Author Topic: PS2 Slim vs PS2 Phat Which Your Favorite type?  (Read 2534 times)

PS2 Slim vs PS2 Phat Which Your Favorite type?
« on: May 08, 2017, 04:18:49 am »
I prefer the older and bigger  PlayStation 2's rather then all the slim. Slim Models I've owned would scratch my Discs easy. when the slim shuts off it still spins the disc. If you try to remove the Disc  my hands apply down force and the bottom of the game gets a ring scratch. I also love the fans in the older models keeping the processors nice and cool. also I read somewhere the graphics look slightly better on the older and bigger phat models.

Which do you prefer?
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

ferraroso

Re: PS2 Slim vs PS2 Phat Which Your Favorite type?
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2017, 08:02:14 am »
I really prefer the PC Engine (Turbo) Duo, and the Twin Famicom over the original models, but I consider them to be more of an upgrade to a previously existing console than a redesign.
Having said that, I think that, with the exception of the 2nd and 3rd Xbox 360 models, there is no console redesign that I prefer over the original model...

For me, the old PS2 is still one of the most beautiful (and maybe most dated haha) console designs ever!
« Last Edit: May 08, 2017, 08:08:01 am by ferraroso »

kashell

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2017, 08:09:13 am »
I like both. The fat was the first console I ever bought with my own money. The skinny was easy to mod so it can play import titles. The PS2 is awesome no matter its size.

telly

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2017, 08:19:18 am »
I have a fat PS2, and mine has stopped reading CD PS2 discs, which has made mean lean towards getting a slim when my PS2 bites the dust. Still, I've been playing it solid for over 12 years now after opening it up to clean it once :)
Currently Playing:
Alundra (PS1), Mega Man Battle Network 5: Team Protoman (Switch)

My music collection | My Backloggery

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 09:09:17 am »
Slim because there is no disk drive to fail.

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 10:12:04 am »
Aesthetically I like the the Fat model more, however after going through about three of these ever since the console launched I have become weary of them. They have notoriously bad disk drives in them and they often stop working after only about a year or two. In terms of reliability I prefer the slim. I have only had one slim die on me, and have one that has been trucking for close to ten years still.

Warmsignal

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 10:28:53 am »
Never was much of a fan of how the PS2 looked, but I'll go with the fat one for the weirdness factor. I still have mine, which was bought during the initial launch and it actually still works. But now that I have a 60 GB PS3, I no longer use it.

azure

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 10:43:51 am »
I like the way the fat looks, but the slim is the more stable model from what I can tell. So the slim is the best choice for functionality.

tripredacus

« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2017, 11:22:09 am »
I've only owned the fat PS2 model. I like how it looks in the official vertical stand as well.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2017, 12:49:02 pm »
The fat model does look nicer, like a real piece of hardware.

But the Slim Model is way more reliable. I've burned through 2 fats. Yet my Slim I've had longer and it still runs like a champ.

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2017, 02:26:00 pm »
The Phat is my favourite revision of the Ps2. I've had nothing but issues with the slim models! i've bought 3 slims and 2 of them has the ribbon cable scratch the discs and the third one died after a about a month of use. I've had my phat model for around 8 years now and played on it with no issues. :)

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2017, 07:56:05 pm »
gotta go with the fat original model.

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2017, 06:06:51 am »
I know a local repairman that I paid. to stop by PS2 phat from freezing. he fixed it. You know? the Lasers and parts can always be replaced. and then work like new. Just stop throwing away A broken PS2. you can always sell or salvage the remaining good hardware! to tech people. If it's broke try to fix it or salvage it. or pay someone to do it for you. People sell A lot of broken PS2's. and my advise is to fix yours or salvage the guts for someone else to use. :)
updated on 5-14-2024 5:30AM (EST)
MY RADIO STAION (Licensed but not a business)
(JUST INTERNET CONNECTION REQUIRED)
NO APPS NEEDED
64k stream ACC format sound meaning

Clearer Sound Quality for Half the internet data Usage
over 28,000 song playlist and 100 automated DJ talk and history lesions "commercial free" "No subscription needed"

https://nap.casthost.net:2199/start/Justinangelradio/

(requires Google Chrome or Firefox Edge does not work with this link but other links exist)

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2017, 11:29:01 am »
Slims do tend to work last longer. And I am not and never been a fan of disc drives are auto opening in consoles. So that makes me one of the few that likes the super slim PS3 over the slim too. Paranoia that the system will eat my game. lol

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2017, 01:30:00 pm »
I know a local repairman that I paid. to stop by PS2 phat from freezing. he fixed it. You know? the Lasers and parts can always be replaced. and then work like new. Just stop throwing away A broken PS2. you can always sell or salvage the remaining good hardware! to tech people. If it's broke try to fix it or salvage it. or pay someone to do it for you. People sell A lot of broken PS2's. and my advise is to fix yours or salvage the guts for someone else to use. :)

PS2s are so cheap to get, that it would cost more to pay a repair-guy than it would to just replace the thing.