Author Topic: Genre Suggestion - Compilation or Collection  (Read 875 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Genre Suggestion - Compilation or Collection
« on: May 08, 2017, 12:57:20 pm »
Title pretty much explains this post.

I think we should have "Compilation" or "Collection" as a genre-selection when adding games.

It would fit for games like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or Atari Anthology, which has many different genres in them.

I wanted to put that for "Disney Afternoon Collection, The" when I added it for XBox One, but settled for "Other".

Re: Genre Suggestion - Compilation or Collection
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 01:38:08 pm »
Agreed there are many games that would fit under this category I am surprised that it isn't one yet.

fazerco

PRO Supporter

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 01:56:38 pm »
But Compilation or Collection aren't Genres.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 02:32:28 pm »
But Compilation or Collection aren't Genres.

So then what genre would something like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection be if not Compilation?

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 06:38:12 pm »
An issue I could see arising is collisions that includes games of all the same, or mostly the same genre. For example the BioShock collection can be FPS, or the Disney/Capcom collection could be considered platformer.  This may just lead to edit wars between people. Compilations almost needs to be its own flag.

So then what genre would something like Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection be if not Compilation?

Classic? Other?
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 06:39:50 pm by badATchaos »

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 11:26:47 pm »
Seems like the best option would be a "Collection - Mixed" for the collections that are of multiple genres. If the collection'd be for all one genre, then it'd just get the standard tag for that genre.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2017, 01:32:15 pm »
An issue I could see arising is collisions that includes games of all the same, or mostly the same genre. For example the BioShock collection can be FPS, or the Disney/Capcom collection could be considered platformer.  This may just lead to edit wars between people. Compilations almost needs to be its own flag.

Classic? Other?

The platformer logic doesn't even work for Disney Afternoon Collection, since Tailspin is a shoot-em up.

Sure, if it's something from the same series like Master Chief Collection. But more-often-than-not compilations are multi-genre.

telly

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2017, 02:46:19 pm »
I know someone was mentioning the option to have multiple genres in a game's listing in a separate thread, which would certainly help with compilation games as well.
Currently Playing:
Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch), Super Paper Mario (Wii)

My music collection | My Backloggery

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2017, 11:20:30 am »
The items in the db (outside of digital category) are not games, thus none of them have a genre. The genre field should only be used when there is only 1 game as part of the item. Genre should apply to the game content, not to the item itself.