Author Topic: Shmups on a budget  (Read 4183 times)

pzeke

Re: Shmups on a budget
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2017, 06:14:30 pm »
There's also Space Megaforce, which is better crafted than several other compile titles like gunhed ( blazing lasers) or musha.

Space Megaforce is good, no argument there, but it isn't exactly a "budget" title.

At the end of the day, emulation, as you recommended, should be OPs best bet when it comes to trying good shmups; there's no doubt about it. After giving whatever game a try, one can always hunt for the physical copy to cure that itch.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2017, 06:17:07 pm by pzeke »

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

wartoy

PRO Supporter

« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2017, 06:12:36 pm »
Chaos Field Nintendo gamecube definitely pick this up while it still cheap.Its awesome.Oh and Insector X Sega Genesis.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2017, 06:19:18 pm by wartoy »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2017, 06:35:07 pm »
1945: Strikers on PS1 is a fantastic shoot-em up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

pzeke

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2017, 01:09:40 am »
1945: Strikers on PS1 is a fantastic shoot-em up that doesn't cost an arm and a leg.

This.

Or get Mobile Light Force and Shooter Space Shot for far less and still have some money left to get Shooter Starfighter Sanvein. Even after all that, you'll still have some change left.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

maximo310

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2017, 08:38:34 pm »

This.

Or get Mobile Light Force and Shooter Space Shot for far less and still have some money left to get Shooter Starfighter Sanvein. Even after all that, you'll still have some change left.
Mobile Light Force isn't worth the money due to the horrendous screen wobble and reduced screen size among other missing features. Just play it in MAME or get the Saturn Gunbird port instead.

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2017, 05:25:18 pm »

This.

Probably in the minority here, but I HATE the 1945 series, including Strikers 1999 which is technically the third game in this series. It is one of my least favorite shooters, if not my least favorite shooter I've ever played.

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2017, 05:27:54 pm »
Chaos Field Nintendo gamecube definitely pick this up while it still cheap.Its awesome.Oh and Insector X Sega Genesis.

I'd actually just recommend getting this:

Has Chaos Field, Kuros, and Radirgy on it, and costs just a little more than getting Chaos Field by itself on the Gamecube. I'm not a huge fan of any of these games particualrly, but worth owning for the price.

« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2017, 05:51:27 am »
Browse the Virtual Console on the Wii.  100 points = $1.  So if a Genesis game is 800 points it means it costs $8.

I recommend Dead Moon, Dragon Spirit and R-Type for the TurboGrafx-16.  There's also Gate Of Thunder and Lords Of Thunder for the Turbo CD.  If I remember correctly TG-16 games cost 600 points each.  I'm not sure about the Turbo CD pricing.