Author Topic: Everything is part of a bigger plan.  (Read 3448 times)

Flashback2012

Re: Everything is part of a bigger plan.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2017, 10:52:16 pm »
I think most of us just throw our off-topic randomness into the "general" topic thread...  But I agree that it might look less spammy if Marv had his own dedicated/merged thread to throw out these ideas and polls :)

Some of his threads come across as harmless and others have me scratching my head like "DUDE...what chemicals are you on for your brain to be tripping like this?!?"  :P

Maybe going forward Marv can set himself up an all-purpose thread and post whatever the heck he wants in it. It'd reduce clutter and that way people could avoid it and not contribute if they don't want to. I don't think there's an ignore topic feature but more on that in a minute.  :P

Are VGCollect's forums going down the same route as Silent Hill Wiki with it's circumcision BS? I mean do these threads belong here?

This is the "Off-Topic" section.

As long as no rules are broken, everything is game in this section.

I think the "Off" in that title was taken a little too seriously for some.

I haven't looked at any of the updates to the site lately, though I believe there were plans to "address the number of low-quality posts" here such as this one.

It's pretty ridiculous, though I do wish there was a way to remove the "Latest Threads" tab on your personal page if you didn't want to see things like this. Or better yet, create an exclusive "Crazy Topic Post" forum section where you're free to trip balls, and it doesn't display in the latest threads. -shrug-

This just seems like bitching to me. If you don't want to read someone's post, then don't click on it. That simple.

I don't read every single post on this forum, and I don't think anyone else does either.

This seems like bitching about bitching LOL.  :P

I don't think it's quite as simple as you're making it out to be. I can't speak for Nick but when I come here, I click on the "Show unread posts since last visit" in the upper right hand corner. There's a few threads that I don't participate in including "Recently completed/finished", "What are you playing?" and "52 Game Challenge 2017". They show up as unread posts because they're popular with other members and in order for me to clear up my list of unread threads, I have to click on "view last post" to remove them from the list. Like I said, I wish there was an "Ignore this thread" option (and if there is, I'm not fully aware of it  ;)).

Nickkchilla

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2017, 11:01:03 pm »
I think most of us just throw our off-topic randomness into the "general" topic thread...  But I agree that it might look less spammy if Marv had his own dedicated/merged thread to throw out these ideas and polls :)

I'm sure most of us would agree. That'd be pretty cool.

maximo310

« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2017, 01:10:47 am »
Yeah a general thread of " Marv's Musings" would be way better than half a dozen new threads in a week about spicy food or the newest fever dream craze ( as funny as that can be at times).

I think the argument that its just " people bitching" kinda misses the point, as there were similar threads by other users in the past that were just a bit too random for off topic tastes ( like that lordscott guy and his world salads of wanting acceptance for liking japanese games). It just gets too excessive for most of us.

Warmsignal

« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2017, 01:19:04 am »
I'm going to be the voice of opposition here - I actually find it kind of irritating when people post just to complain about a thread they don't like, or to make rude comments because of the way some of our members word their posts, or if they don't have a TLDR version of what they want to talk about. If it weren't for some of our more eccentric regulars, I don't think there would be any new posts to speak of, especially when it comes to the Off Topic section. Really, what do you guys feel is being bumped out? A whole bunch of nothin'.

For the record, I always read Marv's new posts because I find them interesting. What I don't normally read are most of the "update/recent/new" topics. :-X I enjoy a forum where the conversation is always changing. At some point you need to talk about something other than what we collect, or nerd-out over. But I don't see a lot of that going on here.

I disagree on the idea of grouping all of one user's posts into one topic. Sounds like an excuse to ignore content that you just don't want to see.

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2017, 03:48:38 am »
I'm going to be the voice of opposition here - I actually find it kind of irritating when people post just to complain about a thread they don't like, or to make rude comments because of the way some of our members word their posts, or if they don't have a TLDR version of what they want to talk about. If it weren't for some of our more eccentric regulars, I don't think there would be any new posts to speak of, especially when it comes to the Off Topic section. Really, what do you guys feel is being bumped out? A whole bunch of nothin'.

For the record, I always read Marv's new posts because I find them interesting. What I don't normally read are most of the "update/recent/new" topics. :-X I enjoy a forum where the conversation is always changing. At some point you need to talk about something other than what we collect, or nerd-out over. But I don't see a lot of that going on here.

I disagree on the idea of grouping all of one user's posts into one topic. Sounds like an excuse to ignore content that you just don't want to see.
I think most of the problem comes from the fact that some of these threads read more like personal musings instead of something that kicks off a conversation. You can't get a serious discussion when a topic op is something like " Toilet paper: over or under?"

Of course it's great to encourage more discussion in off-topic from all members, but i think people want it to be a bit more focused instead of the rambling tangent that starts off some of these threads ( like this one).
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 03:50:41 am by maximo310 »

desocietas

« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2017, 03:57:29 am »
Like I said, I wish there was an "Ignore this thread" option (and if there is, I'm not fully aware of it  ;)).

I haven't used it yet, but there is a "unnotify" button in the top right (below your user photo). Maybe that turns off the "new" notifications?
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

Flashback2012

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2017, 05:44:38 am »
Like I said, I wish there was an "Ignore this thread" option (and if there is, I'm not fully aware of it  ;)).

I haven't used it yet, but there is a "unnotify" button in the top right (below your user photo). Maybe that turns off the "new" notifications?

I'm not seeing this button. Perhaps it's only available to Moderators/Admins?  ;)

Edit: I do see five buttons at the top of the thread. "Reply", "Notify", "Mark Unread", "Send This Topic" and "Print". I haven't tried clicking on "Notify" to see if it changes to "Unnotify" or not.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 05:50:35 am by Flashback2012 »

desocietas

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2017, 12:12:28 pm »

I'm not seeing this button. Perhaps it's only available to Moderators/Admins?  ;)

Edit: I do see five buttons at the top of the thread. "Reply", "Notify", "Mark Unread", "Send This Topic" and "Print". I haven't tried clicking on "Notify" to see if it changes to "Unnotify" or not.

Ah, yeah maybe it's on admin side only but seems like an option that anyone could use maybe.  :-[
Currently playing:
FFXIV (PC), The Witcher (PC), Monster Hunter World: Iceborne (PS4)
twitch.tv/desocietas

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2017, 12:32:24 pm »
What do you mean there's not an ignore option? Why can't you ignore it? Just don't click on it.

And you talk of civility, but you, as a newb, go onto someone else's thread and tell them it's crap and you don't want to see it.

Never did I say you have to like this guy's thread. But in the same measure, you don't have to go and trash his threads just because you think they're silly. Like I said, he has broken no rules. Last I checked, he has just as much right to make this thread, being that it's in the off-topic section, as someone that makes a thread about Mega Man.

I find it beyond belief that you can hijack someone else's thread and then turn around and cry foul. Don't throw stones from a glass house.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 01:17:21 pm by burningdoom »

totallycrushed

« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2017, 01:16:55 pm »
« Last Edit: September 11, 2018, 12:45:03 pm by totallycrushed »

dreama1

« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2017, 12:40:45 am »
What do you mean there's not an ignore option? Why can't you ignore it? Just don't click on it.

And you talk of civility, but you, as a newb, go onto someone else's thread and tell them it's crap and you don't want to see it.

Never did I say you have to like this guy's thread. But in the same measure, you don't have to go and trash his threads just because you think they're silly. Like I said, he has broken no rules. Last I checked, he has just as much right to make this thread, being that it's in the off-topic section, as someone that makes a thread about Mega Man.

I find it beyond belief that you can hijack someone else's thread and then turn around cry foul. Don't throw stones from a glass house.

Kinda' hard to ignore the thread with an intriguing title when it's plastered all over the site, not just on the forum side of things.
Then again, I don't use VGC's forums at all but when this kind of shit and toilet paper threads pop up on every page I go to, it makes me want to say something.

OP has a right to post whatever he wants if it doesn't break the sites rules but then again, I have my right comment on it if my comment doesn't break the sites rules.

You can rest easy though, I'm not going to use the forums here hardly at all.
But next weeks post is occult worship of Cthulhu.

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2017, 10:26:06 am »
] But next weeks post is occult worship of Cthulhu.
Nah it'll be about how there is no God, there is only Zuul.

Nickkchilla

« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2017, 09:59:04 pm »

I find it beyond belief that you can hijack someone else's thread and then turn around and cry foul. Don't throw stones from a glass house.

Guess we're doing this. Yay.

That's very nice that you can look at the number of posts that I've made and read status profiles. Congratulations. Clearly that's all the experience I have anywhere ever. This is sarcasm if you couldn't tell. It has no merit on anything I've said.

Also, don't put words in my mouth. I didn't say the posts were "crap". Did I say that? I'm sure I didn't say that. Nor did I ever directly address him. There's a way to speak of or suggest things to people politely and cordially without disrespect, opposed to spewing the vitriol contained in your first post. This is the very definition of civility.

You can also drop the dramatics. I did not "trash" his threads. Again, I did not call the threads "crap". No one broke a glass house or threw stones or whatever. No one even hijacked the thread. It was derailed by another user. I literally made a comment in response to this and for the first time, received a nice, informative response from an admin in return. I even learned a few tricks about the site's interface. I was plenty satisfied. Now there are comments in response from you, some about toilet paper, and others about worshiping our one true god Cthulhu.

I'm also aware you never said anyone had to like his thread. I'm pretty sure anyone who read what you typed is aware you never said anything about liking it. I don't get it.

No one is disputing rights about posting whatever. Anyone can do that and it's fine. And yes, even my avatar Mega Man can make a post after defeating Post Man. That's not, and never was the issue. This here simply tells me that, again, you missed the entire point of the original post.

You seem fairly keen on giving simple advice, and I'd hate to see you have to share it again. You could take your own sagely advice and simply not click the thread, ignore my response and be done, but I'm sure I'll see you again soon.

As for me? I know my compulsion will get the better of me and I'll just be dying to click on this thread again.

Longingly awaiting your response with hugs and kisses,

~Nickkchilla ❤

« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:36:00 am by Nickkchilla »

Nickkchilla

« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2017, 10:26:28 pm »

Ah, yeah maybe it's on admin side only but seems like an option that anyone could use maybe.  :-[

I haven't seen that function anywhere, but would really like to use this. If it's currently an admin only feature, maybe it can be implemented for users?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 04:36:24 am by Nickkchilla »

kashell

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 10:38:07 am »
I -think- understand where Nickkchilla is coming from. This site has a smaller community of users, so when a new topic appears it's going to be opened just for a change of scenery. Someone mentioned that you can only talk about collecting for so long before it starts to get kind of drab. It's good to have variety.

Sure, Marvel's ideas are a bit out there for most, but they are a nice break from the norm. They offer something no one else would think about. That's cool. I read them, have a laugh, maybe give an eye roll, and move on. He's not trolling. But, neither is Nickkchilla.

Personally, I never click on the "Month - Recent Pick Ups" threads because I'm not interested in them. I don't mind that they're there, though.

EDIT: Also, BD...I'm not sure why you're calling Nickkchilla a "newb" and using then "people in glass houses" adage, but what about doing unto others as you would have them do unto you?