Author Topic: What console do you think has the most consistent library?  (Read 4762 times)

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

Re: What console do you think has the most consistent library?
« Reply #30 on: September 16, 2017, 02:25:16 am »
I think the Dreamcast and Wii U tend to come up so much because they had pitifully small lifespans and libraries. Yeah there aren't that many terrible Wii U or Dreamcast games but there's hardly any..games at all.

The Virtual Boy and Sega 32x had hardly any games. Wii U and Dreamcast have plenty.

« Reply #31 on: September 16, 2017, 11:37:21 pm »
I am kind of surprised no one has mentioned the Gamecube. The Gamecube Library has some of the best games ever made. Not only that, it has exclusive titles that were eccentric and at times just kinda weird (but in a good way).  :D

« Reply #32 on: September 17, 2017, 12:34:30 am »
I think the Dreamcast and Wii U tend to come up so much because they had pitifully small lifespans and libraries. Yeah there aren't that many terrible Wii U or Dreamcast games but there's hardly any..games at all.

The Virtual Boy and Sega 32x had hardly any games. Wii U and Dreamcast have plenty.
Well sure by comparison. Compared to more successful consoles they don't have too much though

sworddude

« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2017, 05:21:48 am »
Why is this even a discussion

My option would be the neo geo aes.

Yea sure people could complain about variety and only arcade games but were on a mainly retrogame forum, most people love the arcade games.

And if were really looking for the most consistent library neo geo cd wins this race

Since on that console the 5% gambling are gone if I'm not mistaken.

100% arcade games shoot em ups and 2d fighting games. You can't get any higher than that with any other console.

You could say loading times but that's not what this topic is about. neo geo cd for the win 100% consistency with good games even the sport games are arcade like and fun to play.

@jdsizzleslice

There are not to many gamecube games that are good. Pretty much only first party titles and very few 3rd party gamecube games wich are good

with more than 500 games It's hard to say that more than even a 100 games are good

A consistency of only around 20% in the best case that's not really to great if I'm honest the gamecube has allot of filler.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 05:27:26 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

ferraroso

« Reply #34 on: September 21, 2017, 09:04:51 am »
There are not to many gamecube games that are good. Pretty much only first party titles and very few 3rd party gamecube games wich are good

I need to agree with you there. The GameCube is, together with the SNES, the one of the only two Nintendo home consoles that I can say that I like, but, especially if you take into consideration it's Japanese library, amount of shovelware unfortunately takes the it out of this list...

undertakerprime

PRO Supporter

« Reply #35 on: September 22, 2017, 09:04:18 am »
This discussion seems to illustrate an interesting point:
The more popular, longer-lived consoles typically can't be considered for the most consistent library because they were the ones that attracted companies looking to poop out shovelware to make a quick buck.

I may have to go with the Neogeo. When every game cost as much as a new console back in the day, the quality had to be top notch for people to shell out that kind of money for each one. No room for $200 shovelware.

It would be fascinating to see which console has the highest percentage of games which are generally considered to be "good". T'would be an arduous undertaking, methinks.

sworddude

« Reply #36 on: September 22, 2017, 04:13:23 pm »
This discussion seems to illustrate an interesting point:
The more popular, longer-lived consoles typically can't be considered for the most consistent library because they were the ones that attracted companies looking to poop out shovelware to make a quick buck.

I may have to go with the Neogeo. When every game cost as much as a new console back in the day, the quality had to be top notch for people to shell out that kind of money for each one. No room for $200 shovelware.

It would be fascinating to see which console has the highest percentage of games which are generally considered to be "good". T'would be an arduous undertaking, methinks.

Neo geo CD has 100% arcade games no shovel ware at all you cannot get any higher than this console. sure same games compared to the main systems but less and without certain games.

The neo geo mvs and Neo geo aes had a very small % of gambling and quiz games 95% good games wich would give them 2nd place.

Sports games on the neo geo consoles are fun arcade games nothing in comparison to console sport games. Some of those sport games are really superb.

Furthermore pretty much all games were made by SNK themselves so crappy games are out of the question, a few obsecure non snk titles by sunsoft but than again they happen to make great and interesting games.

You could always take some uncommon systems into consderation like the capcom home console or the fm towns marty wich only have arcade games if I am not mistaken quite good ones at that also a 100%, but than again can you call these systems consoles? in my opinion not.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 04:05:17 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

shadowzero

PRO Supporter

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2017, 05:28:06 pm »
Let me start off by saying I agree with all of you.  However, I will throw my hat in for the NES and here's why.  Nintendo with the NES ended the video game crash of the eighties by differentiating itself  from all those who came before it.  Marketing the NES as a toy instead of a video game system, showing what the game actually looked like on box cover art (think black box launch titles), and ratcheting iron clad quality control on third party developers created the FIRST consistent quality system I'd say.  It may not seem like it now but Nintendos' business practices are the reason the market is the way it is today with the big 3 and not over saturation. Yep even with ALL the crappy games in the NES library there are MANY that developers build on to this day.