Author Topic: Super Mario Odyssey  (Read 1639 times)

athmaus

Super Mario Odyssey
« on: August 04, 2017, 01:54:59 pm »
This game is going to be awesome!! I can't wait for the first 3D mario game in ages! This seems like it will be a very very long game.  Any of you pre-order the amiibos yet? 

What about the game interests you?

dashv

PRO Supporter

Re: Super Mario Odyssey
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2017, 05:19:15 pm »
This game is going to be awesome!! I can't wait for the first 3D mario game in ages! This seems like it will be a very very long game.  Any of you pre-order the amiibos yet? 

Ages?

Super Mario 3D World for WiiU?

:)

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2017, 05:48:42 pm »
Definitely the first proper one of this style since Sunshine.  I'm very excited for this as I haven't found the 3D Mario games to be very great for awhile now and they got real lazy with 3D Mario World.  I just like that we are getting proper game worlds.  Sadly we won't be getting good hub world, but at least the game worlds is there.

indenton

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2017, 07:53:04 pm »
I suppose it would be the willingness to introduce all sorts of different new worlds and new characters, existing characters are being peppered about but it's a 'new' adventure with new ways to traverse the land. 

1 or 2 new power-ups and the same level design and aesthetic isn't doing it for me anymore.  In Super Mario Odyssey, all that transforming malarkey hits the nail on the head for me. 

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2017, 08:52:27 pm »
I suppose it would be the willingness to introduce all sorts of different new worlds and new characters, existing characters are being peppered about but it's a 'new' adventure with new ways to traverse the land. 

1 or 2 new power-ups and the same level design and aesthetic isn't doing it for me anymore.  In Super Mario Odyssey, all that transforming malarkey hits the nail on the head for me.

Yeah this the first time since at least Galaxy 1 that it feels like they are actually trying with Mario.  I was never a huge fan of the Galaxy games, but they were at least unique.  Then it was just all the New Super Mario Brothers stuff they did, which kinda took over the 2D and 3D stuff and I really wasn't very impressed with 3D Land/World.  World just felt like a sequel planned for the 3DS, but since they weren't going to have  a proper new 3D Mario game, they just moved the production to Wii U to get that out.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2017, 05:04:04 am »
It seems, that Mario Odyssey is going to be a complex 3D-platformer with hires textures and a detailed world. I don't really like that. I prefer the simplistic and minimalistic look of Mario 64. It also just doesn't "feel" right. Mario is a fantasy character. Why does Nintendo feel the need to put him into a realistic world surrounding? Also, to much detail only distract from the gameplay in my opinion. Not a big fan of that, while I admit that the recent Zelda game worked out pretty good from what I heard.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2017, 05:06:15 am by blurks »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2017, 12:29:41 pm »
Mario 64 gameplay is boring. Big, open, empty collectathons. And we lost a big part of the Mario fun when they went with minimal power-ups. Give me a 3D World or 2D Mario any day over the Super Mario 64 style.

pacpix

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2017, 02:21:57 pm »
Loved 3D World, but also very excited for a more Mario 64/Sunshine style game again.  Going to pick up a Switch when it comes out in October.

Currently Playing: Dark Souls: Remastered (Switch)

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2017, 09:36:50 pm »
2 of my top 10 favorite games of all time are 3D Mario Platformers :D.  I can't wait for Mario Odyssey :).  I am most excited about the beautiful open world level design it appears to have like sunshine.  It looks incredible.  I wasn't aware of the Amiibos though, I will definitely have to Pre order those :D.   

athmaus

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2017, 11:29:47 am »

Ages?

Super Mario 3D World for WiiU?

:)

That is more of a port of the New Super Mario Lan for 3DS.  It is good, but not a proper entry in series since Galaxy 2 IMHO

dashv

PRO Supporter

« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2017, 10:47:43 pm »
Put your hat on the dinosaur.

You are the dinosaur.

*drops mic and walks off stage*

Warmsignal

« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:44 am »
Mario 64 gameplay is boring. Big, open, empty collectathons. And we lost a big part of the Mario fun when they went with minimal power-ups. Give me a 3D World or 2D Mario any day over the Super Mario 64 style.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yii1u2Lz-II