Author Topic: What console do you think has the most consistent library?  (Read 4510 times)

turf

PRO Supporter

Re: What console do you think has the most consistent library?
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2017, 09:40:29 am »
I might be biased but for me the SNES is the winner.  So many great games.

But for every Super Mario World, there was a Bebe's Kids.  For every Super Metroid, there was a Pit Fighter. 
See what I'm getting at?  There were loads of stinkers on the SNES.  Tons of GREAT games, but tons of trash too.

Out of everything released for a given system, I'd have to say Neo-Geo AES.

AES is probably the winner.  It had a small library and mostly above average games.  Nothing that really changed my life or was a killer game, but no real trash either.

Warmsignal

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:55 pm »
Yeah Neo Geo, because everything was a fighter.... I know not everything was a fighter, but everything was a fighter. Fighters, fighters, fighters. That's consistent.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2017, 02:37:33 pm »
None of my favorite Neo Geo games are fighters. The Metal Slug series, Magician Lord, Shock Troopers 1 & 2, Blazing Star, and Aero Fighters 1 & 2.

While they were few and far in-between, they were all very good.

And fighters or not, they were still top-quality fighters. It's not like you were getting Pit-Fighter on Neo Geo.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:02:18 pm by burningdoom »

ferraroso

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2017, 07:15:40 pm »
SNK is (or was) my favorite video game company and I also agree that the AES probably has the best percentage of good (or awesome) games released.
However, I believe that the lack of variety in its library cannot be ignored if we are to choose what console had the most "consistent" library. And that's why I believe the Dreamcast wins in this category.

brazbit

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2017, 11:03:48 pm »
Atari's Home Pong console, Not much in the way of selection but if you want consistency it sits at a perfect 100%. ;)

« Reply #20 on: August 11, 2017, 04:37:07 pm »
I would have to say the Genesis. They have a lot of great hidden gems, console ports, multiplayer, and mature content for a retro machine.

« Reply #21 on: August 11, 2017, 07:37:16 pm »
I would have to say the Genesis. They have a lot of great hidden gems, console ports, multiplayer, and mature content for a retro machine.

The Genesis / Mega Drive had a decent selection from every genre, that's right but it also suffers from many titles with below average quality. I tend to say, 50-60% of the Genesis library is just shovelware or junkware.

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: August 11, 2017, 07:55:50 pm »

The Genesis / Mega Drive had a decent selection from every genre, that's right but it also suffers from many titles with below average quality. I tend to say, 50-60% of the Genesis library is just shovelware or junkware.

Yeah, there's a lot of duds on the Genesis.

DreamsDied13101

PRO Supporter

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2017, 02:12:30 pm »
Interesting to see the Wii U and Dreamcast fetching so much of the vote since both consoles performed miserably. I would have to agree though. Both are probably my two favorite consoles. If you factor in the Wii U e-shop titles you might drop Wii U off the list. It is hard to find much good there unless you count Virtual Console.

I own an AES and a lot of games and my only argument against it for this thread is that they are arcade titles. So they are consistently good games if you love arcade titles. I certainly do, but they are not everyone cup of tea and there is not a lot of variety.

The Day That Dreams Died 01/31/01

« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2017, 07:58:30 pm »
Well if we are going to talk about consistency in a negative sense then I guess you could put down the Wii as most consistent. For every great game that was released on it, you had twenty quick and dirty minigame collections. We haven't had a ratio like that on a successful system since the Atari days.

« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2017, 08:27:17 pm »
If we're talking about consistency then i'd say the Dreamcast, but if we're talking about which consoles have my favorite games then i'd say PS3/Xbox 360 and Xbox one/PS4

redblaze57

PRO Supporter

« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2017, 09:58:22 pm »
Mattel Hyperscan has the most consistent library. Nothing on that system is good at all.

pzeke

« Reply #27 on: August 24, 2017, 09:18:53 pm »
I know a lot of people like the Dreamcast and what have you, but if we're going by consistency as far as games I like/would like to play, then to me it isn't. I have a wantlist and the Dreamcast happens to be in it, as I would like to own one sometime someday, but game-wise I only have exactly 28 games listed that I'd like to get, and of the 28 some have been ported to other consoles. The same can be said about the Wii U, it's in my wantlist, but the games I'd like to get roughly reach 20.

The PlayStation 2 for me is the most consistent, as I have around 300+ games that I've played some way or another and like, and still have more in my wantlist that I would like to get. Having acquired a TEST PS2 has broaden the horizon even more.

I know your every move behind this face; I have control over expendable slaves.
When confrontation comes down to the wire, I'll use my cyclotrode to commence the fire.
You're never gonna get me!

leonefamily

PRO Supporter

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2017, 09:51:03 pm »
PlayStation 2. There's no asking needed. PS2 is the ultimate king!
Freeze iou imperialist pig! Zat is ze propertay of ze Gouvernement Français. Hand eet over!

« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2017, 01:46:18 am »
I think the Dreamcast and Wii U tend to come up so much because they had pitifully small lifespans and libraries. Yeah there aren't that many terrible Wii U or Dreamcast games but there's hardly any..games at all.