins or merchandise. I still consider them collectibles in my opinion, so the category works but should maybe be renamed. If they're separated, that's fine with me, but I personally collect them as statuettes rather than interactive figures.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 08:44:20 am »
As it is, it still bothers me that only games count as "items" in your collection.  I'm gonna hit 5000 actual items in my collection and I'm still going to have that 4000 items badge.

Honestly considering removing all none game items from my collection so I can at least see a "proper" item count.

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 09:39:21 pm »
I would consider Amiibos, Skylanders, and such as Accessories. They physically don't do anything but NFC to the appropriate device and give extras to games, but no one specific figure is required to make a game work. Swag generally does not affect gaming, while accessories are optional tools to enhance gaming. Just my opinion anyway.

Flashback2012

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 12:06:35 pm »
I would consider Amiibos, Skylanders, and such as Accessories. They physically don't do anything but NFC to the appropriate device and give extras to games, but no one specific figure is required to make a game work. Swag generally does not affect gaming, while accessories are optional tools to enhance gaming. Just my opinion anyway.

Good point. I'd say they better qualify as accessories than Swag.

To that end, perhaps a change to "Gaming-Related Merchandise" might be a better naming convention than "Swag"?  ;)

Also, since Interactive Figures and Cards have gotten their own categories, wouldn't it seem appropriate to address their listing/naming? For example...

Amiibo
Character (Series) [Region]

Diddy Kong (Super Mario Series) [NA]
Diddy Kong (Super Smash Bros. Series) [EU]
Diddy Kong (Super Smash Bros. Series) [JPN]
Diddy Kong (Super Smash Bros. Series) [NA]

Disney Infinity
Character Name (Variation if any) (Version) [Region]
Buzz Lightyear (Crystal) (Disney Infinity 1.0)  [NA]
Hulk (Disney Infinity 2.0) [NA]
Yoda (LightFX) (Disney Infinity 3.0) [NA]
(Not all that crazy about Disney Infinity being in every name and wouldn't mind if original series were labeled as 1.0 even though the packaging doesn't indicate that. Also, remove any info like being a store exclusive and put that in the Description Field.)

LEGO Dimensions
Character(s) (Series) (Version) [Region]
Cole / Kai / Boulder Bomber / Blade Bike (LEGO Ninjago) (Team Pack) [NA]
Doc Brown / Time Traveling Train (Back to the Future) (Fun Pack) [NA]
Newt Scamander / Niffler / MACUSA (Fantastic Beast and Where to Find Them) (Story Pack) [NA]
Superman / Hover Pod (DC Comics) (Fun Pack) [NA]
(Personally I'd rather it just have the spotlight character(s) name and not the sub-pieces but I included both because some people might want the listing to show both)

Skylanders
Character(s) (Variation if any) - Series [Region]
Bat Spin (Skylanders Trap Team) [NA]
Countdown (LightCore) - Skylanders Swap Force [NA]
Eggcited Thrillipede - Skylanders SuperChargers [NA]
(Like with Disney Infinity above, I would prefer the word Skylanders be dropped and only show the main series such as Spyro's Adventure, Giants, Imaginators, etc.)

tripredacus

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 12:08:10 pm »
To that end, perhaps a change to "Gaming-Related Merchandise" might be a better naming convention than "Swag"?  ;)

Everything on the site is gaming related, so just Merchandise would be fine. 8)

Flashback2012

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 01:00:15 pm »

Everything on the site is gaming related, so just Merchandise would be fine. 8)

That's works too.  ;)

Additionally, perhaps there needs to be a few more sub-categories to expand on Toys a bit. For example...

Articulate Figures/Figurines/Dolls
Non-Articulate Figurines/Novelties
Novelties/Memorabilia
Plushes
Statues/Busts