Author Topic: What do you think was the worst gaming fad of all time?  (Read 3872 times)

ferraroso

Re: What do you think was the worst gaming fad of all time?
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 04:08:00 am »
I've never been affected too much by microtransactions (maybe with Plants vs. Zombies 2...), so I believe motion controls (i.e. the Wii as a whole) was, by far, the worst.
Many games that could've been great were, in my opinion, ruined by this curse.

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 04:38:43 am »
On disc DLC.

Sure, some people complain about day one DLC, but that can have justified reasons, but to have advertised DLC costing $5-30 and having it wind up being a 500 kilobyte unlock code is just plain insulting and money grabbing.

sworddude

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2017, 06:24:32 am »
Everyone is talking about motion controls being bad, wii sports etc are crap I won't disagree

Sure there are many crappy games with motion controls but I cannot name a single really good game wich has this issue on the wii. Why would you play shovelware in the first place It's a waste of time

If they were included it was suddle and usually fitted the games pretty well in my opinion.

Zelda, mario kart galaxy wario shake dimension wario smooth moves you name it. They were not always your standard games so I have to disagree on that one worked quite well to be fair.

Also many games could be played with a normal pro controller and those games didn't have any motion controls gimmicks included so it was only done for certain games.
They weren't really terrible but in the vast majority of games they weren't really used to add to the experience in any meaningful way or the game would've been slightly better without them. In Super Mario Galaxy for example, many of the sections where you actually have to extensively use motion controls, like the awkward ball rolling levels or the whole "grab this with a cursor" sections were usually considered the worst parts of the game.

Personally though I think my Wii experience would've been generally better if I didn't have to awkwardly use the wiimote like a mouse the whole time

To be fair I actually found the ball rolling levels allot of fun  especially the hard one on the bonus galaxy that one was pretty creative. Steering is pretty easy if you got the hang of it.

Furthermore It did fit the game pretty well even those other motion sections. Also many praise these games to be perfect not to mention many find the galaxy series to be the best mario 3D games ever made inlcuding me so to be fair I really wonder if those motion controls were really that annoying to many people.

Don't forget that many people did not finish these 2 games a 100% or even only give it a small play through I did finish them so maybe that's a factor since many people find this easy enjoyable games to be hard or didn't play them allot.

People don't like chance and complain about everything but I have to disagree was pretty minor and in the instance of mario galaxy not bad at all, I can't imagine another way to play those levels or this game. Would feel pretty different without motion controls.

Mario 3d world wii u however that is a bad(the worst) mario 3D game no questions asked. no motions controls wich is good but it felt so boring to play through it was like a new super mario bros title but the 3D aspect was kinda gone thanks to that, there were more flaws wich made it worse but i was dissapointed even with 4 players. How can they ruin the mario 3D franchise so badly :P
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:31:28 am by sworddude »
Your Stylish Sword Master!

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 06:36:09 am »
Another for motion controls.  I might've liked the Wii more had it not had them.  It was alright for novelty games, Wii Sports and minigame stuff, but it was never good to me for proper games like Skyward Sword (Regularly having to recenter the controller), Resident Evil 4 (If RE4 was more of a rail shooter, maybe it would've been fine, and it didn't have Motion Plus available then), or Super Mario Galaxy (I remember having to waggle for moves and just no).  Was part of the reason I never liked Galaxy 1 or 2.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 06:45:56 am by kamikazekeeg »

sworddude

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2017, 01:33:30 pm »
Another for motion controls.  I might've liked the Wii more had it not had them.  It was alright for novelty games, Wii Sports and minigame stuff, but it was never good to me for proper games like Skyward Sword (Regularly having to recenter the controller), Resident Evil 4 (If RE4 was more of a rail shooter, maybe it would've been fine, and it didn't have Motion Plus available then), or Super Mario Galaxy (I remember having to waggle for moves and just no).  Was part of the reason I never liked Galaxy 1 or 2.

Fair enough, however as far I see it people who complain about motion controls do not even give the games a chance while they are great.

It doesn't chance the fact that the mario galaxy series for example remains one of the best if not the best mario 3D games. It's up there for a reason everyone can have games that they don't like but the majority tends to disagree on this one.

Not to mention the very creative lvl designs wich were very refreshing compared to the older mario 3D games gameplay was very solid.

As far as resident evil goes there is no reason to play these games on a non sony console those are not the kinda games that you would buy a wii for in the first place.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:36:53 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2017, 02:51:25 pm »
^ Well that's a blanket statement.

I own a Wii with many games. While there are exceptions, for the most part, my Wii collection is neglected mostly because I don't want to bother with motion controls. And if there are two versions of a game, I will ALWAYS choose the other versions over the Wii version because of motion controls.

So it's not that I never try them, it's that I genuinely don't like them.

sworddude

« Reply #21 on: October 04, 2017, 03:22:46 pm »
^ Well that's a blanket statement.

I own a Wii with many games. While there are exceptions, for the most part, my Wii collection is neglected mostly because I don't want to bother with motion controls. And if there are two versions of a game, I will ALWAYS choose the other versions over the Wii version because of motion controls.

So it's not that I never try them, it's that I genuinely don't like them.

I've checked your wii collection to be fair many of the common good games are missing I don't even see the mario galaxy games or smash bros games. kinda falls in my statement of people not being fond of motion controls ignoring the wii library.

Furthermore games with multiple versions are not the games wich i am talking about obviously we are talking about wii exclusives.

I could be wroing if that isn't your full wii collection of 20 games but if it is you really missed allot of the good stuff, many of the excellent wii exclusives.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 03:30:02 pm by sworddude »

burningdoom

PRO Supporter

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2017, 04:04:58 pm »
I had the Galaxy games, traded them because, once again, I don't like motion controls. So I hardly played it. And I don't own any Smash Bros. games on any systems, not a fan of them.

I think 20 games, are a well rounded experience. I mean, it doesn't make sense to keep buying games for a motion control system I hardly care for.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 04:32:16 pm by burningdoom »

Agozer

« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2017, 04:29:27 pm »
For what it's worth, I adore Super Mario 3D World. I also like touchscreen implementations in most WiiU games.

Anyway, another one for motion controls. Being a Wii/U owner, I have sort of gotten used to it, but I still struggle with some games that exclusively use motion controls; the Trauma Center games are the chief offenders, because I just don't have the necessary steadiness and precision needed for such games (no, I will never get to be an actual surgeon).

Super Mario Galaxy games are better at this, but I would still prefer regular controls anyday. Unfortunately, there are many games in the Wii library with mandatory Remote+Nunchuck controls, with no option for the Classic Controller.

« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2017, 04:56:15 pm »
Fair enough, however as far I see it people who complain about motion controls do not even give the games a chance while they are great.

It doesn't chance the fact that the mario galaxy series for example remains one of the best if not the best mario 3D games. It's up there for a reason everyone can have games that they don't like but the majority tends to disagree on this one.

Not to mention the very creative lvl designs wich were very refreshing compared to the older mario 3D games gameplay was very solid.

As far as resident evil goes there is no reason to play these games on a non sony console those are not the kinda games that you would buy a wii for in the first place.

I beat Skyward Sword and Twilight Princess and dabbled in enough other games to work up a good understanding of the controls and how much I didn't like them.  I even sold my Wii after a year that I bought on launch day because I wasn't really liking the system.  Personally, I'd rather play Sunshine or Mario 64 over the Galaxy series.  I plan to give them another try once Nintendo ever releases the virtual console again or an HD re-release of them, as my issues with Galaxy aren't purely due to motion controls, though hopefully they can add regular controls into the game.  Would be nice, but not expecting it.

sworddude

« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2017, 07:42:46 pm »
I had the Galaxy games, traded them because, once again, I don't like motion controls. So I hardly played it. And I don't own any Smash Bros. games on any systems, not a fan of them.

I think 20 games, are a well rounded experience. I mean, it doesn't make sense to keep buying games for a motion control system I hardly care for.

This was exactly my point, don't liking motion controls and giving them games the boot early on

That aside it does not matter if you like it or not It's just an opinion after all I'm just giving an opinion why I think people dislike motion controls even when they are done well or are very minimal in for example the mario galaxy games.

The mario galaxy games aside from the minor motion control parts had exactly the same button imputs as mario sunshine, All the different jump variations were included just like any other mario 3D game. Movement options also pretty much the same.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 07:57:43 pm by sworddude »

Warmsignal

« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2017, 11:49:38 pm »
I feel compelled to chime in and say I thought the Galaxy games were excellent. I completed both 100% and I honestly can't even remember much about the motion controls, if that gives any idea of how little impact they have on the game itself. I think you woggle to do a spin-attack (which is actually somewhat satisfying for an attack), and occasionally you point at star bits to collect them. It's not a big deal most of the time.

« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2017, 12:10:54 am »
I feel compelled to chime in and say I thought the Galaxy games were excellent. I completed both 100% and I honestly can't even remember much about the motion controls, if that gives any idea of how little impact they have on the game itself. I think you woggle to do a spin-attack (which is actually somewhat satisfying for an attack), and occasionally you point at star bits to collect them. It's not a big deal most of the time.

It was more of a combination of everything for me.  I don't like the wii-mote, I think most motion controls are pointless and not fun for more than a few minutes, the games were dropping what I liked about the previous two Mario games, and it was on a console I didn't care for.  They aren't bad, there's never really been a bad Mario game, it just wasn't working for me.

Warmsignal

« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2017, 12:37:38 am »

It was more of a combination of everything for me.  I don't like the wii-mote, I think most motion controls are pointless and not fun for more than a few minutes, the games were dropping what I liked about the previous two Mario games, and it was on a console I didn't care for.  They aren't bad, there's never really been a bad Mario game, it just wasn't working for me.

I'm not sure what's often seen as different about Galaxy in terms of just the game. Galaxy 2 was a bit more linear yes, but aside from that, never felt like they were much of a departure.

« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2017, 12:51:53 am »
I'm not sure what's often seen as different about Galaxy in terms of just the game. Galaxy 2 was a bit more linear yes, but aside from that, never felt like they were much of a departure

It's been awhile so I don't remember it perfectly, I just generally remember that they were starting to take the "Worlds" out of the game and by Galaxy 2, it was more just levels than anything.  While gameplay it could be said they were advancing the series, I felt like they were regressing back into the usual 2D Mario design, which is not what I wanted to see from the 3D Marios...

But I don't want to keep making this about Galaxy, it just comes down to where some people might say "Well it's only a little motion control, a little waggle", others like me see it as "Well it's a little motion control, a little waggle, what's the point? Just give me a regular controller."