Author Topic: How do you feel about reprints?  (Read 3854 times)

sworddude

Re: How do you feel about reprints?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2017, 07:04:27 pm »
With new games I don't mind reprints. I don't really care about new games.

But if they are going to do reprints for older games, personally it kinda kills collectors and were not talking about value.

Just imagine if they would reprint sega saturn of dreamcast games or maybe snes and sega megadrive games.

I don't know what I would think about that. reprints of older games are not a good thing in my opinion. you could easily get the games online or you could emulate it for the original console. it feels kinda cheap if you would reprint a game that is 10 - 20 or even 30+ years old. Let's keep it with the everdrive etc, It's the same experience why do we need more cheap shelfwear?

As far as collecting goes reprints kinda kills it even if you do not take value into consideration. that's just my opinion. I think collecting will be less fun if there are many reprints and all the games are super easy to come by.

Just imagine if you could easily buy all the mega man and castlevania games cib, It's not special anymore also for the people that find deals. All the games will have the same value and are really easy to get why bother. Your not altering any gameplay, your only increasing shelfwear with 90% reprints.

As far as collecting goes reprints will make it allot less enjoyable, I guess a reprint is slightly better than an online dowload but It's just not as legit even though it is official. Reprints of games that are a few years old are ok, but of truly old games is not an ok in my book. A brand new panzer dragoon saga is just not the same as the legit old version.

I would rather see a market drop than massive reprints of all sought after games.

I think the reprints of the yakuza series is a bad start. your not gaining anything, the same amount of people will play the game with the difference of shelfwear. Let's be serious most people who buy it for 50 $ already have a online download It's just some shelfwear. reprints will not be a big help of increasing people that will actually play the game, emulators and everdrive carts do. Most games are also on newer compilations there is no reason to reprint an original game.

Definitely didn't lose money while entering this hobby the opposite but I have to admit that finding deals will be less satisfying. And having certain items that one has in the collection. Reprints are almost just as bad a reproductions in my opinion especially if there are no difference like with the yakuza games. Reprints in the past had many differences and were only a few years old but 10 years is really to much.

That saying of a collector who only collects games that he wants to play not rarity and value.

i'm pretty sure that many would love to see brand new snes and megadrive games and I'm pretty sure there is a chance that those days will come, but than again in my opinion as a serious collector that's pretty disturbing and collecting in general will be less fun.

On truly serious note I think that only wii ps2 and xbox will see exact replica reprints and that for older consoles the chances of those reprints are less likely to actually happen but there is a small chance.

Maybe gamecube because there is allot of hype.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2017, 07:21:02 pm by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

desocietas

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2017, 09:10:30 pm »
I think the reprints of the yakuza series is a bad start. your not gaining anything, the same amount of people will play the game with the difference of shelfwear. Let's be serious most people who buy it for 50 $ already have a online download It's just some shelfwear. reprints will not be a big help of increasing people that will actually play the game, emulators and everdrive carts do. Most games are also on newer compilations there is no reason to reprint an original game.

I really don't care for digital downloads of console games. There's too much uncertainty for me about whether I'd be able to have access to that game 10, 15, 20 years down the line. Games get removed from stores and servers for many reasons, and [the usual rant about preference of physical over digital]. If Yakuza 2 was available for $50 as a digital download, there was very little chance that I'd actually buy it. Even at $10, it'd be unlikely unless I was really anxious to have it for some reason.

Anyway, older games mostly likely won't be reprinted. VGP has stated that PS2 games are actually still being made, which is how they can help bring these reprints to life.
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2017, 04:34:37 am »
I absolutely don't care about the value or the rarity of my collection so I don't mind if some of my rarest games get a reprint, on the contrary i would be pretty happy if some of my friends that are still searching for a good deal on games like Skies of Arcadia can finally get it cheap and enjoy that excellent game.

sworddude

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2017, 05:44:25 am »

I really don't care for digital downloads of console games. There's too much uncertainty for me about whether I'd be able to have access to that game 10, 15, 20 years down the line. Games get removed from stores and servers for many reasons, and [the usual rant about preference of physical over digital]. If Yakuza 2 was available for $50 as a digital download, there was very little chance that I'd actually buy it. Even at $10, it'd be unlikely unless I was really anxious to have it for some reason.

Anyway, older games mostly likely won't be reprinted. VGP has stated that PS2 games are actually still being made, which is how they can help bring these reprints to life.

I meant 50 dollars for the reprint of the yakuza series. These reprints cost 50 $ if I am not mistaken it's not super cheap.

Online dowloads for older games are always cheaper. You can get most retro games for between 5 to 10 $ online for a console. Pretty much all expensive games such as suikoen II etc. and ofcourse having free acces to emulation wich cost nothing at all.

The only download codes wich remain in retail prices are those of very new recent games.

Also regarding spotting fake american gba games, You can easily check the cardridge if you look inside at the bottom for a nintendo logo and the imprinting.

Also if your going the cib box road the manuals of repro's are a mess instead of the high quality originals.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2017, 07:51:13 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2017, 07:15:37 pm »
I have nothing, but great things to say about reprints since they allow others to obtain a game that was otherwise discontinued or received an initial print too small to meet demand. Like some other people have said, I do not think of my collection as a monetary investment that I actively try and increase the value like it is some sort of stock. Every game I own is there because I'm interested in it, and it always irritates me when there is a specific game I really want but due to rarity I either have to get extremely lucky and find it for cheap or cough up more money than I want to to get it. Even if I do happen to have a particularly rare game, it doesn't make me feel good that many others are in a position where they are faced with the same choices. Just reprint, kill the resale market and allow gamer to play your game. That is what they were made for.

kashell

« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2017, 10:05:43 am »
I think reprints are wonderful. As a gamer, you want people to enjoy games just as much as you do. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to spend the same amount on certain titles. Even if one person -REALLY- want to play something, they may not have the ability to do it.

I use this game as an example a lot, but Panzer Dragoon Saga is an amazing experience. I really wish more people would be able to play it. If they were to make a reprint of that, it would make me insanely happy. It's kind of the way I felt with Suikoden II. When it was announced that the game was going to on PSN, I was overjoyed. It means more people can experience it.

Regarding the Yakuza series, it's always been something I've had an interest in. Yakuza through Yakuza 4 arrived in the mail on Friday and I'm glad I'm now another person that can experience the series.

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2017, 08:52:50 am »
Good lord, while VGP is reprinting Sega games, lets get VGP to get Sega/Atlus to reprint Rule of Rose.

azure

« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2017, 11:33:59 am »
Good lord, while VGP is reprinting Sega games, lets get VGP to get Sega/Atlus to reprint Rule of Rose.
+1

desocietas

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2017, 11:36:47 am »
+1

I wish! https://twitter.com/VideoGamesPlus_/status/831118379620691971
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2017, 11:38:32 am »
+1

I wish! https://twitter.com/VideoGamesPlus_/status/831118379620691971
So they had the license, but were unable to build the game to be printed?

desocietas

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2017, 11:42:00 am »

I assume they weren't able to secure licensing for a reprint? I don't know anything about publishing games, so I imagine there are like licenses for a million things. Voices, music, etc.
Currently playing:
twitch.tv/desocietas

kashell

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2017, 12:14:25 pm »

I assume they weren't able to secure licensing for a reprint? I don't know anything about publishing games, so I imagine there are like licenses for a million things. Voices, music, etc.

That's a damn shame. Rule of Rose has lots of messy areas, but I still think fans of horror games should try it.

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2017, 12:22:56 pm »

That's a damn shame. Rule of Rose has lots of messy areas, but I still think fans of horror games should try it.
I know I'd love to.  But it's gonna be one of those get it rare or wait for a work bonus or something.